What's new

SONY BD Player- Digital Audio Out issue (1 Viewer)

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
I just got a BX-510 BD Player and the audio output is connected to my non-HDMI 5.1 receiver via digital audio out. I have an optical cable that was previously used for my PS3 and then used for a Samsung BD Player that I did not keep. I got 5.1 with both.

However, this new Sony has a digital coax output. So, I am using the optical cable with an optical/coax converter and getting just 3.1 (L,R Ctr). The two rear surrounds are dead.

Your thoughts? Is the Sony defective? Is it possible for the converter to be shaving off two channels?? I have used this device before and it had been working fine. Thanks

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
Figured it was likely to be the converter and it was. Apparently, they are directional. This one is optical in/coax out and I was trying to use it the other direction.

I have never asked but are they converters detrimental to the SQ?

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
Oh, it does, but the route for running the coax cable is a bit circuitous with furniture moving, etc. Just trying to use what was already there.

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
They are on opposite ends of a long, heavy cabinet. The BD player went into the same location that the PS3 was. Just had to put the converter on the end of the Toslink and add a short length of coax to plug into the BD player.

So, are these converters bad (when used properly, that is)? I plan on yanking out the cabinet to run coax, just need to wait for some back issues to resolve.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Was this PS or Samsung ever connected to this AVR via composite or component?If yes, is either still there?(Digital coax, composite/component and shielded subwoofer are the same cable)

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
That would have been nice, but, no. They were connected directly to the TV for video, and I am using the AVR for audio only.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The converters don't cause any loss of audio quality. Personally, I think I would have run a coax cble instead of adding the converter, because I like to keep things as simple as possible. However, there's no reason it shouldn't work just fine as long as you have the right converter and your cables are good.

Larbo

Grip
Real Name
Larry B
Thanks for the info on the converters. I will re-cable as soon as I can. Best...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks