What's new

Sony STR-DN1030 component input assign issue (1 Viewer)

Nimzovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry White
I have 5 devices connected via hdmi. I have a 6th device (a Sony 5 disc dvd player) that I want to connect via component cables. Component input 1 is by default tied to the BD/DVD hdmi input and Component input 2 is tied to the SAT/CATV hdmi input. I cannot figure out how to reassign one of the component inputs so that my 6th device will work. When I pull up the input assign menu for either component input, the only options are to assign it to one of the already used hdmi inputs. I must be missing something, but it looks like neither component input will work if all 5 hdmi inputs are in use.
I have the earlier model Sony STR-DN1010, and on it you can assign the 4 hdmi inputs as well as the 3 component inputs. This new model does not appear to have the same assignment flexibility.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
He had(or still has) the 1010...replaced it with the 1030.
I'm not going to download the owners manual for the 1030 for this issue, cause...
1. Have you tried moving an HDMI to another input selection? Maybe the component must be used where assigned?
2. I wouldn't put anything past Sony.

Nimzovich

Auditioning
Real Name
Henry White
Sony's customer support emailed me that I could assign one of the component inputs to the SA-CD/CD input. However, I did not try it since I had already decided to return the STR-DN1030 for reasons unrelated to the component input issue. The network features, additional power, extra subwoofer input, and additional hdmi input on the STR-DN1030, were not enough to convince me to keep it over the STR-DN1010 that I currently own. I was hoping Sony had improved the GUI, but it was just as slow on switching components as the 1010. The inadequacy of the GUI was especially bad with the network features on the 1030. For example, it would not display the entire song information when using Pandora. The fields had annoying scrolling text. It is a more pleasant experience to use my Sony dvd player to play Pandora, which includes being able to see the album art. I can't understand why Sony would not take the GUI it uses for its dvd players and make something similar for its AV receivers. The 1010 also has a much cleaner front appearance than the 1030. Sony also removed the multi channel decoding blue light indicator. I liked being able to readily tell when multi channel audio signals were being decoded. I have been Sony brand loyal for a long time, but I'm now looking at other receivers to replace my 1010.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks