What's new

Sony HT-DDW5500 or HT-M5 ? (1 Viewer)

soamz

Auditioning
Real Name
Ok first off, let me tell you that, I have no technical knowledge about audio stuff or acoustics. I only go by quality of sound and performance. :)
So, here is the deal. I have an existing Home Theater at home, Sony DAV-DZ340K .
DAV-DZ340K : DVD Home Theatre System : Home Theatre System : Sony India
But Im looking for some High quality and better performance system, who can handle big halls, rooms, etc.
We are looking to use it for Sangeet during the marriages, Office parties, Hotel parties, etc. So, especially, need something big boss, which can output something super huge.
Budget is 50,000 INR.
So, I was looking at Sony Component Systems, though I have no idea, whats the difference between normal Home Theater and Component System. Sorry. :angry:
But since it looks huge, I feel, its what I need.
I took a demo of DDW5500 last week and it was superb. Its 6.2 channel output . But its an older version , so I think, I would miss some features of this new world.
The new HT-M5 is 5.2 channel, but shows a lot of new features. But I dont understand any of those.
Also, I have no idea, whats the difference between 5.2 and 6.2 channel. :eek:
You can see the comparison here,
Product Comparison : Home Theatre Component System : Sony India
So, what would you suggest to go for ?
Which is a better choice ?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The difference between 6.2 and 5.2 is that a 5 speaker system has 3 fronts and two side speakers,and a 6 speaker system adds a rear center. 6 speaker systems have gone out of favor and you now mostly see 7 speaker (2 rears). But 6 speaker systems are not bad.
We're not overly fond of Sony around here, but those systems don't look bad. (Sometime I think Sony distributes better products in Europe and Asia; but maybe I'm just paranoid.) And we're also not fond of all-in-one systems, because they generally involve compromises. Usually one of the compromises is a lesser receiver melded with a CD/BR player; but both of those Sonys have a true receiver, so you're okay there. The other compromise if you are locked into a manufacturers speaker choices. Most often a company that makes good receivers doesn't make good speakers; and one that makes good speakers, doesn't always make good subwoofers. So we prefer to mix and match. (For what it's worth, the rep on Sony is that they make good TVs and BR players, not so much receivers and speakers.)
For your application, since you are targeting the system for music you really don't want smaller surround speakers, which are primarily used for movie sound effects. And since you are looking for a heavy bottom end, you probably should look for a larger sub. A single good sub it generally better than two okay subs. Forget the fact that that Sony has 2 sub outputs, as the sub output from the receiver is line level (the sub provides the amplification), so you can easily split the signal with a $3 dollar splitter cable. So instead of the 25cm sub, I'd recommend a 30 or 38 cm sub.
The problem is I don't know what's available in India, so I can't recommend anything.
By the way, the HT-M5 doesn't provide the same specs, so it's hard to compare them.

soamz

Auditioning
Real Name
Thanks for your clean reply.
Since you guys are known to the terminology, you can know the difference, but it wouldn't affect a newbie like me.
Anyways, check this and let me know your views,
http://www.htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=179

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I personally like that one much more. It only has average power though, and the speaker sensitivity is down at 83. That means it might not get as loud as you'll want it. It would certainly be enough for me in my house (~16' x 22'), but you mentioned hotel parties and office parties. I'd still like to poke around some more. How big a space will you be using this in?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
personally, I'd buy this...
http://www.htstore.in/index.php?route=product/product&path=61_25&product_id=141
Then buy an AVR separately...

Users who are viewing this thread