What's new

Sound of Music 40th, Oklahoma 50th, State Fair 60th and Two for the Road in November (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

It had better be better! Viewing the Five-Star on a 46" set in anamorphic is a hellish experience. I feel confident this will be a brand new transfer that will correct the problems cited in earlier threads. Hope they port over all the extras, too.

MattMC

Agent
I just hope that they transfer most of the extras (if not all and more) from the 5 star TSOM to this new edition. I agree that the picture quality on the 5 star disc was bad but I liked the extras that Fox included on the discs.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
So, Joe,
When did you hear "FLOWER DRUM SONG" might be coming to DVD, along with "STATE FAIR"-1962. I would much rather have the ANN-MARGARET and Bobby Darrin version, than the original, again that has has been released numerous times on DVD !!!!!

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
With any luck you'll need to buy an HD version in a few years as well.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe

I heard it recently. But if you mean when did I hear the DVD might be out, all I heard was "soon."

I'd guess next year should be the year.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
So was the transfer on the 5-star version of TSOM the same as the transfer that came out on the later two-disc edition (the one that came in the white digipak and had the numbered spine)?

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

Yes. When Fox abandoned the 5-Star line, they redid a few of the titles as the 2-Disc digipaks, but the content, including transfers, was the same.

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
I am a rabid fan of State Fair and I thought I would list what I would expect from a "Special Edition" DVD of the film-none of which is beyond the pale-(almost)all have previously appeared in a digital media:
"That's For Me" alternate version with Dick Haymes in the shower (on the previous DVD)
"It Might As Well Be Spring" alternate costume version with Jeanne Crain (mentioned earlier in this thread)
"We Will Be Together" (song by Dick Haymes and Vivian Blaine) at least the audio outtake-I don't know if it was actually filmed but the audio version should be included. It was on the cassette included on the 1992 VHS release.
As for the 60's version: Ann-Margret's personality test ("Mack the Knife") and State Fair specific screen tests ("It Might As Well Be Spring" both already on the Hollywood Screen Tests DVD)
Other screen tests for the 1962 version-Andy Williams, Barbara Eden, etc (The Sound of Movies DVD)
Anything less is really not that "special."
I hope Fox sees this and takes note-any "old movie" fan can tell you how the studios "don't know what they've got," "weren't aware" blah, blah, blah. Fox, in particular, hasn't done a decent job regarding extras.
Get this one right Fox.

felipenor

Stunt Coordinator
The sound of music:

Disc One:

- Special anniversary introduction by Julie Andrews
- Commentary by Robert Wise (from the original laserdisc)
- Commentary by Andrews and co-star Christopher Plummer
- Sing-along subtitles in English, French and Spanish

Disc Two:

- "My Favorite Things: Julie Andrews Remembers": Julie Andrews recalls the von Trapp family; she is joined by Christopher Plummer, Johannes von Trapp, Charmian Carr and film director Robert Wise

- "Julie Andrews and Christopher Plummer: A Reminiscence": The two stars sit down for an intimate fireside chat

- "On Location with The Sound of Music": Charmian Carr takes viewers on a trip to Salzburg, Austria, one of the locales made famous in the film

- "From Liesl to Gretl: A 40th Anniversary Reunion": All seven of the actors who played the von Trapp children reunite in this touching "family reunion"

- "When You Know the Notes to Sing": Highlights from Sing-a-Long-Sound of Music at the Hollywood Bowl

- "The von Trapp Family: Harmony & Discord": the 1998 A&E Biography tells the true story of the von Trapp family

- Storyboard gallery
- Behind-the-scenes photos
- Lobby cards and one-sheets and trailers and TV spots

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Looks like we're missing out on the documentary "The Sound of Music: From Fact to Phenomenon." What a shame, this was a great one. I guess I'll just have to hold on to my previous disc.

Andy

HaigH

Agent
I would only pick up the Sound of Music if it had all the extras from the previosu five star version AND if it had a new HD mastered transfer.

But if that's not the case, the once a year showing on ABC HD is sufficient to hold me over until the probable 45th anniversary Blu-ray/HD-DVD release.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I have the 5-star Sound of Music. Trying to figure out what the new one has the offer.

I love that movie, and the 5-star is one of my prized DVD's since it let me know all the things I'd been wondering about since I was a kid and first saw it. Things like who the real people were, and what happened to them after they went over the mountains at the end. And it never occurred to me the songs we hear in the movie were not the songs they sang, but of course it made sense once I thought about it.

It is hard for me to imagine a better disc.

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
That is definitely an intriguing list of extras for TSOM, but this thing must have a new transfer before I'll double dip. No new transfer correcting the EE = No sale.

Peace,

DM

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
The Sound of Music, well, I am definately keeping the 5 star collection, until I know everything is on the new disc set, which I don't think it is. Personally, they should have had a 3 disc special edition with the older features too, and DTS, that would have enticed more people to replace their discs, very dumb move. Looks like a remastered picture for sure, which I have read in 6 sources so far. Someone posted about a 4 disc edition in a different region, does anyone know any more about this?

Here's the story from the Business Wire, which makes announcements for the studios on the bigger classics:

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...89&newsLang=en

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
The new disc also doesn't seem to include the, "Original 1965 Documentary Salzburg Sight and Sound". This clearly isn't the definitive release that the Business Wire press release indicates.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
I think the dvd DOES include Salzburg sight and sound - retitles sound of music on location.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks