What's new

Sony - Superbit Mgm Titles (1 Viewer)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN Superbit SE, remaster (current transfer is from 1999-same with EASY RIDER.
Why SONY put out an SE of that a couple years back with the 1999 transfer is beyond me,

FELLINI SATYRICON SUBERBIT? hmmmmm

OH-hey- how about THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES SB SE in DTS!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

It would be nice if Sony had released a lot more than Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle in their Superbit Deluxe line. SB transfer on disc one, supps on disc two--it arguably eliminates the either/or conundrum you reference here, Jim.

But of course those releases beg the question/issue of commentary, which wouldn't be on the SB disc one. I had this 'wild' notion that, on new titles for which there's not already an SE out there with the commentary track, make it a 3-disc SB Deluxe and put the commentary on a CD! Are standalone CD players or multiple DVD player households too rare for this to be marketable? Have an announcer countdown an intro to the commentary on CD, cueing you to press 'play' on your DVD player when the Columbia lady disappears . . .

Complicated perhaps, but not excessively so given the audience for SB releases . . .??

-p

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Zulu would be a good idea for a Superbit, actually. MGM has a license with StudioCanal for the restored version's transfer. However, while the current DVD looks flawless, it only has mono sound.... it had a 6-track mix for the few 70mm prints released in 1964. The Paramount DVD in R2 has a 5.1 track based on this, so it would be neat if Columbia re-issued Zulu with the same excellent transfer, but included the 70mm mix in DTS and DD 5.1.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Zulu is one I've wanted for a while, but have put off because of the soundtrack. I'm not opposed to mono soundtracks, but as you said, if there's an original stereo track out there for the movie then it seems a shame not to have it on the DVD.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I have Ronin R2 2 - DISC SE with DTS! Sounds awesome. Why would you want a Superbit of this title? Bug Sony to release the 2 - DISC SE in R1 instead.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Why release titles as Superbits when they already have anamorphic transfers and DTS sound, like "Ronin"? I´m not sure what Mark_TS meant with "Adventures Of Baron von Munchausen" and "Easy Rider" as they are already Superbits? All "old" movies needs a new transfer not only Superbit treatment. Sometimes I think that the biggest problem concerning specific titles isn´t the lack of a nice edition, it´s not being region-free.

Besides, some of the MGM titles are being released as Japanese Ultimate Editions and personally I think that the A/V on those editions are just as good as Superbits. MGM in Europe has now also started releasing UE with anamorphic transfers and DTS sound, like The Terminator, Raging Bull, Platoon and more to come.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Yes, I do have a region-free DVD-player, but I´m surpised to hear that so many Americans don´t. I´ve been waiting for R1 Superbit releases of "Gandhi" and "On The Waterfront", but since it looks like nothing happens I have now ordered the Japanese Superbits.

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Peter, with some of us, it's less about having a region free player and more about the annoyances of PAL/NTSC conversion and PAL speedup. If it isn't NTSC, I don't buy it.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I went region-free in April and I couldn't be happier. It's always good to know you have another recourse when a Region 1 disc of a film you want is done wrong.

Since I dislike PAL speedup (especially on music-heavy films), I usually look for a Japanese disc first.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
As Matthew sad, the PAL problem is not an excuse. You have at least two huge regions to choose from, R3/HK and R2JAP. The good thing however for you to be able to play R2 discs is that some the Japanese Superbit titles come from other companies than Columbia Tristar (and now also MGM).

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Jim, I have "Rollerball" 75' SE, "A Midnight Clear" anamorphic WS, "ALIEN" quadrilogy with all 4 films in DTS and slightly better PQ, "Close Encounters.." Superbit, "Eyes Wide Shut" uncensored version, "Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind" with better PQ and DTS 6.1..!
These are all NTSC from either Japan or Korea and are not available in R1. Often Japanese versions will have better A/V quality with many having full bit rate DTS tracks! Consider having the PAL resource as a bonus. I have the Lord of the Rings extended versions in PAL and the PQ is SO much better than the R1 versions it's incredible. And they have been pitch corrected...

:)

jim.vaccaro

Second Unit
Peter, like I said I am only against PAL.

Dave, I am insanely jealous. Where did you pick these beauties up?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks