What's new

sony BDV-N590 speaker upgrade advice? (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The systems I referred you to are complete replacements; sorry I misunderstood too.

I you want to buy replacements, you have two choices: find the exact same Sony speakers (with the proprietary connectors), or find 3 ohm speakers and splice them in (this is not a horrible option as long as you don't spend more than, say, $30.

You could get "standard" speakers and splice them in also. (Okay, so 3 options.) Problem is, most "standard" speakers are either 4 ohm or 8 ohm. if you get 8 ohm speakers they will sound very faint, and if you try to turn up the volume to compensate you'll almost certainly blow your receiver. 4 ohm speakers actually tend to be expensive, so they probably won't be an option.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
The same pair was also available on Amazon US.

I'm not familiar with Pyramid, but I'm curious, why is that hard to believe?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Pyramid is flea-market fodder. A step or two below Pyle even. Just my opinion of course (but I'm right :P ). I remember buying their crap at the San Jose Flea Market in the '80's. Their stuff only lasted a couple of weeks at best.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Pyramid....I can just see them lined up with the Boss audio, Lanzar, and others at the flea market. Thanks for that memory.

OP I think you need to decide what you're going to replace in this system. I see you having three options

[*]Move the rears up front and buy new rear speakers. You only need one set cheap speakers to fill in the sound out back. If they are higher ohm'ed who cares just put the levels up in the rear. Example
[*]Replace the front three with better quality speakers of the same brand (timbre matched) and adjust as necessary. Example
[*]Replace all the speakers except for the sub with new better quality speakers so that you can match all 5. This will cost the most but will probably sound the best. Example
[/list]

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Pyramid....I can just see them lined up with the Boss audio, Lanzar, and others at the flea market. Thanks for that memory."

I would put Boss...even Lanzar...ahead of Pyramid. I wouldn't put Pyramid stuff in a Yugo.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Yugo you say...you mean like the one at the flea market outside the audio booth...odd you should mention that.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Hi ArmSC, many thanks for your advice. I have taken you up on a few items you posted. Firstly I have bought a replacment speaker for the sony (from ebay us) so I can sell it next year and go for a seperate av amp/speaker config. Next i`m going to buy cheap speakers to use for the time being before selling. I have looked at the onkyo sks-22x they sell for £90 pounds here. I also have seen 2 pioneer speaker sets, I own a kuro 9 so thought it would compliment the look. The 2 sets are the pioneer ssl100 5.0 for £50 and the pioneer s-hs100 5.1 which sells for £99 here at "richer sounds" could you please give me your thoughts on these 3 speaker sets and reccomendations.
Many thanks for your earlyer reply and help and looking forward to hearing from you again.
Mike williams

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Why not just see if Sony can or will replace the original blown pair?

Michael Williams

Auditioning
Just to put that argument to bed. Sony wants £60 just to send it off to their repair centre. My nearest sony outlet is now in a town called Worcester which is a 70 mile round trip x 2 would probably cost more than £20 in fuel. There not helping much so I'm not any better off. It would just be easier to do it this way. Which is why I'm asking for armsc view on the speakers, one of which he recommended.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
There is no point on the s-hs100. You can't use that sub, at all. Unless you plan to keep in storage till you buy a real AVR. Both those speaker sets are 8ohm....repeating...again.Those are 8 ohm. If your n590 can produce enough power, before getting into speaker killing distortion levels, go for it.I'll hedge the bet those speakers will last 60-90 days dealing with being fed crap power.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
omg, schan i thought you might have got the hint your feedback/ ill penned so called advice isn`t needed anymore. My post regarding the speakers was clearly for armsc as the opening line states. Since you have decided to piggyback on this again may I again point out to you that you have yet again not read the post clearly or just do not understand or even fail to want to see what armsc is talking about.
you will find he suggested 3 solutions 2 of which i have decided to take up on.
armsc suggested I buy 3 speakers to relpace the front ones and onkyo was a concideration, you should also remember after I pointed out to you that I had no wish to replace the sub! so both the pioneer speaker sets were to just replace the front speakers again which you should have realised by now!
I was asking armsc on his advice/opinion on the pioneer speakers v the onkyo ones.
Your only usefull bit of input was the 8ohms of speakers information, but judging on your failing to understand what you read as per my last comments to you on this thread I will wait for someone elses advice.
On a final note schan the Pioneer s-hs100 speakers have a impendence resistance of 6ohms! as to paraphrase repeating..... again....6ohms! (the same as the onkyo speakers as armsc suggested) again failing to understand what you read. It shudders me to see your a HTF expert reviewer!

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Michael Williams said:
2. Never argue with an idiot, he/she will just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience!
Thanks for the advice - following it has been (and will continue to be) one of my wisest decisions of late.

If I may offer some advice of my own:

Accept with humility and gratitude the gift of knowledge that comes from experience that far exceeds your own. Growth through knowledge sharing is not something that should be dismissed with a naive wave of the hand because it lies in stark contrast to your own preconceived notions.

Cheers and good luck to you.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Michael, without question I would go with the onkyo set of speakers. You're getting two-way speakers vs. the one way versions that come in the pioneer sets. I'm thinking if you're going to upgrade then go with the two-ways if you have the funds. Plus going that route you don't have to store a sub that you won't need.

You're going to have to readjust your system after putting these up front (disregard the center/surround label on them) to even out the volume levels but I think it's worth a go.

Michael Williams

Auditioning
A very big thanks, i`ve just ordered them, the last new set available in the uk! The sony has a configuration set up sort of app that uses some sort of mic which you place where you usualy sit and it takes care of the rest but you can do a manual one. the system is spot on measuring the distance from the speakers but as for the rest i can`t say. should I go for the auto config or seek advice on the levels?
I`m afraid i would open a whole can of worms again!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
If it were me I would rerun the auto config with the new speakers and let the system do it's magic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks