What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Robert, I hope you're right too.

I must apologize for earlier. I woke up with some very bad news and then went to this forum.

I hope we all have a better day tomorrow.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Joe, we've known each other 11 years since I published my magazine "Movies on Laserdisc," I didn't take it personally. I figured it was just a bad day.....if I were upset I would have responded (hehe). Sorry to hear about bad news. Thanks, Joe.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

Hi Robert,

I still have that first issue! I don't think you ever produced a second. Hey, where is my refund? - Just kidding.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Roland, I hope you're kidding, I sent back all the subscription orders, and don't have the records anymore, that was 11 years ago and I figured that since no one wrote me for a year after the 1994 printing, everyone got their refund.

The magazine turned out to be too expensive to publish. I did get hundreds of letters of praise on the magazine, some even suggested a cheaper format, but the investment was huge. I think it would have gone over after a few issues but my backer cut me off after the first issue, which was my fault for having someone back me who knew nothing about magazines and that it takes a few issues to get going. I was all set-up with advertising from the major studios for issue 2 and had some big interviews from Hollywood completed, plus I had one scheduled for the next issue with member JoCaps who is on this board, at that time he was producing the Pioneer Special Editions... but of course there was only one issue.

I hope you liked that issue anyway, I have about 500 copies left unopened and am going to be putting an ad on several web sites and try to sell them off, I think it's a one-of-a-kind and somewhat collectable, so hopefully I can sell them.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I got together with fellow HTFers David, DeeF, and Haggai for Hello Dolly, as I was in town for it (and 4 other films in the Ernest Lehman tribute at the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring, MD including The King and I).

The print was just as good as I remember it from its Widescreen Weekend showing last March...un-freaking-believable. Aside from some theater acoustics issues, it looked and sounded great (although fleshtones in some scenes leaned too far on the pink side). Mercifully, it has accumulated little wear since it was printed in late 2002.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Hello Dolly! is truly amazing in 70mm. I think it's gotten a bad rap all these years, for being such a loser for Fox, and having such an indulgent budget at a time when musicals were anathema to most people. The 70mm version shows it to be a far more expressive and well-realized movie than its reputation would have suggested.

What a pleasure meeting everybody there, David Boulet, Haggai, and MatthewA!

Cheers! to us.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Hi Guys---

I was also at the 70mm screening of HELLO DOLLY on Saturday and it was every bit as amazing as everyone has indicated. Nice to meet David, Matthew and company at intermission. Hope we can convince the Silver to show more 70mm prints of vintage films. They did amazing 70mm screenings in recent years of both the Russian version of WAR AND PEACE and Tati's PLAYTIME. I do hope Fox does a better job on the HD dvd version of DOLLY---- though I still doubt it is going to capture the full experience of a 70mm presentation.

By the way.... does everyone know the famous gaffe under the titles of HELLO DOLLY? Just as Walter Matthau's name is popping up on the screen you can see an abandoned car on the right side of the screen. You can spot it on dvd, but it was especially clear in 70mm.

Jim Cobb

DeeF

Screenwriter
You can also see big highway signs at the top (under Irene Sharaff's credit) that say New York Thruway.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Tim,

If you can make it to the Paramount Theatre in Austin, they often show 70mm classics as part of their summer film series. I believe they've shown some of Fox's new 70mm prints.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Which is correct? I never saw it in 70mm? (The Sound of Music music cue, I'm referring to.)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I'm sure if FOX went through all the trouble to make a new print there will quite a few screenings.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Check out the new disk of Ryan's Daughter (if you can stand the movie). It's quite amazing, the best DVD picture I own (out of 2400). The details are literally as good as high-def.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks