What's new

Sony pulling the plug on SACD? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member

Paul, I forget where but I remember reading it on the 'net. I don't know whether you remember the new president of Sony Masterworks wanting to reissuing Sony's classical treasures in a similar fashion as RCA's Living Stereo SACDs. Maybe a coincidence? There's also the upcoming introduction of Sony's PlayStation 3, which supports SACD playback.

I will looking for that piece of news tonight and will provide a link once I find it.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed the Cream set listed as SACDs on a Hong Kong e-tailer last night. From all indications, "Live Cream" and "Live Cream, Volume II" come as one set and retails for about US$40.00. I have checked sa-cd.net and I came up with no Cream titles. However, just because it's not listed on sa-cd.net doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Oachalon

Stunt Coordinator
I havent completely read this whole post because its quite long but playstation magazine was where i read ps3 will support sacd. Thats why i dont think sony is going to get rid of sacd anytime soon.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Yes but it is indeed unknown at this time whether Blu-ray is going to support SA-CD--that was more my point despite a less than clear sentence construction. Not a gamer here so the PS3 playing SA-CDs doesn't mean much to me. -p

Rob M.

Stunt Coordinator

Do all DVD players support SACD? Blu-Ray is just a format; SACD support will depend on the hardware manufacturer.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I guess a further point of clarification is in order: I should have said ". . . unknown at this time whether Blu-ray is going to support [DSD]."

I sense you're being facetious/rhetorical but no, not all DVD players support SA-CD/DSD. My point, Rob, is that DSD is Sony's technology and Sony is of course the leading supporter of Blu-ray. If Sony would just incorporate their own DSD technology into the Blu-ray spec, it would become far less likely that our being able to play SA-CDs on Blu-ray players would be contingent on individual hardware manufacturers. It would be part of the spec. It's not unlike the situation for DTS back in the day: had DTS been successful at getting their codec included in the DVD spec as opposed to being designated as an alternate, it would not have been necessary circa 1998-1999 to specifically have to look for a player that passed a DTS bitstream. They all would have.

Sony's not having done this already--despite it long having since been announced that HD DVD will support MLP--is the reason for my "good grief" lament/comment. People interested in both hi rez aud and hi def vid might be looking at having to put no fewer than two but as many as three players in their rig.

-p

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks