(Sony RPTV's) Is it safe to go back in the water?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Sidden, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Mike_Sidden

Mike_Sidden Auditioning

First off, I'm a huge Sony fan and have been for several years. That said, I've been in the market for a Sony RPTV for about two years. I've put off my purchase because I wanted the prices on the newer DVI capable models to come down a little before committing.

My question is about the 57WV700 specifically. I know that they had/have flicker problems, as did several of the other Sony models manufactured at the latter part of last year, so it seems by reading the forums. I just wanted to get your opinions on whether or not you think it would be safe to buy a 53WV700 by say, first of May 03?

I mean, do you think that Sony will have this CRT and resistor issue resolved on the models that will be sold by then? I'm sure there is still a possibility that I could get stuck with a model from last year, but does Sony require the reseller to correct this issue before selling the TV now that it is an obvious issue? I really love the picture on the 57WV700 and I know that there of some owners out there that would swear by their sets.

I'm also pretty open minded. If not the WV700, then what other sets in the $2,800 to $3,300 price range would be considered comparable or better? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ya'll.

2. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Mike,

Sony is aware of the problem and presumably has corrected it in production models. Every set has a manufacturing date on the serial number label on the back of the set.

I doubt if they are requiring stores to have old stock sets fixed before sale as this would involve opening the box and an open box is a big deterrent to a customer accepting the set.

I think your best bet would be to try to get as late a production set as possible. A way to perhaps assure yourself of this would be to buy from a store that is out of stock on them and has to order one?

Another good idea would be to go ahead and get the extended warranty from the retailer. While I generally shun these I think they may be a good idea for any rptv purchase, flicker problem or not--an rptv can be an extremely spendy thing to repair and is so expensive in the first place that it's not a throwaway item. Some of these extended warranties provide for a replacement of your set with a comparable brand new one if repair attempts are unsuccessful.

I paid 350 to CC for 3 additional years over and above the factory 1 year warranty on my set (An early production KP57HW40 that's gone 16 months with no sign of flicker).