What's new

Sopranos Season 5 released 6/7/05. (1 Viewer)

Ryan Belfast

Stunt Coordinator
The Sopranos: The Complete Fifth Season is officially set for release on 6/7 (SRP $99.98 ). Extras will include 4 audio commentaries (with directors Steve Buscemi, Peter Bogdanovich, Mike Figgis and Rodrigo Garcia) and more.
Great News!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That's a pretty steep SRP for 13 episodes. I know it's what HBO has been getting all along (around $80 from most places), but the marketplace has changed. Shows like NYPD Blue or the West Wing sell 22 episodes for $30-$40.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I bought season 4 used for $29.95 which is about what you should be expected to pay for 13 episodes of a show. As much as I liked season 5(the best season since #2), there's no way I'll pay $70-80 for it new. I'll just wait and hope I can pick it up used somewhere down the line. HBO, your pricing on these sets is ridiculous! :angry:

Shane D

Supporting Actor
yeah, the pricing on that and paramounts enterprise is way over reason. this isn't 4 years ago, or even 5 when tv sets started coming out, people expect the lower priced sets now. you cant keep the original high prices that started years ago. xfiles has even dropped to reasonable prices after being one of the 'big ones' for years. star trek and hbo need to do the same.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Is anyone surprised that The Sopranos is $100 MSRP?

Since HBO hasn't dropped their prices apparently most people don't expect to pay less or don't mind paying more for the quality you get from HBO. If they were having trouble selling their stuff, the prices would drop.

Shane, The X-Files sets are the same MSRP as HBO stuff too.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Well, there's no arguing the quality of HBO's original programming(most of it anyway.....Carnivale sucks IMHO), but $100 MSRP for 13 episodes of a show is an absolute joke. You can get 24 episodes of "24" or 22 episodes of Alias for less than half that price and those sets usually have pretty decent extras to boot unlike The Sopranos. I loved season 5 and I have all 4 previous seasons, but there's no way I'll pay over $50 for this set. I'll just have to wait until I can find it used or on sale somewhere.

James Sarno

Stunt Coordinator
I think its way too much...but how do I hold off getting MY favorite show when it drops on the 7th of June?......

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, this is just way too expensive-I'm actually kind of surprised that they haven't dropped the price at all on these now that the market has changed. Of course, they're also charging about the same for Six Feet Under sets, so it's not like it's all a "legacy" thing...

I suppose I'll have to buy it though, but I don't want to pay more than $80 for it. I suppose it's worth it though, since I haven't seen season 5 yet, and since I already have the first four.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"That's a pretty steep SRP for 13 episodes"

Yea, Im holding out on Sopranos,Deadwood and Carnivale with HD-DVD(or whatever)right around the corner.

Those shows look great in HD - so Im just gonna wait.

BTW, I have seen the Sopranos and Deadwood at Circuit City for $69-75. I was tempted, but theyve been replaying on HBO and I have On Demand so its not like Ive had to go thru withdrawl.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
it is, but this is nothing new. i dont know one person who has ever paid MSRP for any dvd. even at best buy, this set will probably be 79.99 or so. i'll buy it right away, i thought season 5 was pretty good.

CJ

Dax P

Stunt Coordinator
Typically $65 at Sam's/Costco. I will get Sopranos 5 right away.

Waiting on Deadwood... but I'll eventually have it, too. And all the Oz sets. And The Wire.

Got 6FU 1 and 2 in a Best Buy deal when 2 came out- think they were $60 per that way. Will probably get 3 right away- it'd be great if I could get a deal for it and Deadwood 1 together...

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Just remembered that this was coming out next month, and it got me wondering about Season 6. 6 is supposed to be the final season, right? Any idea when it's supposed to air on HBO? Heopfully, a DVD release won't be too far behind.

Now if I could only get my wife to watch seasons 1-5 with me. She loved Oz, but just didn't get into the Sopranos. Haven't seen season 5 myself, but I'd gladly watch the first four seasons again!

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

Heh. Don't we all.

Still, I credit HBO Video for putting out Season 5 this June, with no tie-ins. (Although I wouldn't mind a new soundtrack album.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks