What's new

Sony STR-DH720 (1 Viewer)

Reggaerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul W.
First off I am new here and I have browsed thru this forum b4 looking for other home theatre answers. So I am Brand spanking to this forum...So please forgive my ignorance if i dont understand all the terms and lingo...just got a new sony str dh 720 to day ...it was basically free cause of point i gain at work for doing my job good ...lol or so they think. Got the reciever and its not rocket science to hook up in and out. Well i connected every thing and i have my uverse going into the reciever via hdmi and feeding my tv via component...i get sound no pic. so i tryied changing inputs on tv ...still sound no pic. figured i would try using componet from uverse box to sony..with the same component going to tv. whalla i get pic. ok i tried different hdmi feeding from uverse to sony still no pic. Get sound no pic. guess what its the same with my sony dvd player,which is also brand new , and what actually all started this search for a new reciever...sony blue ray has hdmi out puts...mu onkyo was working just great...please any idea why i cant get pic off the hmdi in tv mode or dvd mode , just sound. preciate ya :confused::confused:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Hi Paul, welcome to HTF! Congrats on getting the receiver, that's quite an accomplishment. Your receiver probably won't convert from HDMI to component, which is why the uverse box was not showing a picture on your TV until you ran component between the box and receiver and receiver to TV. You should be able to get HDMI to work between your receiver and TV if you use HDMI to connect between the uverse and your receiver, and HDMI between your receiver and TV. Does your TV have HDMI? What make/model is it?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill
Your receiver probably won't convert from HDMI to component,
Just to add to what Steve said. NO receiver will "downconvert" an HDMI input to component video (copy protection issues). If your TV does not have HDMI inputs, then you can't use HDMI at all in the signal chain - you'll need to stick with component video from the UVerse box, DVD player, and Blu-ray player (BTW - you know you can play DVDs on a Blu-ray player, right?) to the receiver, then run component video from the receiver to your TV.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
HDMI -> component "down-conversion" existed at the "beginning" of HDMI before it had killed off DVI. The HD-DVD/BD war had just begun and you had Sony BD trumpeting HDCP while Toshiba HD-DVD thought HDCP was bunk. Sony wins with BD, we all get to live with HDCP..component down-conversion dies.

Reggaerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul W.
Well thanx guyz , I have done a bit of research and have come to grim conclusion and reading your answers ...I need a new tv ...now im on the hunt for a tv ....I have a 60 inch lg plasma downstairs that i am guite pleased with the plasma...Now i need guideance in this whirl wind of lcd , led , plasma , dlp...I had a dlp and I liked ...I have always took a interest in mitsubishi 73 inch dlp. oh by the way i am looking for a 70 plus inch tv. This is for my upstairs tv room. I am not rich by anymeans so value is important to me...I saw the sharp 70 inch led for 2200$ ..I feel that the led craze is over rated for what they are selling for. SO whats best in your actual opinions what worked best for you ....

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have a 73-inch Mitsubishi DLP and love it. The only catch is that they are no longer going to manufacture them, so except for spare parts (which will be available) you may be out of luck unless you act fast. Amazon has them for $1500 or less.

Reggaerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul W.
question is it better than led ...and i heard that they have a new dlp that uses led instead of a bulb

Reggaerider

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul W.
Steve was not trying to down play ur dlp...really wanted to get insight on led and dlp and such...where is the best 2 spend my money.....thanx for ur info

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Really, there are only 3 display technologies - LCD, DLP, and Plasma. "LED" displays are simply LCD displays that use LEDs to light the pixels as opposed to CCFLs. The production of DLP rear-projection sets, as Steve alluded to, has ceased. The only "new" DLP-based displays are front-projectors. Finally, if you are intent on nothing smaller than 70" then I'm pretty sure that rules out plasma. The largest plasmas I have seen come in at 65". So - you are left with LCD or try to snag a soon to be extinct DLP display.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
No offense taken! Yes, there is a DLP that uses LED instead of a bulb. It's more expensive, and I have not seen it (mine has a bulb). I've not done any research in traditional LED/LCD or plasma...others will have to chime in to assist.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks