What's new

Sound card connection? (1 Viewer)

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
I want to hook my computer up to my receiver. I use to accomplish this by using the optical or dig. coaxial out to my receiver. The motherboard with these connectors had NVIDIA's soundstorm which did Dolby digital processing. The new motherboard I am using will have dig coax out but no soundstorm. Can someone look this up and tell me if it will be better to use a soundcard such as the creative labs Soundblaster audigy 2 and use a mini plug to RCA adapter to get myself a dig coax out?

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=274-897

I know this might be a bit on the comp tech side....but people at those comp tech sites are all immature for the most part.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
If your reciever is capable of decoding Dolby Digital, you should be fine without the NVIDIA Soundstorm. I don't think there will be much of a difference if you use the Audigy or the digital out on the motherboard. What PC material are you going to be listening to through the reciever?

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
the thing I wonder is that the sound would be 16 bit and the soundcard would be 24 bit. I heard this makes a big difference. I would be listening to MP3's in high quality and possibly wav's.

I think it's important to find out if the coax digital out passes the signal raw to the receiver. Just so you know there are optical digital outputs too. Usually even the low end onboard soundcards will have some sort of SP/DIF connection for that job.

Keeping in mind I never did this before, it seems to be the right way to go.

Ryan Leemhuis

Second Unit
Well, the sound Blaster Audigy 2 LX's don't have a optical or digital out unless you get the upgraded edition which comes with a front panel that has one. It DOES have a digital out that is a miniplug out. and I would have to put a miniplug to RCA adapter to get this to work. What do you think?

Plus I just wanted to know if you think I would notice the difference in sound quality between the motherboard or the sound card

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks