What's new

SONY STR-DE897 with 2 wireless speakers (1 Viewer)

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Hi, I'm a beginner here on the forum and I don't know if I'm posting in the right section. I have a SONY STR-DE897 with 7.1 speakers and there are 2 speakers output not being used (FRONT B). My living room is right besides where I want to put some wireless speakers, 17yards straight away from the receiver, without walls on the way, just a glass door. Is it possible to setup this with my receiver? Or I need to buy a new one? Or perhaps some sort of a wireless adapter(I don't know if this exist)? Thanks.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by bodosko
I have a SONY STR-DE897 with 7.1 speakers and there are 2 speakers output not being used (FRONT B).
The "B" speakers can't be used this way - any wireless system will need to connect to line-level outputs (RCA jacks, known as pre-outs).
According to the manual, you have a second zone available to you, but that will only work with sources connected to analog inputs. As long as you are OK with the source limitations, then you can connect a wireless system to these outputs and should be set.
That being said, 17 meters (even if line of sight and only through glass) may still be a tall order for most wireless systems. They're hard to find because, frankly, they don't work all that well. They are subject to interference from any other wireless devices you may have in the home, and have been known to experience "dropouts" that can take upwards of several seconds or more for the system to "re-establish" a connection.
Any system you choose, don't throw away the receipt right away. If it works, great, but don't get your hopes up too high.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Its 15 meters of patio and in the end there is a balcony with a barbecue grill. So this 2nd zone system is not able to play sources connected through optical audio? That sucks :/ Do you think its better use a wired system? I'm almost giving up of wireless after what you said. I thought it was weird not to find any good wireless HT system, now I know why. I was planning to get a cheaper HT to put in the gym room. Do you think its better to get a new and better than my SONY and put in my living room, than move the SONY to the gym room? Or keep the SONY here and buy a cheap one for the gym? I kinda like my HT, but its sort of old and I don't know what I can get nowadays.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Can you recommend me a good modern AVR and 7.1 speakers? I have a set of SONY SA-VE566H 7.1 speakers. Keep it or better upgrade too and put it at gym with old AVR? I use it just for my set-top box, PS3 and PC via HDMI with DTS, AC3... So I think I don't need one with plenty of sources.

TheGary

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary
I would get a whole new system, well that is depending on your budget. Whats you budget?

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
I dont know the prices nowadays. Can I get a good and better sustem than my currently with $500? Also, i have a 7.1, but i dont know if its worth over a 5.1, since the space behind my sofa is a little limited. Speakers cant be turret type. And if you think its better to buy avr separated from speakers, i can pay max $500 each. Remembering I dont need too many sources on avr.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
7.1 layout is the rear speaker behind the seating area spread out where approximately 60% of the wall I'd the spread. The 4/5(whether doing 5.1 or 7.1) should flank the seating area facing each other. If you don't have room for "traditional" 7.1, you could always utilize height/width. I do height in my main theatre and do width in the living room. Action movies and sports work extremely well with height. Gaming and music work best with width. I had a bunch of people over for the Pats/Rav game and the room is wider than it is deep. The wide made a huge difference on the game experience. All of the "your momma dresses you funny" vocal sparring between players was fully audible. Depending on what, exactly, these Sony speaker you have are(I'm not familiar with them)...you probably have no real reason to change them. Are they "pre-package" speakers?(Meaning was this Sony AVR and those speakers all in the same box) Or were the speakers separate? If these speakers have a decent efficiency (88 or higher) and reasonably achieve 80hz(at least two of them)...keep them. In the "grand scheme" a $500 AVR budget should be combined with $1500 in speakers. Cause if you do it right...you should only need to buy speakers every 15-45 years. How much could/would you spend on speakers if you knew you'd keep them 30 years?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I did find that speaker set mentioned on a NZ forum. Those things are 84db (in)efficient. You've been missing out on a bunch with those things. For $1000... I'd pick up an Onkyo 515(you get multi-crossover in it) and about the only speakers that fit will be BIC DV(Amazon and BB.com), Infinity Primus(Fry, if you have them close) and Polk Monitor/ii/"new"(NewEgg and Amazon). Those three speaker series are pretty much "it" and any one of them is going to be a tremendous improvement. Sub, stick with BIC around $200. V1020/1220/F12. Whichever one you still have budget for.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Here is how my surround and back speakers are setup: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wr4biyv80u3skmo/2013-01-22%2013.51.58.jpg I took a look at Onkyo 515 and like it but found many complains about its many issues, Do they have been fixed? Also, it has many features that I think will never use. I was looking around these speakers and setup 6xBIC DV62si, 1xCenter BIC DV62clrs and 1xSub BIC F12 for $635. Good price? Each speaker is 175w and sub is 475w, but this Onkyo is 80w output, is it right? These speakers are a lot bigger than mine, its quality over mine worth the size upgrade? :D (mine: 6" x 4.3" x 4.5" // BIC: 14.25" x 8.8" x 9.15") Thanks, you've been a great help.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
Understood. I liked it, but I was worried when I saw people complaining. I think I will stick with this setup BIC 62s, BIC F12 or 1020 (size restrictions, yet to measure) and Onkyo 515. What did you mean to try my luck with HK or Sony? Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The HKAVR1700 is "about the same price" but you lose the 7.1. It has been fraught with nightmares. Bricked updates. An owners manual that leaves people scratching their heads. The Sony N1030(Today's Amazon price is $500. It has been as low as $350) is around the same price as well. That is the most returned AVR of the year...by far. You can walk into the Sony Store outlets and find stacks upon stacks of them. Also...keep in mind your 2nd zone...is analog only. It is "analog only" on everything not priced $1000+. So, your 2nd zone "out" on the NR515. If any of those sources are digital...you need to double up with an analog. The 515 is capable of "input stacking". Meaning if one of your sources is Directv(whoever you use) and you wish to have the "radio stations" available in the zones...connect the red/white as well, to the same input. Then when you "turn on the zone", you can still pick "DVR" input...and it just uses the red/white.

bodosko

Grip
Real Name
Eduardo
I got it, thanks. I have tight 17in height for the sub to fit. On amazon specs it shows Dimensions: 21 x 19 x 22 inches (HxWxD) But on bicamerica.com is Dimensions: 17"H x 14 3/4"W x 17 1/4"D Now I'm lost haha

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You have to watch Amazon dimensions. Many times it is "boxed shipping" dimensions. The V1020 is 13 x 15 x 16.5 inches ; 34 pounds 1220 is 21.8 x 21.8 x 19 inches F12 is 22 x 19 x 21 inches

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks