Sony KDF50WE655, Good set? Good price?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Leroy, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

I'm in the market for a new set as my Mits 46807 is starting to get a bit wonky on me and the extended service plan providers are jerking me around (I paid for a 5 year plan, but the only recognize it as a 3 year-and thus expired-plan).

I was looking at a few sets by Mitsubishi, Samsung etc..and came across this 50" Sony set at a seemingly to good to be true price of $1999 at Fry's. There were only a few (4) sets left and the price was good through today so I bought it.

It's not scheduled for delivery for another week (gotta dump the Mits) and I wanted to see if any HTF members have nay feedback on this set. I searched and only found a few references to this set on the forum. Looks really nice, fits my budget and my connection needs (DVD,Xbox,Deamcast, Satellite, LD Player).

Any glaring problems with this set? How is the HD reception with the built in tuner? I get all my available OTA HD channels on my Zenith set top box, can expect the sme? Also, I'm considering picking up a Sony extended warranty and they claim that it includes bulb replacement for the life of the warranty, any truth to that?

2. Jonathan Carter

Jonathan Carter Supporting Actor

I got this set almost a month ago and absolutly love it. It has such a good picture for the price it's unbelieveable. I had a Samsung DLP for 2 weeks and was very disapointed with it. I saw the Sony in the store when I went back out and was more than pleased. Pulled the trigger and haven't looked back.

This set has a great picture as far as color levels and image detail, as well as grayscale go. It does have a bit of red push, but this was taken care of with a service menu tweak. Also, make sure you are able to live with the black levels. They aren't as bad as some make it out to be, it's maybe a tad lower than the DLP IMO, but it is noticeable when you look at a CRT or plasma. This set at that price is a great deal.

3. Leroy

Leroy Second Unit

Thanks for the feedback. Normally I do my research before I buy, but when i saw the price and how good the picture looked I jumped on it.

I had been looking at the latest Mitsubishi 52" DLP and a couple of Samsungs when I passed by this set. I was going to try and stick with a Mits since I've had pretty good luck with them. The Samsungs are so nice aesthecially, but the picture on the Sony was noticeably better to my eyes. So far the only real negatives I've come across are from people who expected regular analog broadcasts to look hi-def, simply because they have a hi-def set [​IMG]