Sound clips from DVD (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
First, no, I'm not trying to pirate something =p

All I wanna do is grab a 15 second sound clip and save it to an MP3 and also get a single full size screenshot off a DVD.

What's the fastest, easiest and cleanest way to do this on OSX, preferably for free?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have grabbed sound clips by basically routing the audio output back to the input and capturing with CDSpindoctor, which is part of Toast. I believe there is a shareware app which can do it easier, but I forget the name, and you have to pay to do it.

Screen captures are a bit stickier. I think you can play the DVD with VLC, pause, and do a regular screen capture, but you get a somewhat low quality image. This does not work with DVDPlayer. There is another, higher quality method I know of, because I like getting movie stills, but it involves software which can't be discussed on HTF, because it is capable of other bad things in addition to the screen captures.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
OK John, Thanks for the info! I guess I'm gonna have to do this on the PC cause it seems a LOT simpler to do there with free software...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
VLC does work for screengrabs on the Mac, although it is a very clunky program. That is the one area where PC is much better. The free program that came with my PC had a great screengrab program as part of the regular DVD player. I do a lot of DVD screengrabs for my site, but have had to cut back because of it.

I'm not sure how to get audio files.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks