Sony HS10, Panny AE300, or Sanyo Z1????

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Gordon Groff, Mar 24, 2003.

1. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Hi all!

I am building my HT and have the screen/drywall/painting/wiring/floor done and have designed the PJ mounting area around the PJ that I had decided on - Sony HS10.

I just got a shock. Last night my wife and I visited Larrylll, a very nice gentleman who we hooked up with thru the AVS forum and saw his HT with a Sanyo Z1. It was a jaw-dropping beautiful picture!!! Projected onto a white wall from a coffee table. It was a much better picture than I had imagined we'd end up with. LOR picture was better than at the "real" theater. Also better than some very pricey setups we've seen at A/V stores. All this from a LITTLE $1500 PJ!! Amazing!!!

Anyway, I just checked and my PJ mounting location would work with the Z1 throw length (at full limits of mounting and zoom) and would be fine with a Panasonic AE300.

Soooo, I am reopening my decision process to those two projectors. I have little interest in HDTV (don't have it now and don't plan to pay the price in the foreseeable future) and NO interest in HTPC. 90% of the use will be for DVD with maybe occasional SDTV viewing on it for fun (My screen comes down in front of our family TV). So for my usage, the extra resolution of the Sony probably would not be too beneficial.

At a savings of $1000 and $500 respectively, what opinions do y'all have about going Sanyo Z1 or Panny AE300 instead of the Sony HS10????

Thanks!
    Gordon
    PS- While learning from Forums is great, going to actually SEE something is immensely more valuable!!! Anyone in the Lancaster, PA area who would like to hook up, let me know!!

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

as an owner of a L300u, I'd say if you enjoyed the Z1 and weren't bother by the screendoor then go with the Z1. The only problem with the Z1 is the fan filters are not all that great and dust gets in pretty easily. Other then that they have an awesome warranty and beautiful picture. Personally I got the L300u because I sit practically on top of my 110" image [​IMG]

3. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

4. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Gordon:

There is a really good comparison here between the 300u, HS10 and Z1.

From the stuff that I have read the 300u is the best of the group. And its still under $2,000. So you know the 300u is the commercial name and the AE300 is the consumer name.

Parker

5. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If I am not mistaken, the AE300 is available in Japan. I do not know if this will ever be available in the US except online. There are a few members here that have it.

7. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Thanks, Neil!
    Gordon

8. Parker Clack

Parker
    Gordon:

The AE300 is available only in Japan as far as I know. I am checking to see if the 300U has the same throw ratio as the AE300. I will get back with you on this.

Parker

9. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

10. JonathonSan

JonathonSan Stunt Coordinator

I have had a Z1 for about a month and a half now. I love the picture this PJ throws, big, bright and beautiful. No problems so far that are not inherent to all LCD. I can make no comments as to comparing this and others as I bought it sight unseen. It does have the best warranty 3 year parts/labor and if you buy the Studio Experience clone you get a 500 hour/120 day bulb warranty.

Here is a link to anothers view of all three that has seen them.

Z1 vs 300

11. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

That's pretty amazing, JonathonSan! A great review by Sushi who saw all three of these PJ's side by side on the same screens, getting the same feed. He thought the Z1 was the best choice! Cool! Both it and the Panny beat the Sony. Very interesting!
    Gordon

12. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

If you were that impressed with the Z1, why not go ahead and get it?
    If you're not bothered by the screendoor of this unit, there is no reason to go up in price (except contrast).
    The price is amazing, the warranty is great.
    It does have a few minor issues such as dust blobs and color spotting, but if you've already seen it and love it, stop torturing yourself! You can always sell it...

13. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

14. Douglas_H

Douglas_H Stunt Coordinator

Gordon,
    I have seen all three of these projectors side-by-side at the same time and on different screens.
    They all have their strengths and their own weaknesses.

All 3 are a lot of projector for the money. You cannot go "wrong" with any of them. As you have realized,
    many times the theater room is the deciding factor. Seating distance to the screen, etc.

My overall rating from 3rd to 1st:
    Z1 - really surprising little guy.
    Strengths: Great picture, lowest price.
    Weaknesses: lots of light leakage, most visible screen door of the 3.

PT-L300U(same as AE-300):
    Strengths - Great contrast/shadow detail, at 1.5x screen width screen door not a factor. VERY quiet.
    Weakness: scan lines and to a lesser degree banding.
    Not a strength or weakness - short throw.

HS-10:
    My pick of the 3.
    Strengths: Great color saturation, hi-res, power focuszoom, screen door same as the Panasonic.
    Weakness: Availability. Slightly less shadow detail than the Panny(depends on the source). A bit noisier than the 300

Like all other gear, I think PJs need to be evaluated as a whole. Awesome color is meaningless if you need to mount it above your head and the fan is like wheat combine. Also, these are my impressions only. I have tried to evaluate a projector through someone else's eyes, not an easy thing.
    If you are not too price sensitive and it fits your room, the HS-10 will give you lots of quality time. I also would not dismiss HD so readily. Have you seen HD on an HS-10 or other projector? Going from DVD to HD is a far bigger difference than exists between any of the 3 projectors you are considering.
    I'm willing to bet that HD on an HS-10 will make you a believer. Maybe not.
    HTH

15. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

Thanks for your comments Douglas_H!!! I really needed a pep talk to restore my faith in the HS10. [​IMG]
    I guess I read too many reviews that saw all three together and liked the other two better.

Leaving HDTV out of the picture for a moment, from your comments, the HS10 had acceptable contrast and shadow detail. That is my major concern. The Z1 I saw seemed positively brilliant. The scene in LOR where Bilbo is sitting against a tree in a forest looked like you could walk into the forest. I am somewhat obsessive in that I would have a problem accepting anything less after I was so impressed w/the Z1.

The advantage to the HS10 for HDTV is noted and appreciated. I would love to have that capability, even if I don't have any plans at this time to use it. I HATE my cable company and feel I'm paying too much already, much less spring for their digital and HDTV content (what can you expect from a govt-sponsered monopoly!). I may look into satellite or maybe see what I could pick up OTA sometime.

Thanks for your comments!

16. Parker Clack

Parker
    Gordon:

If you can afford the PLV 70 I would get it. The pictures on Jeff's site are a real selling point. He loves this projector.

Parker

17. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

One reason why I didn't go with the HS10 was the fact that it had so many problems during the time when I was purchasing, especially the lamp bug.

It doesn't really matter what projector you get now, Z1, L300u, HS10, etc....they are all awesome units.

BTW - The AE300 is the Japanese model code, and the L300u is the North American model code.

18. Gordon Groff

Gordon Groff Second Unit

19. Parker Clack

Parker
    Gordon:

Another thought would be to look into the PLV 60HT. It is the previous model to the 70HT and is a very nice unit. You can read more about it here. The great thing about it is that it is about $2,000 less in price too.

Here is a comparison between the PLV 70 and the PLV 60HT so you can see their differences.

Parker

20. Scot Kight

Scot Kight Extra

Easy answer. BIGGER SCREEN!

(Ok maybe thats not terribly helpful, but the l300u does look great on my 119" screen)

I'll measure the distance to the projector tonight, but it should be right around 14' from where it is sitting and it has some more room for adjustment.