What's new

Sound Of Music 2010 ??????? (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
After viewing the South Pacific Blu-ray, I have no doubt that this release is going to be spectacular! South Pacific is, in my opinion, the best classic as far as quality yet released on Blu-ray. It's absolutely stunning. Not only the picture but to have that glorious soundtrack in DTS MA lossless makes it such a special experience to watch.

I really hope to start seeing more like King and I, Star!, Doctor Dolittle, Cleopatra and especially Hello Dolly. Also, this is the 55th anniversary of Oklahoma. I am really hoping it will be announced for this year.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Street Date at Amazon for European release is Sept 29, Rocky Horror Picture Show arrives Sept 15

Don't know if the dates will be the same in the States

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Somehow I have the feeling it is going to later here in the USA, it's already July and I would think they would have announced this already here if it were coming out at the end of September, at least to promote it more. Hopefully I am wrong, I am counting the days lol.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Looks like the pre-order for Sound of Music is up on Amazon. It shows as $89.95 retail and on sale for $63.00. This is probably a box set similar to Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind. I am most excited and was hoping for special treatment like this. According to Blu-ray.com it will only be available in the limited edition set at first. I am assuming we will see the specs and extras soon.... Fine with me, I am in!!!!! A collector's set, the first since the laserdisc box....You go Fox! Hats off!

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
People who buy "The Sound of Music" on blu-ray probably bought it on DVD (at least once) maybe on laserdisc (at least once) maybe on VHS (at least once)

The Sound of Music has been released more than 10 different times

3 times DVD

5 times on Laserdisc

at least 4 times on VHS

So why are they charging $90 for the blu-ray???? Does anyone in this current economy need to but "The Sound of Music" again? No. The last DVD looks great on my HD set, I can't imagine the blu-ray will look that much better.

If FOX thinks they will have a lot of sales for this they are razy. Most will wait te six months or so for the sell-through price (where it will be available anywhere from $10.00 to $30.00)

So far this year FOX has released few catalog titles and the 5 or 6 coming at year end are way overpriced. So much for their 75th Anniversary

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert,

I echo your enthusiasm. This was my first all-time favorite film as a child in the sixties and remains the film closest to my heart today. I will be thrilled to own this on Blu Ray and the fact that Fox appears to be giving it the royal treatment is music to my ears!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
The last DVD looks great on my HD set, I can't imagine the blu-ray will look that much better.

It should look tremendously better.

This film has not been served well on DVD and there is still plenty of room for improvement.

They could go a long way in justifying that price if they finally get this one absolutely right.

But I'll still wait for the simple disc only version down the road.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
How is quoting the MSRP price making it worse? - many store will charge that amount - not eveyone buys on-line

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
After all the attemps to get "the Sound of Music" right on dvd/laserdisc, what makes you think "this" is the time it will happen????

People kept saying the same thing the last three times it was released. What makes you think FOX won't remaster this film in another 3-4 years and get you to buy it again????

you know they will, you know the reviews will be mixed, you know Robert Harris will find something wrong

How many times have you watched your last DVD purchase of the film? Once? Twice? before your purchased the next version (which you watched once or tiwce) before you purchased the next and latest/greatest version?

You could go probably to the screenings around LA each year, and see the film for less than the cost of each video release and end up watcdhing it just as many times

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

many store will charge that amount - not eveyone buys on-line

But anyone who chooses to pay $90 instead of $60 simply isn't very bright. Even if there is some reason that one cannot buy online, the set will be deeply discounted at Best Buy, Target, Costco, et. al. upon its release. This is one of those "deluxe collectors sets" packaged with a bunch of extra garbage, and a stand-alone version will surely be made available later. Warner's similar deluxe set of Gone With the Wind had an MSRP of $84.99.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've watched portions of the current DVD countless times and have been generally pleased with it. It's a title I dip into rather than watch from beginning to end, as I've seen it theatrically too many times. It's been money well spent, as this film never fails to brighten my spirits whenever I need an uplift. All the issues of the earlier laserdisc releases were addressed and the edge enhancement found on the first release was reduced or eliminated.

My complaints with the DVD are the most minor of nitpicks (a missing bit of foley work, etc.) which do not hamper my enjoyment of the film at all. I don't think they got it "wrong" on DVD, but the uncompressed sound on Blu Ray will enable the six-track stereo to finally sound as spectacular as it should.

Mr. Harris can correct me if I'm mistaken, but I think this will be the first release since the film was given a major full-blown restoration by Fox. Given the phenomenal box-office success this film enjoyed and the fact that the early 70mm prints were probably struck off the negative, I'm sure this title had its share of issues that needed to be addressed since the last release.

I don't know that I'm expecting perfection, but I'm expecting that this will be a fine addition to my "Sound of Music" library. The 1994 laserdisc box set, with its cornocopia of bonus material, is one of my most cherished possessions and I hope the Blu Ray will half as wonderful.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

How is quoting the MSRP price making it worse? - many store will charge that amount - not eveyone buys on-line

Like I said, quoting the MSRP is just a way to make it sound worse than it actually is because no one is actually going to pay MSRP.

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I hope Target (or someone) will have a reasonably priced junkless edition..

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Then really, why even have an MSRP???

And even then $60.00 for a film that's had countless home video releases? In 6 months you'll be able to find it for $15 at Target and Frys

Some retailers will charge more than $60 and Amazon's prices change every day so it will not always be discounted. But come on, it's a piece of plastic. How much are the previous home video version currently worth?

This is like the early days of Home Video when a film cost $90 on VHS, that was 30 years ago, I thought we were past that by now

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I merged the posts of the new thread $90.00 "Sound of Music" Blu-ray from FOX - are they kidding? in here, to help making the forum more compact. And the discussions more clear.

Cees

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

I sure hope Fox reconsiders and releases a disc-only version day-and-date with this big set.

Fox charges this premium price for the "box-o-junk" edition because they know some people will pay it. I won't be paying the MSRP, but I will more than likely be getting the "box-o-junk" edition because this is one of the handful of cinema perennials, like GWTW, Oz and Casablanca that I want in a deluxe keepsake package. If they put anything more than a coupon for some schnitzel with noodles in the box, I want it.

And you know darn well that a popularly priced version is coming. Why should you have to wait? Because Fox knows they can get away with it on a title like this. Why should you have had to wait for the popularly priced general release version for nearly two years back in the sixties? Because the higher priced exclusive engagement was the most successful is motion picture history. There's no reason to expect the BluRay release not to do almost as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks