What's new

Sony to buy out MGM? (1 Viewer)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Here's a news flash:

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/040421/media_mgm_6.html

According to the article, Sony along with two partners is trying to buy out MGM for reasons inter alia to get their hands on the Bond films.

MGM has been releasing more and better DVDs lately, while Sony/Columbia-Tristar has been going in the opposite direction. I wonder what the fallout will be if this goes through.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
Agreed about the DVD releases. However! Maybe this means some great classics will get the restoration they deserve before the negatives becomes unusable.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I hope sony doesn't buy MGM. Warner makes so much better dvd of MGM movies then sony has made dvds of their own movies.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
from today's IMDb news brief:

Add Time Warner To List of Potential Suitors for MGM
A day after reports appeared indicating that Sony was in talks with MGM about buying the legendary film studio, the New York Post reported today (Friday) that Time Warner has had similar talks with MGM and could team with buyout firm Thomas H. Lee Partners in making its own bid. The Post, citing unnamed sources, observed that it was not clear how serious Time Warner's interest is in pursuing MGM.
--
Please let it be TW and not Sony.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'd much rather have Warner than Sony. Warner already releases many MGM titles and treat them with the proper respect. Sony's DVD strategy seems to be to release 5 versions of each film.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Good news about Warner.

That would also bode well for MGM restorations.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd rather see someone like DreamWorks buy MGM.

While Warner would probably do a great job with the library... they already have a huge library to take care of.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
The interesting irony is that should Sony actually buy out MGM, it would mean MGM could, theoretically, "come home again", since Sony Pictures is located on the classic old MGM lot in Culver City, CA.

If it did happen, hopefully the MGM DVD department's people would end up running the show for Columbia/Tri-Star as well, and we might all benefit from that.

But, of course, we'll see how this comes to pass.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy

And they're doing a damn good job, so why not do the same with the entire MGM library?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
If anybody from Time Warner is reading these forums, or this page in particular...

Please buy MGM. You've done a great job with the Turner-owned MGM titles...Just think what you could do now.

Imagine the possibilities:

-A "Terminator" box set
-A DVD release of "Bugs Bunny Superstar"
-Special Editions of "Moonstruck" and "Spaceballs"
-The reunion of MGM and Warner's Castle Rock titles
-The Midnite Movies line could continue unabated if that news about the uncut "Eyes Wide Shut" pans out.

Sony's been a botch in Hollywood ever since the days of Guber-Peters at Columbia and TriStar. Time Warner, you rock already, but if you could buy MGM, you would be the top.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Don't let Sony get MGM!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Nelson Entertainment, who distributed a version of "Blade Runner" on VHS and laserdisc...

Most of their properties are owned by MGM. I assume that "Blade Runner", in one of its' many incarnations, is partially owned by MGM. I could be wrong, though...Maybe it's a StudioCanal thing.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

My point remains: Warner is the better company to buy MGM.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I think it is a Studio Canal thing, though I still say that Warner would be the better choice to buy out MGM. The reunification of the MGM library would be the best thing to happen in video since the reunification of the Warner library.

Rolando

Screenwriter
WOW, just made me realize how much Sony has fallen from grace.

I mean they have have cool stuff, Good movies, great DVDs but lately they don't seem to be anywhere near the favorite.

They were among the first DVD supporters. renowned from some good quality stuff. I CANNOT think of a single DVD of theirs that was widescreen and NOT anamorphic. It was all great.

Then they got money hungry. I mean it's a business. were it not for the prospect of profit no studio would release anything at all. I know that. this is a GOOD thing.

But I think the general consensus is Sony (Colombia/Tri-Star) has gone a little too far. I personally don't mind re-releases with improvements. 2 more Terminator 2 and 4 more Halloween DVDs can be released and I would love it. I buy what I like and not buy if the upgrade is not justified. Simple. people seem to forget no one is forcing them at gun point to buy the re-release. If you have a psychological issue that does not allow you to sleep knowing there is a re-issue you do not own then that is another problem all-together.

However company image counts for a lot and Sony's seems to be taking a bad kick right now. Most people feel they PURPOSELY plan multiple releases sometimes even "crippling" initial edition to "improve" picture in future editions. they seem to withhold extras to put it on a future release to make sure there are as many re-purchases as possible.

now whether this is true or not is irrelevent because the result is the same. people have lost trust and are actually beginning to feel resentment and even contempt towards the studio.

SONY, do something about it.

personally am more upset at the P&S only releases I deem UNACCEPTABLE this far in the game.

Just sharing my 2 cents (more like a long winded dollar and change but...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks