What's new

Sony VPL-VW100 (1 Viewer)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Seems like this might be the next "have to have it" FP.

I figure street prices should come down from the 10K retail asking price after a while. Anyone elee think this is a breakthough product?

I ask because I am looking at this (at long last) to be what I get to finally update my display. I've been using a Toshiba TheaterWide RP (56inches) since 1994. This TV has been with me for a long time, and I feel I should reward my resistance of upgrade-itis with the VPL-VW100.

By the same token, if anyone thinnks I can do better at this 8-9K price point, I would be very interested in hearing your opinion!

THanks!

John S

Senior HTF Member
yeah, I don't even look at those projectors. So no comment, except at that price it should be freaking amazing. I am impressed with the $2k to $3K projectors, I cna only imagine how good something like this is.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I've always had problems with FP pictures...with the exeption of the very high end stuff I couldn't even begin to dream about (the REALLY expensive stuff..25K and the like).

I don't knw a whole lot about the costs for the rest of the setup...screen prices seem difficult to pin down. So I would have to make sure I don't buy this great pj then have no money to get a good screen.

What I don't know is if like with audio you have to get good (mo' money) speakers to go with your Pass Aleph amp to get the best out of the amp...or if you can skip the mega cash on the screen, like you would be able to with the speaker cables between your Pass and your mega-speakers;)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Manny, I am also currently looking at one of these, of course it's going to take some savings, but I also have some things I can sell to start the savings. I want to be ready for HD dvd, and if we're lucky that will be in the spring. I currently have the Sony 11HT projector, which is pretty nice, I've been happy with it. But with more channels going HD and if I am going to purchase movies, I want to see the entire resolution, which must be simply STUNNING! There's a web site, projectorcentral, where you can request quotes from dealers, the lowest I got was 7500.00, which is 2500 off the retail, not too shabby. Of course the quote was only good 30 days, but as these become more widespread, maybe even 7000 or 6500? we'll see. To me, I use home theater all the time, so it's worth it to me, I would rather have a "fair" car and a better projector, lol, it's just me. Manny if you get any more quotes or info, keep in touch.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I have not yet seen this display, but expect to soon. Based on Greg Roger's comments in widescreen review, this seems to be the best digital projector he's seen, even over the $30K qualia, because of what the dynamic iris on the Ruby allows in terms of on/off CR. I would be very excited about this display, and think it would be very unlikely there would be anything in this price range to compete in this arena except for something like a G90.

These should be shipping soon, so we'll see, but for 1080pLCOS with the same chips as the qualia, but nearly 16,000:1 on/off CR, it's really a huge huge deal. The Qualia was like a few thousand:1 if i remember correctly, and triple the price. I am extremely excited about this display based on what's been said so far from those who I've seen and and that I trust, I've not been this excited about a new display except the Brightside LCD which isn't comparable.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Sony's new "RUBY" VPL-VW100, 1080p FP will most likely be our next "reference" display device...though not been able to fully fill a 12 foot wide screen (2:35:1 scope aspect ratio) like we been able with our current FP is going to be hard to take (but a higher gain screen material could very well take care of the lower brightness issue, me thinks).

One important matter to keep in mind is that Sony chose a $10K price point rather than go higher (their Qualia 004, at $30K, was just too costly and out of reach for most mortals...like poor moi :frowning: ), and already seen at least one on-line vendor that has it advertised for under $8K.

$10K is still high, true, but native 1080p rez level in FPs form cannot be gotten for less than that!
I doubt the new 1080p DLP chip-based projectors will be priced in that range, even those of the single chip variety (using a color wheel rather than discrete devices, like the VW100)...let alone three-chippers. Some single chip 720p DLP FPs still go for $15K or even higher. Go figure.

Oh, by the way......for anyone interested in a high-end front projector to grace their HT...my 3-chip Dukane DIL-A 9015 (professionally calibrated by Richard Martin) unit, compatible with 1080i as well as 720p signals, is now up for grabs.
It was bought brand new during a "power buy" event at AVS a few years ago (paid far more than what the new VW100 is going for!).
The unit has been used sparingly and is like in new condition. Any takers? E-mail me!!:D

-THTS

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I am wondering why you would not be able to fill a 12 foot screen with the new projector? With my Sony vp-11ht (700 lumins) I filled a wall that was 16 feet with decent results (yes, on paint, it was not a screen).

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
"I am wondering why you would not be able to fill a 12 foot screen with the new projector? With my Sony vp-11ht (700 lumins) I filled a wall that was 16 feet with decent results (yes, on paint, it was not a screen)."

...because of what Greg Rogers, who did a magnificent test/review of this unit in the Dec. '05 issue of Widescreen Review mag, has to say about this very issue...

-THTS

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
It's interesting, I read similar reviews on the Sony vp-11ht projector before I found one to preview and then purchased. It said anything over a certain projection size would look poor, light too low,ect. I bought the projector anyway after seeing it in a store, and was amazed at what it could do at 16 feet. I think reviews are very helpful and I appreciate them, but I think it also helps to see the projector somewhere and judge with our own two eyes as well what is good or poor for our viewing. I can't wait to see one of these, which I believe may happen soon.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
With my new job starting Monday, this one looks like "the one" once I save up enough or the price comes down, whichever comes first.

I am wondering, however, when true 1080p TV or disc material is going to come out. What resolution is BluRay going to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks