What's new

Sony STR-DE995 (7.1) Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Richard Driskill

Stunt Coordinator
Not so fast guys...

I own 5 of the Sony DE receivers at the moment; all in good service-

STR DE995 (7.1) 110w [deployed in 'Killer' HTS] (I paid $388)
STR DE1075 (6.1) 100w [deployed in 'Holy Cow' HTS] (I paid $490)
STR DE945 (5.1) 100w [in my Master Bedroom HTS] (I paid $425)
STR DE945 (5.1) 100w [in my son's room HTS] (I paid $425)
STR DE925 (5.1) 100w [in the guest pool room] (I forget $)

Every one of the above receivers was bought at BrandsMart USA.

...and I owned one more that died quite a few years ago; the STR DE2010 (which was pre DD/DTS; but it had a parametric equalizer built in). I think it was the power supply that crapped out.

I'd like to say that I am a big media/HTS nut with 4 full-blown HTS' (three 65 inchers and one 55 incher), 1,100 DVD's, HD DirecTv, OTA HD, 15 DVD players and 15 TV's. 'Killer' has 32 cones which can support 2,060 watts max.

It is my belief that if you buy at/towards the top of Sony's regular line (DE) of A/V receivers you'll do alright. I believe the pricing on these units is a "value". Can you buy better receivers; absolutely; but if I start really picking things apart, I'd have to tear my house down and build a studio using $3,000 receivers.

The ES line is very nice, but IMO the difference in the spec's doesn't justify the big leap in price. Things like after the age of 8, people start to lose the high's in their hearing, people tend to have horrible rooms for setting up proper sound fields, hell... just sticking half a dozen more people in the room will change everything.

They work just fine. If you are getting "fault protection" problems you may have a speaker/speakers that are using under voltage capacitors in the crossovers.

Treat them right (doesn't mean you can't turn up the gain) by letting them 'breathe', keep the dust off (the two biggest killers of electronics are heat and dust) and they should serve you well.

As far as the 'sound', the speakers, their placement and the room dynamics are more than half the ballgame in that endeavor.

I'll probably 'cycle' all the receivers down one place by adding another DE995 and giving away the DE925 soon.

So... I guess when it comes to receivers, and knowing that I will upgrade them periodically (3-6 years), Sony DE 9XX series is just fine in my book; a good value.

I am quite rich, but I look at the overall value in buying a component. These are relatively cheap but are pretty decent receivers.

BTW, I'm retired and use them all EVERY DAY.

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Isn't brand smart a cool store? Every time we go to our house in Miami I have to stop by and see what they have new there.

Richard Driskill

Stunt Coordinator
Yes it is (I use the one at Sawgrass Mills Mall in the city of Sunrise), for price and selection, but watch out... most of the reps aren't exactly technical savants. ;)

Rob Ellliottt

Auditioning
Allow me my two cents...I purchased a DE995 around Christmas '03, and, albeit a short period for even breaking it in, it sounds terrific. Everything Richard said is true. Even adding a few people to your viewing room can change accoustics, as well as dynamics. And there are some of us that, even if we had the money to burn, would still support Sony. Don't get me wrong, I would, too, love to have some $50,000 system...but at the same time, I don't have customers coming into my home, paying me to watch movies. And for what I paid($415 including shipping from montgomerygrant.com(with zero problems)), I am absolutely thrilled with the sound I get. I am looking to upgrade the speakers, but am, at present, satisfied. Along with the general concenus, I will say that the more you spend, the more you are likely to appreciate what you end up with. However, EBAY is LOADED with high-end receivers, amps, and whatnot, and that says something in itself. On a side note, a lot of people complained about the Sony DVP S330 DVD player. I own one, and it works like a super champ...

Considering sony probly sells more de receivers then any other line in the world more should break.I think DEs give alot of features for the buck even if a tad underpowered.As far as high end es?Ill put my new 9000es up against any other receiver at that price point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks