What's new

Sony Archive MOD (1 Viewer)

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
And I have on laser SONG WITHOUT END, which is widescreen and wonderful stereo sound, so I expect it to be stereo, probably only two track or dolby encoded, but stereo nevertheless.

ChuckWL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chuck
Originally Posted by Dick /forum/thread/303760/sony-archive-mod#post_3727799

I see that A STUDY IN TERROR, rumored to be coming to commercial DVD just ahead of the Robert Downey Jr. SHERLOCK HOLMES, has now been relegated to MOD. That would still be okay with me, but nowhere in the descriptions does it tell me if this is an anamorphic print. It does say "Newly Remastered" and "1.85:1." But I already have a 1.85:1 letterbox DVD from the UK, and would only buy this again if it's enhanced.

<

Yes this will be a must buy for me as it features on of my good friends actress Barbera Windsor! Cannot wait!!

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
As always, I am most interested to find out if any of the titles also include the original theatrical trailers. If not, then my TCM copies of most of these will suffice. Given Sony's track record of not putting trailers on their pressed DVDs (at least one for the main movie), I'm not overly optimistic....

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I'm just curious, battlebeast. Will you purchase ANY film just because it got a best picture nomination ... regardless of quality or if you liked it? I mean there are several films that got nominated for best picture Oscars and some of them even won that I detest and can't see adding a film I actively dislike to a collection. Not a judgement, just asking.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I would think "no old masters were used on any title" would imply they are anamorphic. Why would anyone create NEW letterboxed transfers? But I could be wrong.

Originally Posted by Jay E

Thanks for the info...do you know if the widescreen films are anamorphic?

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
If the Columbia prints that have been shown on TCM are any indication, these should look great!! The online trailers look pretty darn good and there are some really fascinating titles. Now...if we only could get them discounted.....!!!

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Yes, they are.
Since you are in contact with Sony. Can you reassure that Sony will continue with both: standard catalog DVDs (Collector's Choice Series, Icons Of... Series) and MOD? Thanks.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Marcel H.
Since you are in contact with Sony. Can you reassure that Sony will continue with both: standard catalog DVDs (Collector's Choice Series, Icons Of... Series) and MOD? Thanks.
Now I have another sigh of relief.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Just got one of CRITIC'S CHOICE's catalogs in the mail today and they've got these movies in it. They state there's an initial 93 that are being released now with over 300 more that will eventually see the light of day in their MOD program.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by SWFF
Just got one of CRITIC'S CHOICE's catalogs in the mail today and they've got these movies in it. They state there's an initial 93 that are being released now with over 300 more that will eventually see the light of day in their MOD program.
I just love how they call it their MOD program, especially when even Movies Unlimited are selling the titles also.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny

Originally Posted by SWFF
400 Total? Sony isn't committing to more than that? That's an interesting number to settle at consitering the thousands of titles they own. Guess they are going to go a little slower than the Warner Archive.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Interesting in the different price points.

Sony Web Site----$19.94
Critic's Choice

$21.21
Movies Unlimited--$19.99
Deep Discount----$17.94

Sony does not show release date, while both Critic's Choice and Deep Discount are using 9/21 and Movies Unlimited has 10/15. It is also interesting that Deep Discount and Critic's Choice are owned by the same parent company.

I am looking forward to other titles being announced, I guess in October.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by DeWilson

400 Total? Sony isn't committing to more than that? That's an interesting number to settle at consitering the thousands of titles they own. Guess they are going to go a little slower than the Warner Archive.

I am sure it will depend how well this goes over.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Originally Posted by ahollis
I just love how they call it their MOD program, especially when even Movies Unlimited are selling the titles also.

That was me referring to it as their MOD program, not them. Maybe, I should have just said DVD-Rs, like I always do. The writer in me takes over some times, and "MOD program" sounded cooler than DVD-Rs.

Nebiroth

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Gregory
Certainly better than "inferior pennypinching editions sold for premium prices" which is certainly more accurate - if the Warner stuff is anything to go by, the restoration is minimal and the extras nonexistant and the price doubled

All on a medium that may decide to self-destruct at some unspecified point in the future.

SWFF

Screenwriter
Real Name
Shawn Francis
I probably should have done this to start off with, but there's how it's originally quoted in the catalog: Now available for the first time on DVD, Critic's Choice Video is proud to present the Columbia Pictures Classic Collection with the release of the first 93 titles out of more than 300 titles in their classics collection that will soon become available.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Nebiroth
Certainly better than "inferior pennypinching editions sold for premium prices" which is certainly more accurate - if the Warner stuff is anything to go by, the restoration is minimal and the extras nonexistant and the price doubled

All on a medium that may decide to self-destruct at some unspecified point in the future.
Your points are the reasons that I've limited my MOD buys to a very few as of the present time. I bought 1 set (Tarzan "Barker" movie set) from WB and one movie from the Universal MOD titles, one that I knew we'd never see a pressed release and had been on my short movie list for a long time.

Although for the most part, it's a moot issue for me since I've not seen titles that I'd be interested in buying, I'm hesitant on buying MOD's for the same reasons as you stated.

I wish the golden age of the pressed DVD mkt had lasted a little longer.

Brent S

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Seguine
Originally Posted by ahollis
Sony does not have release date
I ordered two titles from the Sony site two days ago. I received an email that they shipped this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks