Sony to release a Jack Lemmon Film Collection?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MikeIMH, Mar 19, 2009.

1. MikeIMH

MikeIMH Extra

Accoring to our friends over at Movies Unlimited, Sony will be releasing The Jack Lemmon Film Collection, a boxed compendium of some of his comedic works later this year. The Collection will include:

Phffft! (1954): Jack Lemmon, Judy Holliday, Jack Carson and Kim Novak

Operation Mad Ball (1957): Jack Lemmon, Ernie Kovacs, Mickey Rooney and Kathryn Grant; the script is co-written by Blake Edwards.

The Notorious Landlady (1962): Jack Lemmon, Kim Novak, Fred Astaire, Lionel Jeffries and Estelle Winwood star in this favorite.

Under The Yum-Yum Tree (1963): Jack Lemmon, Carol Lynley, Dean Jones, Edie Adams.

Good Neighbor Sam (1964): Jack Lemmon Romy Schneider, Edward G. Robinson, Robert Q. Lewis, Michael Connors and Louis Nye.

It's nice to see Sony releasing a new Box Set following the success of the Budd Boetticher collection.

2. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen
    I have been waiting for this collection for a long time. Funny that it seems that Sony has just about taken over the Fox position in releasing catalogia titles this year.

3. Charles H

Charles H Screenwriter

I hope that this is true: the first three (directed by Richard Quine) are new to Homevideo and the last two (directed by David Swift) are long overdue on dvd. I would be thrilled if someday they could clear the music rights on YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT and bring it out on a "Jack Lemmon CinmaScoped Musical Collection" with THREE FOR THE SHOW.

4. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Wow, I hope this is released and soon! I have not seen any of these titles.

5. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

I'm doing backflips! I'm so all over this collection. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make this true and not a rumor.

6. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

I agree; this would really be wonderful. One cautionary note: to the best of my knowledge, the last time Movies Unlimited had an 'exclusive', with the 'Lost RKO' titles (admittedly, from a different studio), they turned out to be selling burned discs, rather than pressed discs.

In this case, coming from Sony, hopefully to a wide market (instead of a Movies Unlimited exclusive) I'm keeping my fingers crossed for pressed discs.

7. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan
    To bad they don't include "That's Life!" '86 I think this 'scope film only got a pan & scan release, long deleated.

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Cinematographer

That's Life is the property of Lionsgate, not Sony so there's no way it would be included in this collection.

9. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Cinematographer

Alan

Ah well, an easy mistake as Columbia distrubuted it.

10. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

Movies Unlimited has an exclusive deal with TCM. TCM sells their catalogue and if you order DVD's on TCM it is through Movies Unlimited. Since this is a Sony product it is not an exclusive only to Movies Unlimited. The web site for Movie Unlimited discusses movies from all studios that are to be released under the Movie Buzz section. If the Jack Lemmon Collection is released it will not be burned.

11. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

YES!!!

It would be nice to follow this with a budget set (in the vein of the Capra and Grant boxes) with all those existing Columbia discs like "It Should Happen To You", "My Sister Eileen", "Bell Book and Candle", "Cowboy", "It Happened To Jane" and "The Wackiest Ship In The Army" by tossing all these discs in a fold-out digipak or something... Maybe that's just because I don't own any of them though!

12. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Ensign Pulver?

13. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor

Allen

Jack Lemmon played Ensign Pulver in the film Mister Roberts. Robert Walker Jr played Ensign Pulver in the movie Ensign Pulver. Both films are owned by Warner Brothers.

I do wish WB would release Ensign Pulver which also had Jack Nicholson in it as one of the sailors. But that is for a different thread.

I also would vote for a Jack Lemmon musical collection from Columbia and would double dip on My Sister Eileen to have You Can't Run Away From It and Three For the Show.

14. Richard--W

Richard--W Banned

Thanks for the reminder. My memory ....

I do wish Columbia would issue a corrected Cowboy. TCM aired a widescreen print that's cleaner and sharper than the full-screen DVD.

I recommend Fire Down Below to fans of Jack Lemmon. It doesn't receive enough attention. It's oop now but can still be picked up cheap.

15. Jonathan Peterson

Jonathan Peterson Second Unit

Outstanding news!! I have been wanting Good Neighbor Sam in my collection for a very long time.

16. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm completely with you. I have yet to purchase any of these horribly over-priced ancicent discs from Columbia, and was really hoping that some of these would be combined in this set. Hopefully, at the very least, they will have some sort of promotion at the same time.

17. darkrock17

darkrock17 Supporting Actor

Andrew McClure
    Will there be a new edition of Bell, Book And Candle added to this collection?

18. DavidBC

DavidBC Second Unit

any of the remaining Judy Holliday titles on DVD is good news indeed

19. CineKarine

CineKarine Supporting Actor

Add my voice to those who are thrilled with this upcoming collection!!!

20. Louis_P

Louis_P Stunt Coordinator

Another missing Columbia title from Jack Lemmon is "Luv" along with the other 2 mentioned in this thread Three For The Show and You Can't Run Away From It...
    After this set comes out there won't be many pre 80's Lemmon left to be out on dvd

-Three For The Show (Columbia)
    -You Can't Run Away From It... (Columbia)
    -Luv (Columbia)
    -April Fools (Fox)
    -The War Between Men & Woman (Fox)
    -Alex And The Gypsy (Fox)

early 80's
    -Tribute
    -Buddy Buddy