What's new

Sound Of Music 2010 ??????? (1 Viewer)

Brian Sharp

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Sharp
Interestingly, for pre order from Amazon France at about $24.00. Has French subtitles and three discs. Sounds too good to be true.

http://www.amazon.fr/m%C3%A9lodie-du-bonheur-Blu-ray/dp/B003T0M678

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
Originally Posted by Brian Sharp

Interestingly, for pre order from Amazon France at about $24.00. Has French subtitles and three discs. Sounds too good to be true.

http://www.amazon.fr/m%C3%A9lodie-du-bonheur-Blu-ray/dp/B003T0M678

Which brings up a question: are European editions of Fox BDs playable on US players? Since WB BDs are not region coded, I was able to buy GWTW from Amazon UK without having to pay for all the junk. It would be nice to be able to do that with this one.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Originally Posted by Marvin
Which brings up a question: are European editions of Fox BDs playable on US players? Since WB BDs are not region coded, I was able to buy GWTW from Amazon UK without having to pay for all the junk. It would be nice to be able to do that with this one.

As you said, if it's a Warner release: yes. Other studios: often not.

Warner BDs are invariably "ABC", while Sony and Fox very often release a "region-B" version in Europe. So, generally speaking, if it's a Fox release: bad luck.

But sometimes it's region free as well. You need to find out in advance.

Even if it's region-A compatible: if there are SDVD extras on the disc, you may not be able to play those extras unless you own a PAL friendly system.

Cees

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
The SOUTH PACIFIC blu-ray looked flawless. The best thing I've ever seen on Blu-ray. The color, saturation and sharpness were perfect. And they did a good job with the color filters. I was very, very disappointed that the road show version in the same set was in standard definition. I heard other people all over the internet complaining about this and I hope Fox took notice. This is a film that just gets better with each viewing and you appreciate as you get older. I only hope that THE SOUND OF MUSIC looks as good as SOUTH PACIFIC. The DVDs of THE SOUND OF MUSIC were less than stellar because they seemed to have some weird sort of video manipulation which I've never understood particularly since this was filmed in the super high-def TODD-AO. It is only being released in a $90 limited edition box set at this point. Does anyone have any idea what is being included? I can only hope they use the original poster art. Why have they never used it? It's awesome. It would also be cool if they had a nice hard-cover making-of book and maybe one of those great original 70mm film cells like they did on MY FAIR LADY when it was released in a laserdisc box set. Remember those?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, I'll wait, I'm not interested in all the "Alien" films (only "Aliens") or all "the Maginificent Seven" films (just the first) so until they are available as movie only Blu-rays I don't even consider them being released yet

It's just Fox's way of selling the crap along with the good stuff and forcing the crap on us.

But in this economy (and with DVD's still looking pretty darn good) FOX is in for short sales this Holiday season

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I sure hope Fox reconsiders and releases a disc-only version day-and-date with this big set.

I feel the same way, and am disappointed that Fox has chosen to adopt the Warner "Box 'o Junk" release model. I do not care if they create a release with all the trinkets for those people who are in to such things, but just release a disc-only version at the same time. I didn't buy any of Warner's Box 'o Junk editions, and I will not buy this one.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The SOUTH PACIFIC blu-ray looked flawless. The best thing I've ever seen on Blu-ray. The color, saturation and sharpness were perfect. And they did a good job with the color filters. I was very, very disappointed that the road show version in the same set was in standard definition. I heard other people all over the internet complaining about this and I hope Fox took notice. This is a film that just gets better with each viewing and you appreciate as you get older. I only hope that THE SOUND OF MUSIC looks as good as SOUTH PACIFIC.

When they remastered these films for that initial 6 film set back in 2005 or 2006, South Pacific already looked excellant- arguably the best looking one out of all of them.

The Bd looks wonderful, but it really just looks like the 2005/6 master with higher resolution.

I don't know if it is, but that's what it looks like to me.

They didn't seem to screw it up the second time around so that helped a lot.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The Color filters only became a problem when the film was released to Television. In the Theater (in Todd-AO) the filters looked fine, on TV the color was over-saturated leaving an unappealing image. Most of the SP releases to home video since 1994 have corrected the problem

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Amazon has "The Sound of Music " up for pre-order for $24 (DVD/Blu-ray disc only)

That's great that FOX is releasing both the box set and the barebones at the same time.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Do you have a link? When I search for it on Amazon all that comes up is the box set for $63.

Originally Posted by GMpasqua

Amazon has "The Sound of Music " up for pre-order for $24 (DVD/Blu-ray disc only)

That's great that FOX is releasing both the box set and the barebones at the same time.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Does anyone have any info on what the extras on the box set will be? Or even on the bare bones? I really hope they finally use the original release poster art which is awesome. I also hope they keep the Robert Wise commentary with the music only track. Also, I hope they go back to the original sound stems which I swear have more detailed extraneous dialogue with Maria murmuring to herself after she gets a drink from the well and walks off at the end of the MARIA number. It was scrubbed from all home video releases. Also, when I saw this in the the theatre I remember how sharp it was and I could see the pores in peoples faces and eyelashes and laugh lines. I think this is because it was originally shot in Todd-AO 70mm and had super high definition. All home video releases have been very soft and smeared-looking for some reason. Why are they afraid to release the original sharpness of 70mm films and feel like they have to be smoothed over? This is a dangerous trend lately that I hate. I wish Robert Harris would comment on this.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
For those who complained that Fox is releasing a bunch of "crap" in the box set, even though we don't know what will be included, this film is the favorite of many people, me included (my all-time favorite) and I will proudly display the box set in my collection. I don't think they are going to release a bunch of "junk" with the film. There are those who want this as a box set and I salute Fox for doing so. If you don't want it buy the bare-bones release, but don't put a studio down for treating a beloved classic with a special set.

Warnerbro-I agree with you, all other releases never looked quite right. Let's not forget, though, that this negative has been used so much more than many negatives of Hollywood films to make prints considering the popularity of the film. I have faith in Fox that this will be the ultimate version. I hope they release the Wise commentary along with the extras from both the 40th anniversary edition AND the Five Star Collection, but I also hope they go to the original 35mm music stems for a music-only track. The music-only track we have had before along with the commentary is not 1st generation from the recording studio, and you can tell because you can hear Julie singing in the background, just slightly. This would indicate it was from a 2nd generation music mix. I want the original stems, as heard on the Planet of the Apes films, where you can hear Jerry Goldsmith give the music q's. That is a 1st generation music master. And if that is included, I hope it is in DTS MA.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
Fox did a spectacular job on their boxed sets of SOUND OF MUSIC and MY FAIR LADY. I loved the gold CD on both and the books they included. Also, I got a thrill out of having a few frames of the a 70mm print of MY FAIR LADY. Usually, I couldn't care less about these boxed sets, but I'm like you. For some strange reason THE SOUND OF MUSIC has always held a strange fascination over me. It is one of my all-time favorite films. I think partly because of the beautiful scenery and music, plus it always leaves me with a good feeling.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
You could hear Julie humming, because this was like a karaolke track with the songs minus the vocals.

Also, having seen music over 126 times in the theater, trust me - this was NOT a hypersharp film but used filters in many scenes for a softer look.

Also, I have No idea about extra dialogue missing in any scene and there NEVER was Julie muttering to herself at the end of Maria.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Yes Robert, the issue was that FOX was only releasing an "expensive" Box set and not a barebone disc - which they are for $24. But they are releasing both so people should no longer complain. I welcome a box set if the extras are worth it - but with a MSRP of $90 - ouch! what could they possibly included to warrent that price? At least we now have a choice and not have to wait six months to a year for the bare bones

I have seen the film a few times in 70MM - it does look great - but there are scenes that were filmed in soft focus (the "Something Good" scene esp) so that cannot be corrected for video since it's the way the film was presented. It's the same with "Hello Dolly" (Streisand in soft focus every once in a while) Also, I have seen other 70MM films which look much sharper than "The Sound of Music" (remember FOX didn't know this would become a blockbuster when they were filming it, and less money was spent on the production compared to "Celopatra" "Star" "Doctor Dolittle" or "Hello Dolly") which look a bit better in 70MM

While the 70MM release of "The Sound of Music" played as a roadshow (usually only at one theater per city), it was the general release negative (35mm) that got the most wear, so the film should look great if transfered from 70MM.

The laserdisc boxset was heavily cleaned up - so much that Maria's eyes and feet were removed as dust when she first arrives at the Captain's house. Fox later corrected this.

Unfortunately since SOM is heavily loved by the ordinary shopper it couuld become victum to the scrubbing the "Patton" Blu-ray received (Joe six-pack does not want a grainy Sound of Music!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks