What's new

Sony KV-40XBR800 owners? (1 Viewer)

Darren H

Second Unit
I've read all of the online reviews that I can find, but I would love to hear any first-hand opinions from Sony KV-40XBR800 owners. In particular, I'm curious to hear if anyone has run into the reported discoloration problems on the sides of the screen. I'm looking for a fairly large 4:3 set that can be viewed in a bright room, and the 40XBR seems a strong candidate.

Thanks.

cosmo7

Auditioning
Real Name
Scott
I know this thread is 3 years old now... but I am the proud owner of an 40xbr800. Just bought it last month and am thoroughly in love. My preferred entertainment is old B&W 4:3 movies, so it is ideal. 16:9 squeeze works great too and results in a 37" diagonal. Occasionally I see slight discoloration, but it doesn't bother me for as cheap as I got it.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member

Hi Darren:

I almost bought the Sony KV-40XBR800. But I spoke to my niece and she said, "if you are going to get a big screen TV, get a REALLY big screen TV", so I ended up buying a Toshiba 65H84 CRT RPTV. The picture is great and I would not buy anything smaller. Most people regret not buying the largest TV their budget and room size permit.

Best Regards

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I bought the 700. I didn't know at the time about the HDMI issue (I think we bought it in 2002) and of course now I regret that it doesn't have DVI or HDMI. Plus, it's huge.

But having said all that, the picture on the OTA HD is beautiful, if somewhat dark at times. I've not noticed any discoloration at the edges.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I have the 36XBR800 and after having it calibrated, it has the best picture I have ever seen. It got moved to the bedroom when I purchased the 60XBR2 set. Moving it to the bedroom was a bitch since it weighs 280 lbs. The 40 inch version must be really heavy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks