What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Robert13
3 of the 4 "Hart to Hart" movies were shipped yesterday. One of them (for some reason) is said to be out of stock. So I'm still waiting for that one to be shipped.

Has anyone had a better experience ordering directly from Sony's store? I think this is the first and last time I order from Deep Discount.
I have been perfectly happy with ordering from the Sony store. The complete order was shipped out within three days of the order and I received the titles four days latter. Still waiting on my order from DD and only half has been shipped separately. This is the last time I will order from Deep Discount ever!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have used Deep Discount since it first came into being. DD is based in Illinois where I live. The warehouse is across the street from the company. I sometimes received my dvds on street date or a day before. Cheap prices fast service free shiping. I loved them. 2009 I place my order for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Season 4. I waited I waited I called nothing. I kept calling CS. Customer Service cared less. I asked for another copy I was told 6 weeks or two months before they would help me out. I asked for someone higher to speak with. I asked them to look at my buying record. The person acknowleged I had done lots of business with them for some years. The answer they gave me we can't help you. I told them I was going else where your choice was the response. I was astounded. Time passed after travelling 100 miles to get my Voyage dvd from Borders my borders had sold out. I call DD and said now do I get my money since your date has passed. Yes and they did a refund. I said suppose it shows up which indeed it did. I could be dishonest and keep it but I will not. I am sure not paying the shipping back to you. I returned it at their cost. I am now an Amazon customer for life. I today received 15 buck refund from them which they do if there is a better price. Amazon has done this before fpr me. I want to also say use Market Place you can really pick up good deals really good ones and Amazon covers you. I am not bashing DD just a accurate report of the facts. I say use them if you want but I shall not.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My dealings with DD are pretty much the same as yours Mark . I had been a very active and happy buyer from them for years . Over the last year i've got to the point where i won't buy from them unless it's just too good a deal to pass up . My problems with them have been outrageous shipping time and in stock items that become out of stock after you order .

I currently have two titles that were sent out , one at a time , over two weeks ago . . one on the 13th the other 15th . I called today to check on the orders . I was told that they would refund and reship the one from the 13th and i would have to wait a couple of days on the other one before they would reship. When i expressed my concerns on the long shipping time from DD she became very defensive and kept trying to talk over me . Saying it's not their fault . I don't know it's just very strange that i keep having the same problem . with the shipments from them and no one else .

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Some huge change has definitely taken place over the past year or so. I regret to say it, but consider me another ex-customer.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Can we please keep discussion on the Sony program? I keep checking the new posts only to find them about DD.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Wow, all this talk about Deep Discount . . . I have never ordered from the, but after hearing all this, don't think I ever will. Better take them off my blog now.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My comment on DD had to do with sony mods ordered from DD . I think that fits your criteria .

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
For insanely cheap DVDs, I tend to shop at DVD PACIFIC, problem is I don't think they are carriers of Warner's or Sony's DVD-Rs.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Originally Posted by borisfw
My dealings with DD are pretty much the same as yours Mark . I had been a very active and happy buyer from them for years . Over the last year i've got to the point where i won't buy from them unless it's just too good a deal to pass up . My problems with them have been outrageous shipping time and in stock items that become out of stock after you order .

I currently have two titles that were sent out , one at a time , over two weeks ago . . one on the 13th the other 15th . I called today to check on the orders . I was told that they would refund and reship the one from the 13th and i would have to wait a couple of days on the other one before they would reship. When i expressed my concerns on the long shipping time from DD she became very defensive and kept trying to talk over me . Saying it's not their fault . I don't know it's just very strange that i keep having the same problem . with the shipments from them and no one else .
I had the exact same experience you describe with three orders in a row. This trick of in-stock items becoming out-of-stock and back-ordered the moment you make the purchase is essentially dishonest. It turns one transaction into several transactions. It cheats the so-called shipping discount. When you call customer service they are rude, adversarial, and not above lying outright. Never again.

I expect Deep Discount is taking orders for Sony MOD's before they've actually received them, before they're in stock. Forget the discount. Buy them directly from Sony.

I ordered A STUDY IN TERROR directly from Sony to upgrade my region 2 full screen DVD and will keep an eye on the progress of this new MOD service.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
I'm waiting for 5 out of 10 I ordered in the last sale and 4 out of 5 of them are my freebies. Never again.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Originally Posted by SWFF
For insanely cheap DVDs, I tend to shop at DVD PACIFIC, problem is I don't think they are carriers of Warner's or Sony's DVD-Rs.
They aren't, which rules them out for anyone outside of the USA.

These discussions about DD are valid in the MOD threads, because for international customers DD are the store of choice because they carry most of them - not only the Sony ones but the Warners as well.

For people like me it just adds another layer of loathing for MOD - the low quality and premium price are joined with making the damn things hard to get hold of!

I used to use DVDPacific a lot, their customer service was fantastic, with good prices, fast turnaround and accurate stoock indicators. I haven't used them since they changed management as my browsers all complain that their payments pages are not properly encrypted. I suspect that in fact the payment bit is, but not thr whole page but still I'm not risking it. I emailed them about this, they acknowledged it but have done nothing.

It must cost them custom because the old Pacific had a very high rep for overseas buyers and many of us used them.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
I ordered direct from Sony and it shipped on the 22nd and haven't received it yet...it says media mail and I'm guessing these are shipped from California and I'm in NY..so I'm sure different for others. On the plus side they did ship it the day after I ordered.

CULTMAN1

Second Unit
Real Name
Bruce Campbell
Mike its relevant about DD as they ar eone of the principal suppliers of Columbia MOD and in my estimation, as Critics Circle, they are not good at looking after customer needs especially overseas. Ive gone to Movies Unlimited who are a breath of fresh air.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Originally Posted by ahollis
I now have three of the four I ordered from DD shipped, all separately and none have arrived.

Four of five Sony MOD which I ordered from DD have been shipped, but none have arrived as of today.

An order I placed with Warner Archive on 9/24 was shipped media mail from Itasca and arrived today.

MAN ON A STRING was shipped on 9/17 by DD, still no sign of it. The other three were shipped in the past few days.

I suspect that when DD sends a shipment notifcation, what it really means is that it has been packed for shipment. Who knows when it actually gets to the Post Office?

Jobla

Supporting Actor
I'm very happy with my first three titles (THE MAD ROOM, VALLEY OF THE DRAGONS, A REFLECTION OF FEAR), as all three are anamorphic 1:85-1. Yesterday, I attempted to order some more Sony titles from Critics Choice, but they are "not currently available" (which sounds like backorder to me). I'm not certain why MOD products wouldn't be "in stock." Anyway, I'll wait a week or so and then see if the titles are "available" again.

bgart13

Screenwriter
Real Name
Ben
Has anyone found any reviews of these anywhere yet? I'm sure they'll be fine, but would like at least one review before I order THE MIND OF MR. SOAMES.

MichaelEl

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Richard--W
I had the exact same experience you describe with three orders in a row. This trick of in-stock items becoming out-of-stock and back-ordered the moment you make the purchase is essentially dishonest. It turns one transaction into several transactions. It cheats the so-called shipping discount.
DD just pulled the same trick on me with A STUDY IN TERROR. What's worse, the website won't allow me to cancel the order.

I don't see how they can do that given that the title isn't in stock, and there's not even a time frame for when it will be in stock. I've never had Amazon or any other e-tailer refuse to cancel an order on an out-of-stock item.

It's one thing for a store to make a mistake on what it has in stock, quite another to refuse a cancellation request on an item that's out-of-stock. I think the latter is tantamount to consumer fraud.

BradleyS

Stunt Coordinator
Just give them a call and they'll cancel the order. You've never been able to cancel via the DD website.

I agree that the "it's in stock! actually, no!" practice is shady and very annoying. I waited until the discs were listed as "in stock" before placing my order, only to see them listed as "backorder" in the order confirmation. Since all of these discs are being burned by a DD sister company, why is this such a hassle?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Several (including SOAMES, one of those TV staples that disappeared in the cable age) are reviewed here: http://www.mondo-digital.com/sickpicks16.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks