What's new

Sony/TCM Glenn Ford: Undercover Crimes DVD Set for 3/18/13 (1 Viewer)

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Turner Classic Movies and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment proudly present Glenn Ford: Undercover Crimes—an unprecedented collection of five fully restored and re-mastered crime classics never before released on DVD.
One of the most versatile and reliable leading men of the studio era, Ford had a particular talent for crime pictures—playing both sides of the law! In The Lady in Question (1940) Ford is an innocent taken in by the charms of Rita Hayworth (in their first film pairing), but he’s a more a willing participant in his own demise, at the hands of a femme fatale, in Framed (1947). Ford fights the good fight as a Treasury agent chasing mobsters in The Undercover Man (1949) and again tangles with Mafiosi, this time to help a lady in distress (Evelyn Keyes), in Mr. Soft Touch (1949). Finally, he plays an inmate who is give a second chance at life by a sympathetic warden (Broderick Crawford) and a second chance at love by the warden’s daughter (Dorothy Malone) in Convicted (1950).
It’s non-stop action—much of it under the cover of night—in this special collection of Glenn Ford crime classics, directed by such masters of the genre as Charles Vidor (Gilda) and Joseph H. Lewis (Gun Crazy).

Available now for preorder
A good year for Glenn Ford, after the January blu-ray release of Experiment In Terror. The Undercover Man is certainly among the most long-awaited Sony releases (in R1). Could this set pass as Columbia Film Noir Vol 4?

kingofthejungle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Heath
Sold.
Glenn Ford is one of my favorites and I've wanted to see these for a long time.
Well done, TCM.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Tremendous. Sold, too. I like what TCM has been doing with it's vault releases... It'd be awesome if they could work in tandem with the Film Noir Foundation...

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yes, I too will be buying this set. Being a big Rita Hayworth fan, I particularly happy that The Lady In Question has been included.

davidHartzog

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John smith
Really looking forward to this one, some good noirs here. I already have most of his westerns.

Wade Sowers

Second Unit
Real Name
Wade Sowers
Another film by the great Joseph H. Lewis (THE UNDERCOVER MAN) is always welcome, and I will finally be able to see Janis Carter in another noir performance (FRAMED) - she is one of the best femme fatales of all time in NIGHT EDITOR (1946), and apparently just as good in this one.

Never heard of any of those, which means, time for more renting...so much renting this year and 2013...thank god we have a video store that carries MOD titles and just about everything else you can think of..

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
I really hope that TCM's next Universal set (after Western Horizons: Universal Westerns of the 1950s) showcases the 6 unreleased Irene Dunne films that Universal has in its vaults: Back Street, High Wide and Handsome, Invitation to Happiness, When Tomorrow Comes,Unfinished Business, and It Grows on Trees. All of these titles showcase various avenues of Dunne's dauntless talents and feature some of the most popular leading men of Hollywood's Golden Age (John Boles, Randolph Scott, Fred MacMurray, and Charles Boyer). With almost half of Ms. Dunne's work still unreleased (nineteen films out of forty-one to be exact) and two of her films (Love Affair and Life with Father) in shoddy PD formats, a TCM set would serve as a small, but fitting tribute to a remarkable talent, a stylish woman, and a hardworking actress. :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Justin Ray said:
I really hope that TCM's next Universal set (after Western Horizons: Universal Westerns of the 1950s) showcases the 6 unreleased Irene Dunne films that Universal has in its vaults: Back Street, High Wide and Handsome, Invitation to Happiness, When Tomorrow Comes,Unfinished Business, and It Grows on Trees. All of these titles showcase various avenues of Dunne's dauntless talents and feature some of the most popular leading men of Hollywood's Golden Age (John Boles, Randolph Scott, Fred MacMurray, and Charles Boyer). With almost half of Ms. Dunne's work still unreleased (nineteen films out of forty-one to be exact) and two of her films (Love Affair and Life with Father) in shoddy PD formats, a TCM set would serve as a small, but fitting tribute to a remarkable talent, a stylish woman, and a hardworking actress. :)
Irene Dunne is an actress I admire a lot more than I like. She is certainly under represented on disc and I too would like a box-set of her missing films. A major talent like Irene Dunne should not be allowed to slide away into oblivion, totally unknown to younger film enthusiasts.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I agree about Irene Dunne, and even the films we have aren't always in prime shape. The DVD I have of The Awful Truth has pretty shoddy picture quality as I recall.

And then there's the lingering problem with Show Boat (i.e. waiting for an eventual release; the two laserdiscs I have are OK but of course a Blu-ray would bring out much more detail).

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
I've seen FRAMED, CONVICTED and UNDERCOVER MAN. None of them are that great, but they're okay-to-good. I'd probably buy the set if it was $30 or less.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I got 25% off with TCM's 48-hour surprise sale, making it $36. Not bad for 5 films that range from good to very good. The only qualm I have is that Ransom! isn't among them...

Charles H

Screenwriter
Robin9 said:
Irene Dunne is an actress I admire a lot more than I like. She is certainly under represented on disc and I too would like a box-set of her missing films. A major talent like Irene Dunne should not be allowed to slide away into oblivion, totally unknown to younger film enthusiasts.
How about a Paramount SPOOKY STUFF COLLECTION: The unseen THE UNSEEN with Gail Russell and Joel McCrea with a screenplay by Raymond Chandler; Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell in NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES from a Cornell Woolrich story; Ray Milland and Thomas Mitchell in ALIAS NICK BEAL, a Faustian noir; William Holden in THE REMARKABLE ANDREW (Jackson, that is) with Brian Donlevy as the title character. And why not throw in THE UNINVITED as a bonus feature? 3 x Gail Russell, 2 x Ray Milland plus a William Holden and a Joel McCrea!

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Dear Shoeshine Boy,
Thanks for the nudge. I quick grabbed up the Glenn Ford set while the 25% off was still in effect! I've always thought that Ford was a
very under-rated actor ...
Poder

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Charles H said:
How about a Paramount SPOOKY STUFF COLLECTION: The unseen THE UNSEEN with Gail Russell and Joel McCrea with a screenplay by Raymond Chandler; Edward G. Robinson and Gail Russell in NIGHT HAS A THOUSAND EYES from a Cornell Woolrich story; Ray Milland and Thomas Mitchell in ALIAS NICK BEAL, a Faustian noir; William Holden in THE REMARKABLE ANDREW (Jackson, that is) with Brian Donlevy as the title character. And why not throw in THE UNINVITED as a bonus feature? 3 x Gail Russell, 2 x Ray Milland plus a William Holden and a Joel McCrea!
I'd buy that box-set even though I now have the U. K. DVD of The Uninvited. Alias Nick Beal I haven't seen for about 25 years but I remember thinking it was a really good film. I don't think I've ever seen The Unseen. I'd certainly like to.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Thanks for the heads up on this and the sale. the coupn code is still live, I bit on this, the western set and the "Woman in Trouble" one that I never did grab.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks