What's new

Sound card with digital (optical or coax) out (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Watson

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering getting a new soundcard so I can watch DVDs on my computer and get the surround sound experience using my receiver and 5.1 setup. I've begun looking briefly, but figured I'd ask here for any recommendations. Most decent looking cards I've seen run about $150 in stores (probably cheaper online). Do any of you have recommendations on a good, not-too-pricey card, or ones to be wary of?

Thanks,
Jeremy

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator
woops disregard, missed the optical/coax

though it is possible with a 1/8" Mini digital out

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I got a CeMedia sound card with optical in and out for $15 about a year ago on uBid. I don't know if it will specifically support Dolby Digital, but I would think that any sound card would.

RandyObert

Agent
My Abit NF7-S MB has 6 channel, Dolby, Optical output and the entire board is 120$. I replaced an Audigy 2 card with this and love it. Only card in system is my Ti4600 Abit vid card

I did pull the chip-set fan off this MB when I got it, almost NO thermal grease under fan, I run all water cooling so it got a water block in place of this fan.

This old MB and processor. I upped this to a XP2800 Barton
Pics

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Randy your post made me smack my head and say "duh". Of course my $15 CeMedia sound card supports Dolby Digital, it has 6 channel analog output in addition to the digital in and out. WinDVD 6-channel version was part of the OEM bundled software!

Works great, too.

RandyObert

Agent
15$ for 6 Channel dolby digital? can't beat that! I did finally get to use the Optical input on my cambridge 5.1 system however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks