What's new

Sony DVP-NS50P to Marantz SR-18 Connection - NO Sound! (1 Viewer)

AllanP

Agent
I have my Sony DVP-NS50P (Cheap) CD/DVD player connected via "component" cables to my Marantz SR-18 AV Surround Receiver. The audio (L / R) is connected to the "LD" audio input on the Marantz by way of Monster cables. When these components were connected via "S-Video" connections, all worked fine, when I switched to a "component" connection (due to a television upgrade to HDTV), I get a picture and no sound. I was told it did not matter where the "audio" portion of the Sony output went, as long as the component connections were proper. I tried the "TV" audio connection on the back of the Marantz as well, still NO sound. Can anyone advise (if you are familiar with these components and their outputs / inputs) what I am doing wrong? I am using the cheap Sony DVD player because my expensive Pioneer DVL-919 DVD/LD player will NOT play non-factory original DVDs, so, I have to switch to the Sony when watching those types of DVDs. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It might be useful to post a pic of the rear of the Marantz. Been ages since I've seen an SR 18 in person. But, as long as you paired the component to the TV/LD input(provided you can???). Or whatever you paired the component to...the audio should work, regardless.

AllanP

Agent
2e1558f2_MarantzSR-18RearView.jpeg
6f978376_SonyDVP-NS50PDVDPlayerFrontandBackViews.jpeg
Sam: Thanks for your reply, I hope the images I've attached are viewable. As for the connections for the Sony DVD player, the "component" cables are connected to the SR-18 in the top middle where it says "Component Video." The other set of component connections are being used by the Pioneer DVL-919. The "audio out" for the Sony (L / R) is connected on the bottom left to the "LD" jack, where it says "audio." It was also connected to the "TV" jack next to it, still with no sound. I checked the internal connections in the Sony player and set everything to the L / R audio out, etc. I wonder if there are settings in the Marantz that need to be adjusted? This is curious because as stated, when the Sony was connected using the old "S" video connections, everything worked fine. The change from "S" video to component cabling seems to have knocked out the sound portion for some reason. If the Marantz needs internal adjustments, that may be an issue since I cannot get the "main menu" up on the television screen no matter how I have tried. The instructions in the manual are at an "engineer level" and are certainly not written for the casual end user so, having read them many times, I still cannot get to the main menu to check any possible internal adjustments that the SR-18 may need. If any of this helps you are anyone else get my sound back via the Sony, it will be appreciated for sure. Besides solving this problem, the "larger" issue (seems to me) is that despite the fact that my equipment is in "pristene" condition, it would appear that technology has passed me by. For one, the LaserDisc feature is apparently outmoded, so, if I replace the DVL-919, what do I do with my LaserDisc collection? Also, the Marantz SR-18 is 5.1 and now we are at least at 7.1, so, get another receiver and MORE speakers, more cables, etc? To top it off, I have a vast collection of Beta and VHS tapes which were all the rage in the 70s and now, apparently are laughable, still, there is stuff on them that I want so, convert to DVD I guess. I won't even go into my music collection, spanning MANY different formats, not the least of which is lots of vinyl and even cassette tapes. Maybe I should open a museum? Just thought I'd share this because truthfully, I do not know where time went. When I put this all together, it was "state of the art" and a topic of conversation amongst family and friends. Now, most of it is considered "relic" quality. :(

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Why aren't you using the digital out on the DVD player? You need to go into "set-up" and pair your component to the right input you want.

AllanP

Agent
Sam: If I use the coaxial digital out from the Sony, WHERE would I connect it on the SR-18? Not many open spots left at the moment. Also, I cannot get the SR-18 menu on the screen (OSD) - I tried and the manual is just way to confusing - any ideas? The Sony menu is quite simply and right now, is set to use the audio L / R output which, is not working. Thanks again.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
On the far left of the SR18 you have 4 total digital. Two toslink and two coax. If you have an open component, you must have paired that to an input. Connect the digital coax and pair it to the same input.

AllanP

Agent
Not sure exactly what you mean. Also, "Dig 3 In" and "Dig 4 In" are in use as well as the "RF In." Most of the "audio" connections to the right of these connections are also taken except for "TV" - "LD" and maybe 1 or two others further to the right.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks