What's new

Sony Going The DVD-R Route? (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by MattH.

Nowhere did I see prices mentioned (or shipping charges). I did see at least five that I would immediately get if prices are reasonable.

Also, are these available only here or do they have some kind of deal with Deep Discount, Amazon, etc?

At the moment, you CAN get them from DEEP DISCOUNT and CRITIC'S CHOICE VIDEO.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I have heard that Movies Unlimited will also carry them. For some reason, the above Columbia Classics website doesn't list a particular title which has been announced elsewhere. Also, they list one of the titles as being in 1:85-1, but it should be 2:35-1. Hopefully, that's just a packaging error.

By the way, I first posted this with specific titles mentioned above, but then remembered that we're not supposed to name the titles here.

Jobla

Supporting Actor
Today, I attempted to order four more Columbia MODs from Critics Choice Video. All four of them came up as "unavailable at this time." I don't know what that actually means, but thought I'd mention it here. I'll probably wait a week and then try my order again. I didn't know that "on demand" titles would be considered out of print, on backorder, or whatever the case may be.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
Nightwing! Don't it make my brown eyes blue! David Warner was working a lot in those days, this one saw high rotation on cable in the early eighties, not sure why it disappeared. Hey, it was better than the Manitou, that got a real DVD release!

Glad they are doing this, hopefully we'll see some more "lost" films coming this way.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Oh, man, not a fan of THE MANITOU?! That creeped me out when I saw it in my youth. Got the Anchor Bay DVD, and I still like it. Never read the novel, so, I don't know how it compares. The "laser show" at the end, I'll admit, is a bit out there.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
Whoa, the title of this thread sounded like a possible discussion into sony and dvd-r. I certainly don't mind seeing people talk up what movies they hope to see from various studios and i'd be the last one to suggest that they don't belong in this thread. I'd just like to alert the HTF police that when i saw the thread title, i actually was thinking it may have been a site where people could discuss, debate (if they choose) and share their thoughts on "soney going the dvd-r route"... As you've cleansed other discussions on that topic off the warner archives topic, I'll expect you to get out the ol' clorox and wipe this one down.

My bad.

Anyone know where free discussions on such topics is encouraged?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
To make it easier for you I can change the title, if you like? And, then you'd be free to start another thread where you can get people to talk about "Sony going the DVD-R route." Let me know and I'll change the title to something like "Sony Set To Release Movies On DVD-R."

This thread is actually in the wrong category to start with, and probably should be merged with "Sony Archive MOD" in the DVD (and Other Std-Def Software): Film and Documentary category.

shoeshineboy

Second Unit
Real Name
dan olson
I have no problem with the title. I certainly don't have an issue where ever you wanted to take this thread -- altho remember, by threat of HTF police, any speculation on titles will result in quick action! - i just noticed that the title could also be interpreted as a chance to discuss the merits of Sony's program. Perhaps its true that those of us who have qualms and questions as to the purpose and rationale behind MOD sudden popularity should be ushered into a quiet, silent holding tank, or at least to a more appropriate thread where those who are just glad to see the release of film stock aren't being inundated by the same, banal arguments.

I'm just thinking that there's room for debate here. But as proven by the police's eradication of comments from the archive site, freedom's just another word for 'agree with me or else!' And don't worry, this too will pass...

Originally Posted by SWFF

To make it easier for you I can change the title, if you like? And, then you'd be free to start another thread where you can get people to talk about "Sony going the DVD-R route." Let me know and I'll change the title to something like "Sony Set To Release Movies On DVD-R."

This thread is actually in the wrong category to start with, and probably should be merged with "Sony Archive MOD" in the DVD (and Other Std-Def Software): Film and Documentary category.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by shoeshineboy
I have no problem with the title. I certainly don't have an issue where ever you wanted to take this thread -- altho remember, by threat of HTF police, any speculation on titles will result in quick action! - i just noticed that the title could also be interpreted as a chance to discuss the merits of Sony's program. Perhaps its true that those of us who have qualms and questions as to the purpose and rationale behind MOD sudden popularity should be ushered into a quiet, silent holding tank, or at least to a more appropriate thread where those who are just glad to see the release of film stock aren't being inundated by the same, banal arguments.

I'm just thinking that there's room for debate here. But as proven by the police's eradication of comments from the archive site, freedom's just another word for 'agree with me or else!' And don't worry, this too will pass...

If you started a thread called "MOD Programs- Good Or Bad?", I would be shocked if the administrators close it. The comments you made were removed because you posted them in a thread that is designed to talk about the movies and not the merits of the programs. That being said, based on your comments here and in the Warner Archive thread, you seem much more interested in trying to show how superior you think you are because you don't buy DVD-Rs than in hearing anyone's differing viewpoints on the subject.

Joseph Burns

Stunt Coordinator
I'm on both sides here. I want the studios to release everything on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. That won't happen. I prefer to get some titles that would otherwise not be released at all on the MOD DVD-Rs. I don't want the studios to put out product on DVD-R when a "real" DVD is possible. I'm pretty clear on this, and dare to think this is a common view.

See, we can discuss the merits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks