What's new

Sopranos Season 6: Part 1: Blu-ray=PCM 5.1 uncompressed, HD-DVD=DD+ (1 Viewer)

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
The just released Sopranos Season 6: Part 1 Blu-Ray has a PCM 5.1 uncompressed track (the first for Warner), while the HD-DVD only has a DD+ track. Maybe this is why Warner wasn't including the DD+ tracks on Blu-Ray. They're going toward uncompressed PCM!

dkny75

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Danny
Isn't this a HBO release? Does anyone have this and if you do how does the uncompressed sound?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
That's interesting info, Dave. Good to see some lossless, or rather uncompressed, audio on a Warner BR title, though it's a bit of a waste to not use a lossless codec. And even odder they didn't use Dolby TrueHD on the HD-DVD version of Sopranos. Guess it saves the cost of an encode though. You may be on to something.

Though the reason they're not putting DD+ titles on Blu-Ray is the DD tracks on Blu-Ray are the same as the DD+ (thus far, anyway) tracks on HD-DVD. Blu-Ray doesn't designate it at DD+ until there's more info than what's been put out on DD+ so far.

Dolby True HD tracks (perhaps what you meant) are another matter, and one I don't quite understand myself. Something to do with the Dolby True HD standard being different on Blu-Ray as well? I think all the lossless compression titles on BR have been DTS-MA so far. I could be wrong on that, but I know all Fox's are.

I suppose if Dolby TrueHD compatibility is an issue, this could be a nice sign that Warner will offer uncompressed PCM on future Blu-Ray titles rather than do 2 Dolby TrueHD encodes or start using DTS. Just port the master over. Blu-Ray has the space as long as the proper video codec is used and/or a BD-50. Of course, it could be a cost-cutting (though bitspace-consuming) maneuver for both formats too. At least with TV episodes it's no big deal to just use more discs. Breaks every hour anyway. Not like splitting a film.

Supposedly they want to catch up on their BR releases. Would be great if they're going to offer HD audio on them as well!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

You are correct. This is a HBO release, not a Warner release. Buta at 119.00, I think I will pass.

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
Anybody can playback PCM on Blu-Ray. TrueHD and dts-HD aren't very compatible with some of the existing players, such as the Samsung. You could easily wind up with nothing more than a nice high-bitrate standard DD or dts track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks