What's new

Sony in September; Gumshoe, Anderson Tapes, New Centurions and much more. (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if these are Sony owned or not-but they would seem like they could fit into what seems to be a slightly less schlocky MIdnight Movies style line
The Big Fix (Richard Dreyfuss)
Goldengirl (Susan Anton)

Charles H

Screenwriter
Movies Unlimited has posted THE NEW CENTURIONS, THE ANDERSON TAPES, and THE GARMENT JUNGLE for a 9/23 release.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I never thought I'd see The Anderson Tapes released on DVD. One of the only films I saw at a drive in as a kid. I guess the LD gets retired.

Charles H

Screenwriter
NICKELODEAN (scarcely what-I-would-call a "Martini Movie") was up for pre-order on some of the websites (DVD Empire, Movies Unlimited) but was scuttled and replaced by AFFAIR IN TRINIDAD.

walter o

Supporting Actor
Maybe NICKELODEON was postponed, because Bogdonavich wanted to participate on the DVD? One can only hope.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hope it is just postponed. This is one I really wanted to see. While it was never a favorite with critics and some audience members, it did give a good story of what it was like at the beginning of the film industry and it was one of John Ritter's first films.

I have to agree that it never seemed to fit into the Martini Collection as the others do. One can hope that it will get it's own release or perhaps another collection on Hollywood where "Pepe" can be added.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Amazon has cover art for The Anderson Tapes:

They sure couldn't get much more PD looking.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I hope the horrible covers don’t scare away sales. With a series titled Martini Movies you would hope the covers would be more retro 60’s -70’s with more from the actual one-sheet than a head or two.

But then again I have said it before and I will say it again, I don’t buy the DVD for the covers, just what is in between the covers so all of these titles are own my radar. Thank you Sony for these films.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member

I don't know that the one sheet would sell any better these days, but it doesn't cost any more to print good cover art than it does to print mediocre art, and the covers for this line are pretty mediocre. As long as the transfers are clean I'm not that concerned with the packaging.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The cover art is up for $ too, the Warren Beatty film, over at Amazon. This one is not getting much attention in this thread.

I'm going to preorder $, The Anderson Tapes, and New Centurions. Looking forward to all three and I hope Husbands and Nickelodeon are soon to follow!

The cover art may be so so, I don't mind it really, but yeah it's the films that are important.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Close. Bogdanovich has prepared a Director's Cut (in B&W), so NICKELODEON has been postponed so that both versions can be included.

Mike S.
(delurking briefly)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
"Bogdanovich has prepared a Director's Cut (in B&W), so NICKELODEON has been postponed so that both versions can be included."

Holy cow! That's great news!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Mike; you're more than welcome to delurk - your input here is invaluable.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
Excellent news on Nickelodeon.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
If Sony is going to the trouble and expense to allow a director’s cut of Nickelodeon, than can DVD releases of the complete “Lost Horizon” (1973) and “Pepe” be far behind?

One of the negative remarks of Nickelodeon was that the story was not concise. This could be a minor masterpiece when finished. Doing it in Black & White is genius. Since the film was set in the early days of motion pictures being in Black & White could help set the mood and also there should be less trouble integrating cut material that is over 30 years old.

This is one that I will be looking forward too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks