Sopranos Season 6: Part 1: Blu-ray=PCM 5.1 uncompressed, HD-DVD=DD+

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Dave_P., Dec 21, 2006.

1. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

The just released Sopranos Season 6: Part 1 Blu-Ray has a PCM 5.1 uncompressed track (the first for Warner), while the HD-DVD only has a DD+ track. Maybe this is why Warner wasn't including the DD+ tracks on Blu-Ray. They're going toward uncompressed PCM!

2. dkny75

dkny75 Stunt Coordinator

Isn't this a HBO release? Does anyone have this and if you do how does the uncompressed sound?

3. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

That's interesting info, Dave. Good to see some lossless, or rather uncompressed, audio on a Warner BR title, though it's a bit of a waste to not use a lossless codec. And even odder they didn't use Dolby TrueHD on the HD-DVD version of Sopranos. Guess it saves the cost of an encode though. You may be on to something.

Though the reason they're not putting DD+ titles on Blu-Ray is the DD tracks on Blu-Ray are the same as the DD+ (thus far, anyway) tracks on HD-DVD. Blu-Ray doesn't designate it at DD+ until there's more info than what's been put out on DD+ so far.

Dolby True HD tracks (perhaps what you meant) are another matter, and one I don't quite understand myself. Something to do with the Dolby True HD standard being different on Blu-Ray as well? I think all the lossless compression titles on BR have been DTS-MA so far. I could be wrong on that, but I know all Fox's are.

I suppose if Dolby TrueHD compatibility is an issue, this could be a nice sign that Warner will offer uncompressed PCM on future Blu-Ray titles rather than do 2 Dolby TrueHD encodes or start using DTS. Just port the master over. Blu-Ray has the space as long as the proper video codec is used and/or a BD-50. Of course, it could be a cost-cutting (though bitspace-consuming) maneuver for both formats too. At least with TV episodes it's no big deal to just use more discs. Breaks every hour anyway. Not like splitting a film.

Supposedly they want to catch up on their BR releases. Would be great if they're going to offer HD audio on them as well!

4. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

Warner owns HBO.

5. ppltd

ppltd Producer

You are correct. This is a HBO release, not a Warner release. Buta at 119.00, I think I will pass.

6. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Wow, $120 and you don't even get a full season? Netflix to the rescue!

7. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

Anybody can playback PCM on Blu-Ray. TrueHD and dts-HD aren't very compatible with some of the existing players, such as the Samsung. You could easily wind up with nothing more than a nice high-bitrate standard DD or dts track.