What's new

Sony Bdp-S300: Dolby TrueHD with latest firmware (1 Viewer)

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

While the 300 can decode Dolby True HD internally as far as I know it can not bitstream Dolby True HD. So your Pioneer VSX-91TXH will not say Dolby True HD on the display, I am sure the only thing it will say is multi channel in. You would have to get a player that can bitstream if you want the revciever to do the decoding.

I own the BDP-S300 and while it is a nice player it does not bitstream anything but standard lossy Dolby Digital & DTS. I use the multi channel analog out when listening to Dolby True HD. I believe that if you go into the setup menu/audio and then choose PCM for the audio HDMI. That should send the decoded Dolby True HD as PCM audio via HDMI. Otherwise you can decode it in the player and send it out via multi-channel out on the player. But you will limit yourself to 5.1 via the analog audio outputs, and I believe that you can do 7.1 via HDMI.

surfun

Auditioning
Real Name
michael
Hi David,

Thanks for your reply.

When setting the Audio output on the Sony BDP-S300 to "PCM", and using the auto surround feature of my Pioneer receiver, I see "PCM + PLII" decoding. Hard to say, but I don't think it sounds as good as the "Dolby Digital + PLIIX Movie" decoding which is what I get if I set the BDP-S300 Audio setting to "HDMI".

Do you really think selecting PCM is sending along the Dolby True HD decoding to the Pioneer?

I'm also not sure what you mean when you say "Otherwise you can decode it in the player and send it out via multi-channel out on the player. " By player, do you mean the BDP-S300, and what setting to achieve on the player to achieve that? Is that something specific to the analog outputs? I'm using an HDMI cable.

I guess I'm struggling with why Sony would create a firmware update to decode Dolby True HD, but not provide a way to output that decoding??
More baffling is that nobody at Sony seems to be able to answer this question, or at least I haven't found em yet!

michael

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I performed the firmware update last week, and I'm now ready to connect via the analog outputs on the Sony to my nine year old Marantz SR7000. What is the correct internal setting on the Sony BDP300 for receiving Dolby True HD this way?...or does it matter?

Also, I was thinking about picking up the Pioneer 51FD at a close-out price. I noticed the analog outputs offer surround and back surround connections. What would be the proper choice for downmixing to 5.1?

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
If you are going to use the analog outputs on the Sony BDP-S300. And since you have done the firmware update to decode Dolby True HD. All you need to do is select the multi-channel input on your receiver. Using the analog output will automatically downmix anything that is 6.1 or 7.1 to a 5.1 mix. Unless you have a player that has 7.1 I wouldn't worry about downmixing anything. Now if you are talking about downmixing audio down to 5.1 via HDMI that would be a menu setting on the player. Otherwise you shouldn't have to do anything if you are using the analog output to your receiver.

Now for the Pioneer 51FD I would think that you would have a menu choice to down mix all content to 5.1 via analog output. And I would also guess that you would use the surround channel and not the back surround. The back surround if I am not mistaken is basically channel 6 & 7 that was added to the 5.1 configuration. If I am mistaken please let me know if I have this messed up or not?

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks a lot, Dave.

After posting earlier, I did some research here on the Pioneer Blu-ray 51FD and have crossed it off my list. With all the glitch issues I've had with the Sony S300 (not to mention the equal opportunity headaches with my Toshiba HD-DVD units) I don't need to borrow any more trouble.

On a positive note, Sony's firmware updates improved the player's performance substantially.

I'm planning to watch the Blu-ray version of From Russia With Love this evening. This disc features "DTS HD 5.1 Master Lossless Audio". Any idea how this will be handled through the analog inputs? I don't think the latest firmware upgrade referred to DTS in any way, but I might of missed something.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
The Sony BDP-S300 will not decode DTS-HD MA and it will not bitstream it. How ever you can still decode the standard DTS core track ether inside the player or you can use a digital coaxal connection or fiber to your receiver to decode the core DTS track. And I agree the latest firmware updates do improve the players performance. This player has done what I needed it to do, to be my first entry level player to get me into Bluray high definition. But since it does not decode DTS-HD MA and does not bitstream it. I personally will be upgrading to ether a Denon DVD-2500 Bluray or to something that is its equivelent.

I will also be upgrading my old Yamaha RX-V995 5.1 reciever to a Denon AVR-3808ci 7.1 receiver that will do all the decoding. All I need is a bluray player that will bitstream everything. But if you do not care about that then the Sony BDP-S300 does a good job IMHO. Even considering that it does not decode DTS-HD MA. I had the Pioneer Elite on my want list but I also took it off my list after hearing about the glitches.

serraniruben

Auditioning
Real Name
serrani ruben
Hi all,
IS THE VIDEO QUALITY OF THE SONY 300 EQUAL TO A NEW DESIGN, OR IS A OBSOLET PRODUCT?
Rubén

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard

The Blu-ray video quality is fine, it is lack of handling of DTS-HD MA that is one big shortcoming. Thankfully, the core 1.5Mbps DTS stream is very good and a lot of people continue to use the player without complaint. It is also very slow loading discs. No Profile 1.1, no profile 2.0, no DTS-HD MA, and no bitstream of Dolby TrueHD means I wouldn't buy the player today. I have the even older Sony BDP-S1 and Sony has done a great job with firmware updates and the player is in the exact same position as this model. Since it plays all Blu-ray discs I have tried and only can't handle some features, I am not going to call it obsolete but will call it limited.

Chris

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I agree with Chris this player does have it's limitations but I am not sure I would call it obsolete ether. It is a basic Bluray player by todays standards IMHO but it still does a good job. I personally do not care about the BD live part of the player not being there. The only thing I wish it could do is bitstream Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA. It would have been nice if it at least decoded DTS-HD MA but ultimately I would have wanted it to bitstream everything minimum. I will be upgrading this player in the near future after I buy my new receiver. But I will definantly keep my BDP-S300 as a back up or maybe just use it in a second room once I upgrade my current 50" HDTV.

I wouldn't buy this player today as I believe that there are better players out now. And it is not hard to find a player that decodes everything or one that bitstreams everything. I would also say that there are players that most likely have a better HD picture and do a better job upscaling SD-DVD's. But when it was new it was a good player for the money.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator

What is the output from the analog connections in this case? I watched From Russia with Love this way, and it sounded like mono, but then again, I don't know how aggressive the 5.1 version is suppossed to sound.

While I do have a little upgrade fever (although I'm stubbornly holding onto my decade old Marantz brick s***house receiver), I suspect a little patience will be rewarded. In another month or two, players like this will hit the market, and if nothing else, drive down all the price points:

Vizio VBR100: Pretty $200 BD-Live Blu-ray Player

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Depending on the content on the disc the player should be configured at 5.1 at all times. It just depends on how the movie was mixed and if it is actually playing a 5.1 mix or a stereo mix. But if something is 5.1 you should get 5.1 through your analog outputs.

If you are really happy with your Marantz receiver and have no problem with the player doing the decoder. Well I would keep your Marantz and look into the posibility of adding the Vizio. I would wait long enough to look into the reviews and see if there are any serious issues with this new player or not? I am not a big fan of off brands myself but for the money if it doesn't have any bad quirks it may be a good deal especially if it decodes everything.

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
The analog setting does present a somewhat different mix. (Perhaps I'm being deceived by the lower signal level though). I'm reluctant to change the channel settings, as I suspect the more frequently used digital settings will be moved out of whack.
Yes, the Vizio at this price point, seems a little to good to be true, if it performs as promised. In any case, I imagine this player, and others like it from the Korean conglomerates, will drive down the price of the name brand players in the not too distant future.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
I bought this player and I wish I had DTS HD audio, but the "core" audio sounds better than any DVD I've ever heard, so I won't complain too much. I could care less about BD Live. As far as HD quality, WOW. I cannot tell a difference between the picture on the player and the picture on a PS3. If all you want to do is watch movies, and don't mind lack of bells and whistles, you will be satisfied with this player. Especially if you can pick it up for under $150!

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I read on another forum, without explanation, that Dolby True HD decoding is only available now via HDMI. In other words, it is not supported by the analog outputs. Can anyone here confirm this?

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Unless the last firmware update (4.5) changed something, TrueHD should still be available through the analog outputs. Sony hasn't said anything about disabling it.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
When did this firmware get released? They did a firmware update at Ultimate Electronics when I bought it but am wondering if I am getting Dolby Tru HD out of the analog outs. How do I know? How do I set it up to do so?

Shad R

Supporting Actor
anybody?
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks