What's new

Sony announces $11,000 36" TV (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
This is sort of being discussed (or, rather, the Qualia brand) in a thread in A/V Sources. I'll let this one stand, though.

But what an awful name. Why not "Excellentia" or "Supremia" or "Awesomia" or "Fantasticia" or ...

EdR

Second Unit
But what an awful name. Why not "Excellentia" or "Supremia" or "Awesomia" or "Fantasticia" or ...
It's a funny name, especially for anyone with a background in modern philosophy of mind, since the term "Qualia" has been discussed and argued in this field for several decades. The term was coined by the philosopher W. Quine.

A rough definition is the characteristics of your subjective sensory experience, for instance the exact qualities of "red" you experience when you look at a red apple, the gustatory experience you have when you taste an apple, etc. These are called 'qualia'

EDIT: If anyone's curious (hey, it's possible!), I found a definition in a dictionary of philosophy:

http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/q.htm

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Hey, I like the name. I'm interested in seeing a photo of the product, though. Sounds pretty sweet! Now it's time for me to take out a loan for $11,000.00.

Yeah...this loan is for...errr...an investment...yeah, that's it! An in...vest...ment. Yup. Mmm-hmmm. :D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I very much doubt that any 36" set can match the picture quality of my $6k front projector. :)

Jeremy Tebo

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure what I make of the "Qualia" name. Now that I know the meaning (thanks Ed), it sounds a little better. I'd have to go with Jack's "Awesomia" though. Or maybe Spectaculia.

Brian, I think you should go for it. You may need to take a quick trip to Tokyo if you don't want to wait, but I'm sure it would be worth it. :) The screen shots you could post here would be worth it alone.

I very much doubt that any $6k projector can match the quality of a $11k 36" set. Not to mention their new $20k projector. But I'm sure you $6k projector is super.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
You misquoted me by dropping the smiley, but as a happy owner of a Sony D50Q I side with you anyway :D Plus, TV doesn't match what's done in theaters to begin with ;)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Sorry Dmitry, smilies don't copy well. :) And we can't match film at home, but we can at least try to replicate movie theater conditions as closely as possible. :)

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
Minus the smell of burned popcorn, chewing gum stuck to the seat, cell phone calls and crying babies — I say it's well worth it!

John-Miles

Screenwriter
how about " look at this shiny bauble while we take you for everything your stupid enough to ahve"

or is that to bitter, maybe just crapulence would do?

seriously this really makes me think they are just trying to sell products to people who have too much money.

Its like one article i read about some guy who bought 4000 dollar line filters to make sure the electricity going to his stereo did not suffer if the fridge cut in..... really, come on 500 dollars would ahve had an electrician put in a dedicated line. but it really would not look as cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks