What's new

Sony STR-DA5ES (1 Viewer)

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
Tried an SPL meter and had to use the 70db setting to even get a reading, also the output for the Sub was really HIGH so I had to just turn the sub off when I was doing the checks.

But I've heard that the sub output is sometimes like that so not too concerned.

It still sounds great, but that 840 sounded more open sounding to me, the highs seemed higher, perhaps tweaking like you suggested on the EQ might tune it up a bit? I just hate messing around with the inner settings, they tend to be good for what you're listening to AT the moment but need to be changed for something else, compromises eh?

G2

James Elvick

Supporting Actor
Hi Gary,

I have a couple of thoughts on your recevier. What is the 4/8 ohm switch at on the back of the receiver? It should be set to 8ohm as the 4ohm just limits rail voltage. If that has already been addressed I would think about checking with your dealer for a replacement to see if in fact there is maybe a problem with the volume control?

James

Gary W. Graley

Second Unit
I thought about the 4-8 ohm setting as well and double checked it, set on the 8 ohm setting.

The difference between the two receivers are like night and day, where the 840 seemed very open and albeit more bright sounding, this one makes the speakers seem more confined than before, though they do sound very clean, but not bright which I've been told is what you really want if you were to listen for extended periods of time as the overly bright sounding receivers can wear you down sonically!

The speakers I'm driving are about the most efficent set you could think of running, they are the new Klipsch RF7's with a 102db rating and they truly can perform!

I'll call my store up on Tuesday and ask again about this, he has a 3ES on the floor I may take a drive up and see how the volumne settings compare to my 5ES.

Thanks for the help guys!

G2

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Is there any likelyhood of Sony releasing a prepro based on the STR-DA5ES? To me, this could be a great product if it was in the $800 region.

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Well over here, our equivalent of the STR-DA5ES costs US$1750 and no discounting is going on :frowning: so that is why I'm interested in a prepro version. Plus our version is missing the 3rd room support :frowning:.

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Well over here, our equivalent of the STR-DA5ES costs US$1750 and no discounting is going on so that is why I'm interested in a prepro version. Plus our version is missing the 3rd room support .
Well, even if the pre-pro is available as a separate, you will end up paying higher than what the STR-DA5ES sells for. Why? Because people are expected to pay more for separates. Plus the sales volume is much lower.

Can't you get a US online company to ship you one to where you live? Unless there is some power supply issue, of course.

It's always amazing to me that the US probably has the highest income per capita, yet electronics goods in the US consistently cost less than elsewhere. Double whammy, of sorts.

MichaelGomez

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a big difference between this one and the 555es? I fortunately am able to shop at a Sony discount store (wife worked for Columbia House, owned by Sony). I got my 555 for $500 when it retailed for $1000. So, I can get the da5es for 50% of whatever sony says the retail is.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
PS/ There are select partnership dealerships that offer an exchange program with Sony on repairs. JR, 6th ave, and Oades on the ES line are in that group.
Earl,

What do you mean by this?

If my ES breaks during the 5 years I send it back and they give me a new (or refurbed?) unit. If I bought a V555es and it went to pot and then I send it in to JR and they don't have the old model, what then, will they ship me the new top of the line DA5es?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
How does the STR-DA5E compare to the 333,444 and 555 Sony ES models?

What is the sound quality of the STR-DA5E compared to NAD and Marantz receivers?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Well, even if the pre-pro is available as a separate, you will end up paying higher than what the STR-DA5ES sells for. Why? Because people are expected to pay more for separates. Plus the sales volume is much lower.
Can't you get a US online company to ship you one to where you live? Unless there is some power supply issue, of course.
I would be hoping the differential would be in the same order as that for the Rotel RSX-1065 vs RSP-1066 (about 60%). Shipping across the Pacific, no warranty and voltage/frequency differences :frowning: deter me from buying for the US (much as it tempts me).

Tom-K

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me if the internal amplifiers are assignable? Can I use the internal amps for zone II and zone III, and use external amps for channels 1-7? I know this is doable on the HK8000, but there is a $1,000 street price difference. Thanks.

chung

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone tell me if the internal amplifiers are assignable?
Don't think so. I can find no mention of this in the manual, and there are separate Room 3 speaker outputs on the back.

The HK-AVR520 has assignable amps. I think that, plus a good stereo power amp, is an excellent 7.1 channel set-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks