What's new

SOUND BAR (1 Viewer)

MikeyD1974

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Hi, I'm trying to get a new Sony HT-CT80 sound bar to give out some sound. Here's what we're working with:

TV - Sharp LC-46D43U (did that from memory and think it is right)
AVR - Sony STR-? (no blue tooth)
Panisonic DVD/Blu-Ray player
Roku3
Sony sound bar

We will shortly be getting TV over an HD antenna (plan to do that this weekend) as we are cutting the cable.

I have the TV, AVR, Roku, and DVD player all working, but can't seem to get sound from the sound bar.

The sound bar has 2 jacks, an optical and what I assume is an RCA. I want to use the optical if possible.

The current setup is that Roku and the DVD player are connected to the AVR via HDMI. There are some RCA "video" cables that go from the RV to the AVR.

I have tried the Optical cable at both the TV (only one connection) and the AVR (two connections) and none of them are producing sound through the bar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm kind of old, okay I'm almost 74, but technically way ahead of most of my friends my age.

Thanks,

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Model numbers for the receiver, Bluray, and soundbar would help; but I'll make some assumptions.

Most sound bars are not meant to be used with a receiver. (Passive sound bars are meant to be used that way, but they're usually over $600 and most people don't buy them, and if yours was a passive soundbar it would have more connections.) So your best bet (for the best sound) is to ditch the sound bar and get some speakers. We can help with that set-up. And which speakers to buy for that matter.

But to set up what you have now - take the receiver out of the equation and just use the sound bar (you'll only be getting stereo sound with a sound bar, not 5.1 surround). Connect the Bluray and Roku to the TV. Get an optical cable and connect that from the TV-out to the soundbar-in. If the TV sends its inputs out the optical, you're good to go. The problem is that some TVs are not made to send the signal from its inputs out through the optical; then you're kind of stuck. You'll know this is the problem if the TV sound from the antenna) provides sound, but the Bluray and Roku do not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks