What's new

SONY STR DE985 - UNLOCK problem. Not getting sound. (1 Viewer)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
I saw this thread as well STR DE 575 thread

Is this a common problem? Should I be worried? I'll try unplugging my unit tonight to reset it, otherwise what is going on here?

I watched a DVD Sat night, played CDs yesterday in the morning, turned it off, tried to watch TV last night and only can get sound from the SAT using "2 ch analog". The DVD and CD will show UNLOCK on the reciever in some situations.

I'm so annoyed because this thing is only a month old. :angry:

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Try doing a reset.
If you have spent any length of time calibrating speaker levels, setting the EQ, etc., then write down all those settings. Now do the reset. The manual will tell you how, but for most Sony receivers, you do this: Turn off the receiver. Turn it on, but do not release the power button. Keep it pressed for at least 5 seconds... eventually the receiver will say "reset?" or something to that effect in it's display. Release the power button and press the enter button on the front panel to reset the receiver.
(Check your manual!)

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Ok, this is still going on. With a new twist. It happened yesterday, nothing worked. Tuner, Sat, DVD, CD, nothing. Not even a test tone. So I have a DVD playing and I disconnect the Optical connection for the CD player, and the DVD sound comes thru beautifully.

How can one connection be effecting the whole unit? I'm so confused.

Do I have a bad unit? Do I have crappy cables? I am using the acoustic research cables for optical, s-video, and coaxial. They seem to be fine?

:angry:

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Do I have a bad unit?
Almost certainly. Try to get the retailer to exchange it, or send it in for repair. If sending it in for repair, be as specific as possible about how to re-create the problem and what makes it go away, etc., just as you have discovered (unplugging the CD cable). Pack a sheet of paper into the box, describing this all in detail. The more easily the techs can re-create and isolate the problem, the more easily and more quickly they can fix it.

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Thanks for the response.

Yesterday it worked fine. If it happens again, I'm going to have to take it to a place under Warranty. Already called Sony to get the info.

Jason GT

Second Unit
Just a thought, and I don't know if this would even screw up normal operations per se, but are your DVD and CD players sharing the same input?

For instance, are you using coax on your DVD player and optical for your CD player, and say... plugging them into the same input (ie, using the optical AND digital ins on a particular input channel)? I only ask this because unplugging the CD player seemed to solve your problems.

Bernie Lomax

Agent
I have a coax input for my DVD player, and an optical for my CD player. 2 seperate devices, separate inputs specific to CD and DVD. So I guess the answer to your question is no. It's so weird that when it says unlock and I pull out the optical and plug it back in everything is fine. I wonder if a different cable would solve the problem?

Bernie Lomax

Agent
Topping this old thread with a resolution. Took the unit to the Sony warranty place. They had to re-solder both the analog and digital switching boards. Got it back on Wednesday and it works like a charm.

I'm considering a letter to Sony expressing my dissatisfaction with a brand new unit that needed to be re-soldered , but where is that going to get me really? Nowhere I guess since it only cost me aggravation and not any money.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks