What's new

Sony Grand Wega 60 inch Optical Block (1 Viewer)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
I'm having the Optical Block replaced in my 60inch Grand Wega Sony HDTV (1080i) which exhibited a blue screen pattern apparently due to a manufacturing defect since Sony is picking up the tab for this even though I did not have extended warranty coverage. I was told that this is a very expensive part ~ $1,000.00, and that it is the heart of the TV. My question, does changing this part have any effect on the 1080i resolution, does it upgrade it to 1080p? When I bought the set 4 years ago, 1080p sets were not the norm....

Raul

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I'm pretty sure the answer is "no", but I'm also a little confused. The only 60" Grand Wegas I can find are rear-projection LCD panel sets - and all LCD systems - RP or flat panel - are inherently progressive. They don't display interlaced signals. Which means your set is more likely a 720p (technically 768p) rather than 1080i. LCDs take all input signals and scale them to their native resolution. Naturally you set can accept a 1080i signal - so can all digital sets, including 480p EDTVs. But what you're seeing is almost certainly 768p. Either that or its 1080p, because unless you have a CRT rear-projection model that I'm not aware of, there is no way you're watching an interlaced signal.

In any event, I can't see them upgrading all the LCD panels and associated electronics, which is what it would take at a miminum to increase your resolution to 1080p - certainly not with a part that "only" costs a grand.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Joe

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Thanks for your reply!

However, now I'm confused... My set which is of 2004-2005 vintage is the Sony Grand Wega KDF-60XS955, an LCD 60 inch rear projection set. The manual says something to the effect that it displays 1080i images and goes into this description:

"Provides 1080 lines of resolution. Displays images using interlaced scanning, which first transmits all the odd lines on the LCD projection TV screen and then the even lines. 1080i is one of the formats used by HDTV."

The total price I paid for this set was $4,000 about 3-1/2 years ago, so the price of that "optical block" which was replaced yesterday (and it's a HUGE part) amounts for about a fourth of the cost, so I was just wondering if any upgrade was to be expected in terms of resolution.

Raul

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
OK, now I'm learning something. All direct view LCD panels, and most LCD variant RPTVs like LCD-RP and LCoS (the JVC HD-ILA RP and FP systems, and the Sony SXRD RP TVs) work as I described. Your manual makes it clear that at least for some LCD-RP's my blanket statement is wrong.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
You really do have an LCD TV that does an interlaced signal - and I know a little bit more than I did this morning.

But I still don't think you're getting a free 1080p upgrade as part of the repair. :D

Regards,

Joe

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
You have to find out what the native resolution of your set is. Could be 720p. Highly doubt it is 1080p as that wasn't really around back then unless it was LCOS (SXRD) and I think you'd know if it was SXRD. Could be a 540p lcd panel, but it's more likely 720p.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure they are putting in the same kind of optical block as the set had before.

Your manual should specify the resolution of the set for example 1920x1080, 1024x1024, 1280x720, 1368x768, or something similar.

All HDTV sets accept 1080i video signals. Most accept 720p video signals. The signal will be converted to match the resolution of the optical block which is the resolution as presented on the screen (possibly subject to optical degradation). But recorded subject matter with a lesser resolution will not re-acquire picture detail that the original subject being televised had to begin with.

As far as I know, all LCD sets are non-interlaced i.e. progressive. While it is conceivable that data can be fed into LCD displays every other row at a time (simulating interlaced scanning) I don't think any sets today do it that way. Rather a full (progressive) frame is assembled and loaded into the LCD as progressive.

Blu-Ray disks and ATSC broadcasts can carry 1080p@24 or 30 frames per second and a few TV sets accept these formats directly. 1080p@60 fps is currently had only by being reconstituted from other formats within a TV set or one of the other units of your video system.

Video hints: Line Doublers and De-Interlacers

bdreyer

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob
Raul

When did you report it to Sony. They are only offering $325.

Bob Dreyer

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Hello Bob,

Welcome to the forum.

That post is more than a year old! Numbers in it are no longer applicable, I suppose.

Cees

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Hi Bob,
As Cees reported earlier I posted this item about a year and a half ago. I must say that after they replaced the optical block, the set has been working perfectly (oops, hope I don't jinx it now :) ) . Once you get once of these 60 inch sets, you just can't go back to anything smaller. So probably by the time I need to replace it, there'll be reasonably priced (less than 2K) 65-70 inch 1080p LCD sets around (hopefully SONY). Take care.

Raul (Hoping that we get another HT Forum meeting this year!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks