What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
It looks like, between the old and new releases of TSOM, that no supplemental stone will have been left unturned! I'd better get my hands on one of the old copies though before they become impossible to find.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The Talkin' Broadway site quotes the upcoming SE DVD of the 1945 STATE FAIR is a newly Re-Mastered Expanded Edition.

Does this mean that the deleted Dick Haymes shower scene has been restored into the Movie?
Are there any other Musical Sequences that were cut?

p.s.
Joe Caps must be over the Moon with the release of one of his most requested titles, the 1962 version of STATE FAIR.
I'm also thrilled beyond belief.

Now bring on CAROUSEL and SOUTH PACIFIC. (and from Universal FLOWER DRUM SONG)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Extras aside, won't the Todd-AO version of Oklahoma take up a bit more disc space on its own since the transfer will likly be native 30fps with no encoding efficiencies gained by repeated frames like normal NTSC presentations of 24fps films? The fact that the black bar "dead space" in the 16:9 frame will be slightly smaller could also increase the necessary bit budget.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I never bought the original dvd releases of any but SOUND OF MUSIC...i was always hoping for a better transfer, anamorphic and SE.
WHOOPEEEEEEEE.

I am always amazed when i read these threads that anyone besides me is looking forward to them, that is gratifying.

The one thing i never considered is that we would get both versions of OKLAHOMA!
Unreal and HOORAY!

Oh and...wait....how do we know that we arent getting Plummer's Edelweiss tracks?
Maybe i missed that post.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'll wait for Fox's inevitable Blu-Ray HD discs.

I'd want these MINIMUM specs.: 1920x1080p (not "i"!) OAR encoding from the restored elements (hopefully 2k or 4k masters being utilized), 24 bit/192 kHz resolution digital restoration discrete surround soundtracks encoded in full bit-for-bit lossless MLP compressed or uncompressed LPCM tracks.

Dan

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I would also like to hear and see all of the Christopher plummer vocals for sound of Music, but Plummer would not let Fox use them for either the laser box or the last dvd set.
I would also love to hear the Deborah Kerr vocals for King and I.
Has anyone seen the artwork for these sets yet?

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Interesting that Plummer won't allow it, they must be pretty bad.
He sings on the cast album of CYRANO, so it isn't like his vocalizing is a secret.
(sigh) oh well.

I guess the only reason we got Audrey Hepburn and Natalie Wood's pre-records is because they were already dead and didn't have a say.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Actually, in Video Store magazine and Video Business magazine, both have listed The Sound of Music as one of the blue ray intro releases. Others were the Die Hard series, the Alien series, All About Eve and Affair to Remember. I was very glad to see Sound of Music included.

They also state that there was remastering of this soundtrack for the new dvd release, as well as picture improvements over the previous disc, I assume they are talking about the awful edge enhancement.

As for the cover of the 40th anniversary edition, it's just a blow up of the last cover. Fox should take some notice of the Warner classic covers, which use the ORIGINAL ARTWORK and always the same typeface used in the poster. Fox has never used it on any of the VHS, DVD or laserdisc (meaning the poster artwork, not the logo). These posters were designed for these films by experts, and I simply do not agree with the studios when they change them.

In any case, since this is my favorite movie, I suppose I can't skip this upcoming edition. That makes 4 different VHS tapes, 3 or 4 different laserdiscs, and now 2 dvd's. I'll need an extra space.

What I wish Fox had done this time was an "ultimate" edition. A nice 3 disc set, with a clever packaging (perhaps in the shape of a mountain?), included DTS, and everything on previous editions as well. Plus, whatever happened to the over 1-hour of footage from the 25th anniversary reunion in Hollywood? Also, in 2000, they had a reunion in Salzburg and did alot of filming, it was on ABC that year for an hour. There are the Plummer tracks (sad he won't let them use them since he almost walked off the set to get them used), there's the great ads that ABC TV aired before it's first tv showing on February 29, 1976, there are all of the screen tests which one of which is included on the Screen Test dvd's, there's interviews on shows like Mike Douglas and such shows from 1965 and 1966 (saw one recently on E with Wise/Andrews). What about the Oscar clips and Golden Globe showing the winners? The Julie Andrews Hour had a great reunion with the real Maria in which they sang a few of the film's songs and she taught Julie how to sing an authentic yodel song.

While I am excited about the new extras and possible better transfer issues, I still don't think it sounds like they went all the way. Maybe with the blu-ray version, we'll get everything.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
If Fox does indeed release TSOM on first-generation Blu-ray, I can assure you that I won't hesitate to buy a Blu-ray player and write a review of the disc; HD-DVD be damned (I really dislike Toshiba's HD-DVD...can you tell?)

Given that Disney is going to be going Blu-ray, hopefully I'll have to buy a player as a matter of course for reviewing purposes...

:D

p.s. count me as another "original poster for cover art" consumer.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I really like that cover art. I'm sure Fox will add a small Oscar figure, since it's an unwritten rule that a Best Picture-winning film should have one on the cover. Will probably pick this up.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I say we put RobertSiegel in charge of all future TSOM releases. :) I'd love to see that footage of Julie Andrews and the real Maria.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks