What's new

Sony speaker system (1 Viewer)

shaolinfox30

Auditioning
Real Name
DANTE VOLPE
I am in a position to buy a Sony SA-VA55 system for SUPER cheap, but can't find any useful info regarding sound quality/ reviews or opinions at all. Anyone have input on this?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Here's an online manual for the system.

Well, it's pretty old (ancient, almost!). Basically, it's a four speaker system that has built-in Dolby ProLogic decoding and uses IR for semi-wireless surround speakers (the surrounds are wired to each other, and one of them is plugged into a wall outlet for power).

I guess the bottom line is if it's really cheap and your only alternative is to use the TV speakers, this will likely be an improvement, but overall what are you goals with this system? What sources are you using - cable, dvd, game system, blu-ray?

The downsides to this system include:

1) No modern decoding capabilities - no true digital 5.1.

2) Limited expandability - there may be a couple of stereo inputs, but not enough for many sources.

3) No dedicated center channel speaker - the manual mentions having the ability to add a small center channel speaker, but I didn't read closely enough to know what that's all about.

Realistically, if you have any desire to expand and grow your system later on down the road, this is a dead end product. You'll wind up tossing the whole thing if you want anything "more".

Tell us what you're hoping to accomplish and maybe we can determine for sure if it's worth your time or not.

shaolinfox30

Auditioning
Real Name
DANTE VOLPE
From your info this sounds useless to me. Seller is asking only $30, but what I have for a system is much better.

My system is kind of pieced together, this is what I'm working with:

Onkyo 5.1 receiver

polks / yamaha's up front

rear surrounds JVC

center channel BA

subs: velodyne/sony/BA/kenwood

inputs: xbox 360 - PC - comcast high def. box

Brand new Optoma 720p DLP proj.

Samsung 32" crt tv

Can't remember model #'s (@ work right now)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Although what you currently have for speakers/sub woofers looks like a mess to me !

But what you already have is still much better than that $30 Sony system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks