Sony BDP-S1: Serious Banding/Interlace Issue

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Karim Nogas, Feb 9, 2007.

1. Karim Nogas

Karim Nogas Stunt Coordinator

BR Player: Sony BDP-S1
    Display: Sony KP-53XBR300 (Max. resolution: 1080i)
    Connection: component

Hi,

I've noticed a serious problem with the image produced by the Sony player on my display with both BR and SD-DVD. There are 'bands' that take up up to a third of the image that have a different black level than the rest of the image. It happens consistently throughout the film and now that my eyes have adjusted, I can spot these bands in every DVD I play.

I'm hoping this is merely a calibration issue in that the set was ISF calibrated a few years ago for a different DVD player. Alternatively, could this be a hardware problem with the set? Would an external video processor help?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm going to run through VE/Avia again but I doubt I'll make much of an impact.

Thanks.

2. SherardP

SherardP Stunt Coordinator

no probs like that with my sony player, try adjusting the set. Im running HDMI though.

3. Karim Nogas

Thankfully, I don't think it's a hardware issue but a calibration issue. After running through Avia and VE, it became apparent that the brightness setting was the main culprit. Unfortunately, the pseudo-correct calibration level has made the set extremely dark. I found Underworld: Evolution to be virtually unwatchable because of how dark it is. I'm not sure if the image is accurate at all.

Short of getting another ISF calibration, I don't think there's much more I can do.

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Perhaps you may be able to get a better image with the new HD DVD DVE disc. It was delayed, but I believe it will get a new release date soon.

I can't believe it works for HD DVD only.

Cees

5. Karim Nogas

Thanks for that. I'll keep my eyes open for it.