What's new

Sony BDP-S1: Serious Banding/Interlace Issue (1 Viewer)

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
BR Player: Sony BDP-S1
Display: Sony KP-53XBR300 (Max. resolution: 1080i)
Connection: component

Hi,

I've noticed a serious problem with the image produced by the Sony player on my display with both BR and SD-DVD. There are 'bands' that take up up to a third of the image that have a different black level than the rest of the image. It happens consistently throughout the film and now that my eyes have adjusted, I can spot these bands in every DVD I play.

I'm hoping this is merely a calibration issue in that the set was ISF calibrated a few years ago for a different DVD player. Alternatively, could this be a hardware problem with the set? Would an external video processor help?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to run through VE/Avia again but I doubt I'll make much of an impact.

Thanks.

SherardP

Stunt Coordinator
no probs like that with my sony player, try adjusting the set. Im running HDMI though.

Karim Nogas

Stunt Coordinator
Thankfully, I don't think it's a hardware issue but a calibration issue. After running through Avia and VE, it became apparent that the brightness setting was the main culprit. Unfortunately, the pseudo-correct calibration level has made the set extremely dark. I found Underworld: Evolution to be virtually unwatchable because of how dark it is. I'm not sure if the image is accurate at all.

Short of getting another ISF calibration, I don't think there's much more I can do.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Perhaps you may be able to get a better image with the new HD DVD DVE disc. It was delayed, but I believe it will get a new release date soon.

I can't believe it works for HD DVD only.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks