What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Is there a list somewhere of Sony's new MOD releases? I used keep up to date with them from their press site but ever since the hacking they took the site down and haven't put it back up yet.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Is there a list somewhere of Sony's new MOD releases? I used keep up to date with them from their press site but ever since the hacking they took the site down and haven't put it back up yet.
Sony pools its MOD DVD distribution and marketing with Warner Archive (the gold standard, I think it's safe to say, in unearthing catalog titles on MOD DVD). You can find their titles by going to the "Studios" tab on the Warner Archives page:

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/category/studios/sony+pictures+choice+collection.do?nType=1

You can also find the titles on Amazon; look up Sony Pictures Choice Collection.

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
It really is mind-boggling as to why we haven't seen more of the two-reelers get released... like the Harry Langdon's or the Andy Clyde's and so on and so on. It doesn't seem to be a sales issue. The second set of Charley Chase shorts (released over a year ago) is currently the second-highest selling Sony MOD title at Warner Archive's website. The first set, released over two years ago, is currently in the top 50.

Langdon's output could be done in two single-disc sets, like the Chase's were.

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
revgen said:
Since Warner Archive has moved to WB shop, it's now almost impossible to find any of the Sony MOD titles.
I typed Sony into the WBshop search box at the top of the page ("What are you looking for") and got 549 hits, the vast majority of them their MOD releases.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
rdf8585 said:
It really is mind-boggling as to why we haven't seen more of the two-reelers get released... like the Harry Langdon's or the Andy Clyde's and so on and so on. It doesn't seem to be a sales issue. The second set of Charley Chase shorts (released over a year ago) is currently the second-highest selling Sony MOD title at Warner Archive's website. The first set, released over two years ago, is currently in the top 50.

Langdon's output could be done in two single-disc sets, like the Chase's were.

Because Sony doesn't want to spend the expense or cost to deal with the shorts,cartoons and serials. Without a possible sale to TCM or GetTV, there is no motivation.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
Their output slowed down a lot - only 1 new title per month if any...

The Unwritten Code (1944) in January

Gran Hotel (1944) in April

The Power of the Whistler (1945) in May

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
On the one hand nice to see a Whistler movie finally come out on the other hand sorry to see this because I hoped all of the Whistlers would have come out in a box set.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
ValLewton said:
On the one hand nice to see a Whistler movie finally come out on the other hand sorry to see this because I hoped all of the Whistlers would have come out in a box set.

A couple are tied-in in some rights issues - not sure, might be story issues.

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
I'd heard about the rights issues which have been preventing a home video release. Still hoped they would get those resolved and release a box set or at least get them into a film noir set. Thankfully most of these have aired on TCM and been shown at Film Noir festivals.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Professor Echo said:
I guess that JUNGLE JIM Box Set will never see the light of day. I wish TCM would air those again so I could fill some holes in my collection.
I too would love a box set or two of the Jungle Jim series. When the Sony MOD program started they released several titles in startlingly excellent transfers. I wish they would have continued. The series is a very enjoyable 60 minutes of fluff.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
ahollis said:
I too would love a box set or two of the Jungle Jim series. When the Sony MOD program started they released several titles in startlingly excellent transfers. I wish they would have continued. The series is a very enjoyable 60 minutes of fluff.

I believe they were all prepped for a pressed box set release, but the announcement date kept getting pushed back. I asked our friend Mike Schlesinger about it at the time and he said it faded away once the format of DVD stopped being as successful as it had been. We're lucky that they released some as MODs, but it would have been so nice to get the entire series, pressed or burned.

And I agree with you about the movies, they are perfect, timeless Saturday matinee fun with no pretension or ambition besides enthusiastically filling your imagination for an hour.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
How about a JUNGLE JIM Blu-Ray set?

Maybe throw on some shorts and serial chapters, and the odd screen-gems/upa cartoon....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That would be a great set but unfortunately it sounds too good to be true. We would probably be lucky to get a double feature on Blu Ray.

DeWilson said:
How about a JUNGLE JIM Blu-Ray set?

Maybe throw on some shorts and serial chapters, and the odd screen-gems/upa cartoon....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks