What's new

Sony says "NO" to WITCHFINDER GENERAL DVD, Midnite Movies in serious trouble! (1 Viewer)

Mario Gauci

Senior HTF Member
Quote (originally posted by Paul Arnette):

"Mario,

Have you had any problems receiving the 'coffin-shaped sets' with loose and/or damaged disc? I have heard some horror stories regarding the packaging of these, which has kept me from purchasing them. Just curious what your experience has been. Thanks."

My experience is similar to John's: the Amicus set arrived with 3(!) loose discs (and one of them almost ended up on the floor as I was opening the lid:frowning:)...but, luckily, they all played without a hitch. When it came to the later Warren and Walker sets, the spindles were fixed and thus the discs reached me intact.

Paul, I don't know which of the 4 collections you're interested in picking up but I'd certainly recommend the Amicus and the Pete Walker ones. The former was supposed to be a Limited Edition (which is why I pounced on it almost on release date) but I waited for the price of the other two to go down before purchasing them:). As I said earlier, even if most of the Tigon films in that set are not very enticing, it was a no-brainer purchase for me at just £14.99 shipped:)!!

Quote (originally posted by John Hodson):

"If it's any help, I got the first wave of the Amicus box before they 'fixed' the spindles, and all the discs arrived loose (but a light polishing later they all play perfectly). I only got my Tigon box recently - with the 'fixed' spindles - and two of the discs were rattling around in the box, but again they play perfectly."

Now that I know that even a man of great taste such as yourself has picked up the Tigon set, my mind is totally at ease:)!

Incidentally, I've also picked up a couple more Tigon titles on R2 DVD in the process, namely CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR (1968) and THE CREEPING FLESH (1972) - both from DD Video. However, out of the 8 Tigons, I'm only familiar with WITCHFINDER GENERAL (1968) and BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW (1970).

FrancisP

Screenwriter

They ain't. Like the scarecrow said "If I only had a brain." MGM already paid for most of the work of releasing a film. The remastering and potential supplements. Putting the film on a dvd is the cheapest part of the process so the release would almost be guaranteed to turn a profit. Maybe that's why Sony, once the crown jewel of home video equipment, is an also-ran now. Maybe its time for another shake-up at Sony since Sir Howard Stringer ain't so smart after all. Cheer up. Soon you'll have the nth chance to buy James Bond again.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
I guess this means we'll never see a decent anamorphic DVD of Don Coscarelli's classic "Phantasm" in R1. Thank goodness for Anchor Bay UK!

-Lyle J.P.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In 2000, I visited Sony's DVD centre in LA. I can honestly tell you, that these guys struck me as a 100% enthusiastic about their jobs, a 100% professional and a 100% dedicated.
Since then, I held Sony TriStar pretty high, even when some "odd" things happened (including the dismantling, well, sort of, of that unit). I was terribly shocked by the rootkit disaster, and more specific, the reaction to it all by the Sony administration. Granted, it's basically another part of the Sony conglomerate, but the total handling is a Sony responsibility.

Their treatment of the MGM legacy doesn't make me happy and I was already sad about the Superbit program.

The overall picture (pun not intended) seems to be: not interested in the consumer's interest (pun intended).

If Blue-Ray would win - what will they do with the relative monopoly?

Cees

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
This is addressed to the powers-that-be-in-charge-of-greenlighting-older-catalogue-titles-for-DVD-release:

Please, please, PLEASE release the uncut WITCHFINDER GENERAL (aka CONQUEROR WORM) on DVD. The restoration is apparently already done. All you have to do is release it and watch the money roll in. This film has a huge cult following and is even critically acclaimed worldwide. It has an immensely recognizable star in Vincent Price, and is considered one of his very best films. The fans have been waiting way too long for this one. A two-disc set with extras would be nice, but at this point I'd be happy even with just the film and the original trailer. Why let all the money MGM spent on restoration go to waste? Don't you want to recoup the cost and make some profit besides?

We've also been waiting far too long for the rest of the classic sci-fi/horror/drive-in titles you now own. How about a few sets of Hammer films, like your competitors Universal so wisely put out? I believe these are the Hammer films in the Columbia catalog which you currently control:

The Men Of Sherwood Forest
The Revenge Of Frankenstein
The Stranglers Of Bombay
Sword Of Sherwood Forrest
The Full Treatment [A.K.A. Stop Me Before I Kill]
Taste Of Fear [A.K.A.: Scream Of Fear]
The Terror Of The Tongs
The Pirates Of Blood River
Cash On Demand
The Damned [A.K.A. These Are The Damned]
Maniac
The Old Dark House
The Gorgon
The Curse Of The Mummy's Tomb
Devil Ship Pirates
Fanatic [A.K.A. Die! Die! My Darling]
The Creatures The World Forgot

I realize you've already put out a couple of these on DVD, but we're dying for the rest of them too, especially a few titles which have never been available on any format anywhere, such as THE STRANGLERS OF BOMBAY, THE TERROR OF THE TONGS, and CASH ON DEMAND, the middle title starring Christopher Lee, and the latter containing one of international star Peter Cushing's finest performances. CASH ON DEMAND, in fact, is one of the best two-character dramas ever made, and if you want to watch it for yourself and see what a treasure you're effectively withholding from the film-loving public, let me know and I'll send you my copy of a copy taped from British television, in case you don't have a master of it handy. I ain't kiddin'. I'd love to throw this copy out the window and happily plunk down $14.95 to upgrade it, believe me. I'd even plunk down $20. It's a truly incredible film.

Please please PLEASE heed the fans' wishes, and they will reward you with their hard-earned cash. Don't heed them, and they'll be forced to get these titles any way they can, and not a penny will go to you. Now, I know you'd rather have the cash than let it go elsewhere, wouldn't you? Of course you would.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
Dear Sony,

You have proven in the past that you are capable of doing great things for diehard movie fans. Now, please not only release all the Hammer films from Jeffrey's list, but also continue the tradition of MGM's Midnite Movies series by releasing the following titles on DVD:

THE AMAZING TRANSPARENT MAN
ANGEL, ANGEL, DOWN WE GO (aka CULT OF THE DAMNED)
ANGELS FROM HELL
THE BAT PEOPLE
BEAST OF HOLLOW MOUNTAIN
BEAST WITH A MILLION EYES
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (1962)
BEYOND THE TIME BARRIER
THE BLACK SLEEP
BLOOD AND LACE
BLOOD BATH
BLOOD ON SATAN’S CLAW
BLOODY MAMA
BOBBIE JO AND THE OUTLAW
THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN’T DIE
A BULLET FOR PRETTY BOY
BURN, WITCH, BURN!
THE BURNING
CANNIBAL GIRLS
CAULDRON OF BLOOD
CHATTERBOX
THE CONQUEROR WORM (WITCHFINDER GENERAL)
CREATURE OF DESTRUCTION
THE CRIMSON CULT (aka CURSE OF THE CRIMSON ALTAR)
CRUCIBLE OF HORROR (aka THE CORPSE)
CURSE OF THE FACELESS MAN
CURSE OF THE SWAMP CREATURE
DAGMAR'S HOT PANTS
DAUGHTERS OF SATAN
THE DEVIL WITHIN HER (aka I DON’T WANT TO BE BORN)
THE DEVIL’S ANGELS
DIARY OF A MADMAN
THE DIRT GANG
DIRTY O’NEIL
DR. BLOOD’S COFFIN
DR. GOLDFOOT AND THE GIRL BOMBS
THE EVICTORS
THE FLIGHT THAT DISAPPEARED
FOOD OF THE GODS
FUTUREWORLD
GOG
GORATH
THE GLORY STOMPERS
GRAVE OF THE VAMPIRE
HANDS OF THE RIPPER
THE HARD RIDE
THE HAUNTED HOUSE OF HORROR (aka HORROR HOUSE)
HOLOCAUST 2000 (aka THE CHOSEN)
HOUSE OF 1,000 DOLLS
HOUSE OF THE LONG SHADOWS
THE HOUSE THAT SCREAMED
THE HUMAN VAPOR
THE INCREDIBLE MELTING MAN
INVASION (1966)
IT’S A BIKINI WORLD
IT’S ALIVE (1968)
JENNIFER
KILLERS THREE
LADYBUG LADYBUG
THE LAST WAR
LITTLE CIGARS
MAGNETIC MONSTER
THE MANSTER
MARYJANE
MASTER OF THE WORLD
MESSAGE FROM SPACE
THE MILLION EYES OF SUMURU
THE NEANDERTHAL MAN
NOTHING BUT THE NIGHT
OCTAMAN
OLD DRACULA (aka VAMPIRA)
THE PEACE KILLERS
THE PHANTOM PLANET
PHAROAH’S CURSE
THE QUATERMASS XPERIMENT (aka THE CREEPING UNKNOWN)
QUEEN OF BLOOD (aka PLANET OF BLOOD)
THE RAPE SQUAD (aka ACT OF VENGEANCE)
RED PLANET MARS
THE RETURN OF DRACULA
RIOT ON SUNSTET STRIP
THE SAVAGE SEVEN
SAVAGE SISTERS
SEARGANT DEADHEAD
SCHOOL FOR UNCLAIMED GIRLS
SCORCHY
THE SCREAMING SKULL
SNAKE WOMAN
SPACE PROBE TAURUS (aka SPACE MONSTER)
SUGAR HILL (1974)
SUPERBEAST
THE TIME TRAVELERS
THE TOWN THAT DEADED SUNDOWN
TWINS OF EVIL
UNHOLY ROLLERS
THE VAMPIRE (1957)
VAMPIRE CIRCUS
VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA
VOYAGE INTO SPACE
THE YOUNG RACERS
THE X FROM OUTER SPACE
THE WILD RACERS
YONGARY

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The MGM Midnight Movie line was a blast. I looked forward to every wave, and the double features were an incredible bargain! Even if the previous price point doesn't work in today's economy, PLEASE don't let the line die. There are plenty of us out here who would snap up the obscure genre stuff in a heartbeat.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott

Aaron, sadly those films would be "A" compared to most of the Midnite Movies titles. Some of this stuff was never released on VHS so it's pretty rare but MGM was releasing two titles to a disc and we could buy them at $10 each. These were not only liked by older horror fans but, due to the low price, younger horror fans started to take notice as well. Sony would really be shooting themselves in the foot if they tried to change things.

People have mentioned countless other titles here but another one is the 80's trash classic HOSPITAL MASSACRE, FREEWAY MANIAC and countless others like these. They also own the rest of the Charles Bronson titles. MGM was released Bronson titles every year but we haven't seen any the past two years, which is a real shame.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
George, your list plus mine would be perfection.

Are all the Midnite Movies DVDs still in print, or have some or all of them been discontinued?

walter o

Supporting Actor
Yep, MGM never got around releasing Bronson's WHITE BUFFALO and FROM NOON TILL THREE on DVD, now it looks like never.:frowning:

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit

And yet Sony allowed THE VALACHI PAPERS to escape from the vaults earlier this year. Since that was a Columbia title, the decision can't be credited to the old MGM management. Is there hope for THE STONE KILLER?

MattHR

Screenwriter
Coincidentally, an article on the reorganization plans at Sony was posted today at HomeMediaRetailing.com:

http://www.homemediaretailing.com/ne...rticle_ID=8938

A few interesting passages from the article:
"Risk taking?" Like releasing the films discussed in this thread? At least we now know who is in charge of the MGM catalog at Sony. Ironically, it is David Bishop, who according to the article, was previously head of MGM Home Entertainment before joining Sony. If some of these projects were initiated while he was head of MGM, it would seem he'd be the one to "push them through" for release now.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

This is even more perplexing when you consider their huge electronics arm that is trying to sell everyone expensive new **w i d e s c r e e n** televisions.

Very frustrating.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

Boy do I miss those great waves of five, four, three, even two years ago! It would always feel like your Birthday or Christmas coming early! Sony, please continue the tradition!

JeffMc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
jeffmc
Ya, I don't think "risk taking" is part of Sony's business plan at all.

The only hope these films have is if another studio remakes them or releases similar films. Then Sony may release these films on DVD to piggybank on the other studios' marketing and release of their new versions. Sony has already proven this mentality by releasing a stand-alone "KONGA" disc last year to capitalize on Universal's "KING KONG" and their plans for the upcoming two obscure pirate-themed "Midnite Movies" double featues to jump onto Disney's "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 2" hype in July.

Leave it to Sony - the only studio in existance that makes film fans desperate for terrible modern remakes of their favorite older films - only so that a DVD release of the originals can come about. I pray the Sony executives see the light someday - they are sitting on a great stash of product that they may not fully understand at the moment. Sony - please wake up and realize there is a lot of money to be made on these (maybe obscure to you) flicks from the past. Charge a bit more - no problem - we will be there to buy them!

AlanBrom

Second Unit
David Bishop is a big honcho who is always mentioned in the trade releases re Sony and MGM and I emailed him months ago about the Midnite Movies line (no response yet). If you want to contact him too his address is [email protected].

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
SONY is such a huge corporatiion that I think everything but Major films get left by the wayside.
I have heard that SONY is not doing well financially, so the turmoil, and the drive for profit probably has the place in a really fucked-up mess-one hand doesnt know what the other is doing.
Ah, if only WARNER had gotten the MGM catalog-IMAGINE the riches we would be seeing on the shelves these days...

all we need is another GLITTER-and a 7th reissue of the Dark Crystal (which ive tripple dipped on-Hey SONY-hows about a 2 disc DTS Suberbit Specail edition of THE MOTHMAN PROPHECIES?
And give Mark Pellington the dough to finish the SPFX for an extended version (just kidding) as if...

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Warner has really come a long way to the point where they're my favorite studio; but they still have a ways to go in releasing more "drive-in fare" and "midnite movies".

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Bertelsmann is said to sell their last share of Sony BMG Music Entertainment (a.k.a. BMG "rootkit" Music Entertainment) to Sony Corporation. Sony BMG also exploits the "Sony Wonder" DVD brand.

Perhaps Sony could solve a few problems and generate some cash by selling MGM to, uhm, let's see ... Warner Bros?

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks