What's new

Sony NS9100ES vs. Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi (1 Viewer)

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking to upgrade to an upconverting DVD/CD player that does a great job at both video and audio for use with my new Pioneer Pro1540 HD Plasma TV. I'm considering either a Sony DVPNS9100ES or Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi. Any feedback on either one of these units or, if at all possible, a head to head comparison would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Not sure this will help, but I used to have the Sony 9100ES - never used the Pioneer. The picture quality for the Sony is pretty good, though not in the class of the recent Silicon Optix based players. The Sony has a slightly softer image, but very good color rendition. From a deinterlacing standpoint, the Sony H75 rates better on the benchmark tests. I never used it for audio, but have heard from many sources that it's outstanding.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Dave -

Thanks for the first hand insite to at least one of the models I'm considering. My local dealer isn't carrying either one in lieu of Blue-Ray and HD-DVD.

I'm assuming Silicon Optix is a "chip set" is that correct? If so, who uses it? Where can I find the benchmark tests you refer to so that I can see how each of the current (and possibly future models) I'm condering rates?

Thanks,

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Paul I've been using the Elite 79avi now for about a year and it has played flawlessly, video and audio are very good. Check out AVS forum for more reviews on both players.
Regards

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin -

Thank you for the link. Very comprehensive list and test results/summaries. I think I've decided to purchase neither at this time and will investigate other options.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks