What's new

Sony releases v2.40 firmware for PS3 (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Sony has released frimware v2.40 for the Playstation 3.

The new firmware includes:

* For DTS playback on DVD-Video and Blu-ray Disc media, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 for DVD-Video and DTS-ES Matrix for Blu-ray Discs are now supported.

* You can now use the Frame Noise Reduction and Block Noise Reduction settings for video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media.

* You can now play upscaled video content that is saved on the hard disk or storage media. When the video content is played, it is upscaled automatically to match the screen size.

* You can now set the PS3™ system to turn off automatically after updating the system software.

plus many more features....

CptGreedle

Grip
Real Name
David H
Awesome news! That is a great update!
In addition, or gamers, it adds in-game XMB and Trophies, 2 really big updates themselves.

With updates like these, it is like getting a new PS3 every time it upgrades! :D
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

I will check this out tonight. I have some movie files on there I can watch that are in SD now.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Well shit. Mine is already updated and it has worked like a charm so far. BUT, if there are problems so bad that Sony would so quickly pull the update, it would be nice if, you know, they would actually TELL us what the problem is so I don't brick my damn PS3.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Damn it, I've got the new firmware also. I'll lay off the games for a week or so to try and avoid any problems until they get whatever is wrong fixed.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Dale,

After looking around I found there were just a few people who had their PS3's brick while installing. So if you've got it and it's working fine then there shouldn't be any trouble.

Averry

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew
My dad's PS3 was actually one that bricked.

It installed and rebooted, then Says the "SONY COMPUTER ENTERTAINMENT" and the thing just sits there and waves. Restarting wont' do anything.

I actually had an extra HD drive, and installed it and now it boots fine.

Super wierd, but really really really lame. For now on, I'm backing up EVERYTHING before any firmware update, and definately waiting a while to see reactions.

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner
I would like to add v2.40 also fixes the "flagging" problem found on early New Line dts-HD 7.1 discs, finally enabling the full 7.1-channel audio to be heard through PS3. I could hear a very noticable difference in "Hairspray"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks