What's new

Sorry, but what does IBTL mean? (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Infinitely Benign Thread Lurker
Increasingly Befuddled Thread Listener
I Bake Turtles and Lobsters
Intimate Bikini Top Loosener
In Before The Loonies
Illegitimate Barn Tossing Loser

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Harmless acronym for "In Before the Lock". Used when one anticipates the closure of an inappropriate thread. Usually a thread that is in direct violation of HTF forum posting guidelines.
Pointless ? , yes. Evil ? , hardly.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I would think it would be more productive to use the "Report a Post" feature on inappropriate threads than just posting "IBTL", which accomplishes nothing other than piling more litter on top of litter, IMHO.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I would think it would be more productive to use the "Report a Post" feature on inappropriate threads than just posting "IBTL", which accomplishes nothing other than piling more litter on top of litter, IMHO.
Bravo! I don't know a moderator who would disagree.

M.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
It's an annoying and pointless....
What is annoying and pointless is starting threads about topics that we all know are against forum rules.

I suspect people post "in before the lock" (as I have on occasion) as a way to vent their frustration.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The forum rules state that you shouldn't reply to people who post inappropriate material, so why would replying with IBTL be any less appropriate?

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
The forum rules state that you shouldn't reply to people who post inappropriate material, so why would replying with IBTL be any less appropriate?
Maybe they're playing "Pretend Moderator". :D

For the record... I don't think I've ever posted IBTL.
Not counting this thread. ;)

John Stone

Supporting Actor

No argument here, but "IBTL" posts and pointless threads that violate the rules are not mutually exclusive. More importantly, several moderators have made it clear where they stand on the subject as well. Ignore or report seems to be the best philosophy when faced with such posts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks