What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
One thing that has amazed me about Sony, at this point, is how we still haven't gotten the Peter Lorre thriller, THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK (1941) on disc yet... this despite the umpteen Columbia noir/crime/horror collections, the licensing to numerous other disc labels and the Sony Archive MOD business being up and running for years. It's not as though the film hasn't been transferred to digital, as TCM ran a good-looking print a couple of times just a few years ago.

Not only does it star Lorre, at his peak, but has the additional marketing hook that it was directed by Robert Florey, who made the classic Universal horror, MURDERS IN THE RUE MORGUE (1932) with Bela Lugosi, and later directed Lorre in one of his more famous films, THE BEAST WITH FIVE FINGERS (1946)... plus, co-star Evelyn Keyes, who headlined several films Sony has released on DVD and/or MOD (HERE COMES MR. JORDON, THE LADY IN QUESTION, BEFORE I HANG, LADIES IN RETIREMENT, THERE'S SOMETHING ABOUT A SOLDIER, THE DESPERADOES, JOHNNY O'CLOCK, MR. SOFT TOUCH, THE KILLER WHO STALKED NEW YORK).

While not an A-list classic, it's a well-made and rather highly-regarded B film, aimed at both the crime thriller and horror movie crowds, which makes its continued absence on the format (even as a MOD) a real head-scratcher, considering some of what Sony has put out on MOD disc over the last few years.
face_behind_mask_poster_05_small_zps2861f16b.jpg

the-face-behind-the-mask-movie-poster-1941-1020458011_zpsfb076398.jpg

picture_zps93875e42.jpeg

FACEBEHINDTHEMASK_zps407cf5eb.jpg

facebehind_zpse9dbdece.jpg

thefacebehindthemask1941_it_zpsdb966631.jpg

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
borisfw said:
It's not like there's not enough new to DVD films for them to release . Like Boston Blackie's ,Jungle Jims, Lone Wolf, Whistler and Crime Doctor .
Not to mention they have masters ready to go on the series films. Not to mention the dozens of films that have aired on TCM, GETtv, EncoreWesterns over the last couple of years - all new/recent transfers ready to go,

ValLewton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alex Renskoff
With both the Whistler series and Crime Doctor series I'm still hoping those get released as box sets under the TCM vault.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
December titles -
NEW to DVD:
El extra (1962)(with Cantinflas)
Sube y baja (1959) (with Cantinflas)
Thunderhoof (1948) (directed by Phil Karlson)

Back in print:
Cirque du Soleil: Nouvelle Expérience (1991)
Mary Reilly (1996)
The Secret Lives of Dentists (2002)
Threesome (1994)
You'll Never Get Rich (1941)

rdf8585

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rdf8585
Nothing for me, either. I'm still waiting for Sony to release more of the Columbia two-reelers... really puzzling why they haven't considering the Charley Chase MOD sets sold well by all accounts.

FrankXS

Second Unit
Still can't understand the fact that the Joan Crawford title, "They All Kissed the Bride" has not been released by Sony/Columbia !

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
GregoryMesh said:
December titles -
NEW to DVD:
El extra (1962)(with Cantinflas)
Sube y baja (1959) (with Cantinflas)
Thunderhoof (1948) (directed by Phil Karlson)

Back in print:
Cirque du Soleil: Nouvelle Expérience (1991)
Mary Reilly (1996)
The Secret Lives of Dentists (2002)
Threesome (1994)
You'll Never Get Rich (1941)
Do the Cantinflas films come with English subs.?

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I really hope that someone releases Open Season (1974) with Peter Fonda, John Phillip Law & William Holden. Peter Fonda starred in so many great films. It's sad that we're still waiting for some to be released.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Doug Bull said:
Still hoping that "YOU CAN'T RUN AWAY FROM IT" will make it's way to DVD.

I'm not sure why this well cast Musical remake of "IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT" has been so far neglected.

attachicon.gif
ycrafi 1.jpg

Doug.
Not sure but I heard there were some rights issues. But as you I love to add this to my collection. Too bad Criterion could not have added it to their Blu of IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
WadeM said:
I really hope that someone releases Open Season (1974) with Peter Fonda, John Phillip Law & William Holden. Peter Fonda starred in so many great films. It's sad that we're still waiting for some to be released.
Columbia lost the rights to this years ago. It's owned by its Spanish producer who has rejected offers as large as $30,000 for the rights. It's going to be a long time before we see this back in circulation.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
Mark Edward Heuck said:
Columbia lost the rights to this years ago. It's owned by its Spanish producer who has rejected offers as large as $30,000 for the rights. It's going to be a long time before we see this back in circulation.
Thanks for the update. Must be nice to be able to reject $30,000.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
This is long over due . . . and why?

Tank Force 1a.jpg

I prefer the original title No Time To Die but either way this film should have been released by now. Sony have already released some of the early Cubby Broccoli films on MOD, so why is this one still not available?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks