What's new

Sony KP-65WS510 Ghosting ....Advise? (1 Viewer)

Travis Johnson

Auditioning
Hello All

I'm new to the group and have a question.
I've just purchased a Sony KP65WS510 and am happy with it execpt for a slight ghosting problem. All images on screen have a slight double on the right side.
I'm using Monster video 3 component cables for my Pioneer Elite progressive scan dvd player and still have trouble. (My Mitsubishi Diamond series 55 had no problems).
Best Buy has agreed on a new Sony for me but I just wondered if any one out there has has a similar problem. I'd appreciate any advise in case the replacement has the same problem.

thanks
Travis:)

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Have you performed the flash focus/manual convergence yet? If so, it might be that the guns themselves are out of alignment. Maybe unshielded speakers too close to the TV?

I just bought a KP57WS510 and haven't had the problem you're talking about.

Hope the replacement set works out!

Travis Johnson

Auditioning
Hi Chris

Thanks for the reply. I actually did perform the flash convergence and checked my speakers (moved them away from the tv).
It may be the guns, as you said.
best
Travis

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Travis, I think you'll find it's inherent in the set (although I note Chris is not seeing it). See this thread I started a while back - http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...light=ghosting

It's worth noting, at least in what I am seeing, it is not convergence - it is a true ghost (albeit slight). The ghost is not a drift of the different colors.

Maybe an ISF calibration would help but for now, I can't get rid of it. I have gotten used to it though and don't see it as much now.

Regards,

N

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had the essentially similar KP57HW40 for over 2 years.

When I was doing my shopping for this set I saw the ghosting you describe, but didn't see it on my set until I read a thread over at another HT forum. Then it drove me nuts for a few weeks until I started looking for it on other sets in stores and saw it on almost all of them.

It probably still does it but frankly I don't notice it any more. Having had an Hitachi with a much more annoying set of problems which I subsequently returned for the Sony, and done a lot of reading about different makes here and at other Forums I've decided that there is no such thing as a perfect set, and that this ghosting behavior is the least of many evils.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Ghosting is most likely due to poor cabling, or incorrect impedance matching. This causes reflections within the cable, thus a slight ghost of the image that you see. This may also be because of a faulty part within the set, but almost always it's a cable issue. Try different cables and connection methods to test. If it is only on one source, or input, this points toward this problem. It is possible, though, that connections within the set are poor or faulty, that would cause this ghosting globally. You should attempt to narrow it down to the set, a particular input, cabling, or the source device. Again, it's almost always the cabling/connections.

Ghosting is not a convergence or alignment issue, as there would be no duplicate ghost of the image. An ISF tech might be able to help you locate the problem, but calibration would do nothing to fix it, unless as stated, it's an easy fix like cabling.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Chris, I can't speak for Travis but in my case, per the information in my thread, the issue is present on all inputs and video modes and furthermore, it is present on HDTV from the inbuilt OTA tuner. So, in my case, external cables are not the cause. I take your point regarding internal cabling being a possibility.

The 'size' of the ghost if you will, ie. the amount that the duplicate image is separate from the source image appears to be proportionate to the resolution being played. So, when a DVD is playing at 480p, the ghost image is thicker than on an HDTV image at 1080i. It's hard to explain - hopefully I am making sense. Perhaps Steve and/or Travis can chime in with their experience.

N

Travis Johnson

Auditioning
My thanks to you guys for replying to my post.
My situation appears to be the same as Neil's. The Ghosting appears on all inputs. Both component with 2 different Monster video 3 cables and DirectTV.
As it looks now, the replacement Sony would not have been necessary after all. It arrives tomorrow and I'm prepared to settle down and get used to a little ghosting. The set is wonderful overall.
Thanks again to everyone.
Best,
Travis

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys

Ghosting is inherant on most consumer sets and has nothing to do with cabling (usually) and everything to do with edge enhancements and image processing.

On Sony sets: watch in Pro mode and turn your sharpness down to about 15-20%.

Best wishes,

Gregg

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thanks Gregg. I am currently calibrated in the Movie mode (with edge enhancement off although I appreciate perhaps some SVM is still occuring). I will try your suggestion. Many thanks.

N

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I went into the service menu and turned off SVM in all modes and on all inputs except for Standard mode on the ntsc antenna input--seems to actually help my mediocre analog cable.

The ghosting definitely is proportional depending on the quality of the incoming signal. The better the signal the less ghosting I see. For example I see negligible ghosting from HD and DVD, but it gets worse when fed SD DirecTV.

It's my understanding that current sets allow SVM to be turned off without going into the service menu. If not, keep in mind that it is off in Pro mode, at a low level in Movie, higher in Standard, and really high in Vivid.

Travis Johnson

Auditioning
Hi Guys

Here's an update on the Sony KP-65WS510.
The new set arrived today and has slight ghosting, the same as the other. I was prepared for this after reading your posts.
I did set the tv as Gregg suggested and noticed a marked improvement in overall picture quality. Thanks Gregg!
Being a bit new at home theater, I did not know how to access the service menu.
Again, my thanks to all you fellows. Your repies have been most helpful.
Best wishes,
Travis

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Steve, there are non-service menu controls for disabling SVM (H/M/L/Off I think) on the newer models but I'm not convinced it truly disables SVM altogether. I think that is what Gregg is eluding to, at least in part.

N

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Depending on the Sony model, there are 10-14 parameters that effect edge enhancement. Pro mode disables most of it.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Just got a new Sony KP-57WS520 yesterday. I too am noticing this ghosting. Not severe, but slightly noticable...especially as you get close to the screen. Even when I select the menu (for colors, brightness, etc.) it has a ghost to its right. If I put in Avia, looking at the sharpness patterns, you can see it somewhat.

So, this is normal after all for Sonys? In addition, the convergence mode to tweak blue/red seems useless as it doesn't save. My convergence in general is not the greatest. I need to get hold of the service manual.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I do notice that the higher the contrast level, the less the ghost is seen --- at least using Avia patterns. I am going to boost my contrast up slightly (though it's still low...around 33%).

Also, I find the Pro mode is more dull than Movie. Movie mode is brighter and sharper.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks