What's new

Sony DVPNS300 Stopped woroking... DVD Player. (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
All of a sudden, it just stopped reading all discs. They work in my other DVD Rom player, but the Set top player no longer seems to be functioning.

It makes a sort of 'ktchich, ktchich' type of sound for a minute or so, and suddenly reads 'no disc'. Any ideas? The player is barley two years old, and never had a problem with it before.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Quick question: How often did you use the player on a typical basis? How many hours per day? Also, do you keep it clean and dust-free?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I'd say two times a day at most. Probably no more than an hour each time, depending on wich disc I'm watching, and it was working perfectly as of Saturday.Havn't cleaned it once since I got it, because it dosn't look like it really needs that much of a cleaning and seems dust free except for on the top of the player.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Which means you have let dust accumulate on it. What's on top of the unit eventually seeps inside it. Dust is insiduous. I suspect the player's innards, especially the laser assembly, are dirty and need cleaning.

Never let dust accumulate anywhere on a DVD player.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Just out of stupidity, what's the best way to clean the inside of the player?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Several people here have done it. Not to brag, but my players are kept in such dust-free, pristine condition I've never had to clean them.

I would use a small bottle of compressed air and point it at the player's internal components (that is, after you remove the cover!). And when the player's cover is put back in place, plan on wiping it down every day (or, at least, every other day). That is, the front, the top, the sides, and the rear panel.

Do you rent or buy your own DVDs?

Adil M

Supporting Actor
Jack,
Don't screw around w/ newbies. There is no reason anyone has to be as anal as wiping off the exterior of their player everyday.

In fact that is a very common problem w/ Sony dvd players.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I say, I say I regret being called a newbie sir. I've been online since '93, and have been with the DVD medium since it was released.

I've just never had the need to clean a DVD player, because this is the first time I've ever had a problem with one :D. Unlike the old less than reliable VCR, wich is just cheaper and easier to buy a new one every two years after I wear my current one out, hehehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks