What's new

Sony DVP-NC655P vs. Panasonic DVD-CP72 (1 Viewer)

ZachW

Stunt Coordinator
Which one is better? I need to hook either one up to 2 receivers, and the Sony has more inputs and outputs. I don't need DVD-A, or the built in DTS decoder like the Panasonic has. Which player has better picture quality, will sound better in music, and has the better build quality? thanks

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Zach, I have not used the two players side-by-side, but the build quality is similar in my opinion. Others may be able to chime in here, but it would not surprise me if the 'CP72 provided a better picture. For one thing, Panasonic players do not show the chroma bug, while most, if not all, Sony players do. This does not mean that you will see the chroma bug on your display(s) with the Sony changer, but it is something to be aware of.

At the end of the day, I would go with the 'CP72. For one thing, I have read nothing here but positive reviews of this player. Secondly, it offers DVD-Audio. Even if you don't want it now, you might appreciate having it later. The Sony 'NC655P does not play SACDs and, of course, does not play DVD-Audio discs. Finally, you should be able to get the 'CP72 for less than the 'NC655P since Panasonic is offering a $30 mail-in rebate. If you go through an authorized, discount mail-order dealer like J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) or OneCall (1-800-340-4770), you should be able to score a 'CP72 for under $200 after the mail-in rebate.

Dan_R_M

Stunt Coordinator
I am in a similar situation, deciding between these two units. I have always been a fan of sony stuff, but with all the panasonic hype I am reading, I am beginning to be swayed. Do each of them have all the same bells and whistles (ie. track text, true random play, etc.)? How obvious is this chroma bug...does it really warrant not buying any unit that has it? Thanks.

-Dan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, my understanding is that the 'CP72 and 'RP82 share the same chipset. This issue has been discussed here quite a bit, so a search should prove helpful.

Jim J

Second Unit
Panasonic claims ability to play VCD, but not svcd. I have the 72, but have not tried either format.

JackS

Supporting Actor
I just went through this myself. My criteria was 1st- a changer and that it be progressive to go with an upcoming HD raedy TV. 2nd- That it play either SACD or DVD-A. I would have bought a Sony for the SACD, which I would have preffered, but as luck would wave it, no such unit from Sony exists at present. I bought the CP-72 which takes care of DVD-A, and at some latter time I will purchase either a standalone SACD player or possibly another DVDP with SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks