What's new

SONY pre-80's catalog and the Harryhausen Poll (1 Viewer)

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I highly doubt Ray Harryhausen films sell that much better thanthe others in the Columbia catalog. Most young people don't even know those films.

This seems to be more a case of a studio releasing what they want. Remeber when MGM relased tons of "B" musicals becuase George Flentenstein loved them.

And who at Warner thought the Michael Douglas film "Falling Down" deserved a digibook, when other classics like "The Music Man" or "Cool Hand Luke" didn't

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by John Hodson

Excellent call; a hugely under-rated western that would look gorgeous in Blu, but it's in MGM's roster isn't it?

You are right. With all the films being mentioned, I got carried away!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
The release of Jason And The Argonauts is what caused me to finally buy a Blu player.

That should tell you something about why Sony is doing what they're doing.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
so then soop spoon, blu-ray player sales should sky-rocket in July! Everyone - I mean Everyone! will be buying a blu-ray player because "Jason" has been released on Blu-ray! Woo-hoo!

I guess the August blu-ray player sales figures will comfirm this!

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
The Rumored Hollywood Box of late 60's/70's Columbia Titles is supposed to be released in November from Criterion, that its if the rumor holds up. There is also rumor they are licensing more Columbia titles to Criterion.

Lawrence of Arabia (50Th), and 1776 (40Th) for 2012 make sense to me. They probably already have plans for the remaining Harryhausen films. I think Mysterious Island will be next. Perhaps the remaining Sinbad films after that. Guns of Navarone will be 50 next year and Taxi Driver 35, I would guess we will see both of those next year.

I think Sony has considered quite a few of the discussed films, probably depends on the elements they have on hand with the classic titles. Restorations may need to happen before they get a Blu ray release.

I'd like to see 5000 Fingers of Dr T and The Swimmer on Blu ray myself. Perhaps they would fall into the Criterion category along with the elusive Housekeeping.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

so then soop spoon, blu-ray player sales should sky-rocket in July! Everyone - I mean Everyone! will be buying a blu-ray player because "Jason" has been released on Blu-ray! Woo-hoo!

I guess the August blu-ray player sales figures will comfirm this!

Your sarcastic and condescending tone is not appreciated.

It is rude, unfunny and totally unproductive.

Forgive me for even replying to your useless, angry little thread.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Originally Posted by GMpasqua

A conversation is supposed to be an exchange of ideas. If all we each do is repeat the same points over and over again while ignoring the contributions of others (except to mock them), I'm not sure what the value of this thread is.

Let's all stick to the topic, respond to ideas raised by others and not to personalities, and check the snarkiness at the door, please. Around here respect for other members isn't just a good idea, is a requirement. I'd like this to be the last time I need to remind anyone of that.

Regards,

Joe

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I have Jason and the Harryhausen Box Set on Blu ray, so count me in for the rest when they are released. They are great fun and Sony has done a fantastic job with them. On the poll I voted for Mysterious Island.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Although I'm personally not a fan of Harryhausen films and won't be buying them, I think it's great that Sony is releasing them. Why? Because it shows that Sony is willing to give films that are not necessarily "A" titles a shot at Blu-Ray.

In an era where Fox has abandoned classic films entirely and Warners has relegated most of their titles to DVD-R status Sony deserves mega kudos for listening to the very loyal fans of these films. If they do well then Sony will expand their offerings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks