Sony announces $11,000 36" TV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeremy Tebo, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo Stunt Coordinator

CNN

Whaddya think? Who's getting one first?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

This is sort of being discussed (or, rather, the Qualia brand) in a thread in A/V Sources. I'll let this one stand, though.

But what an awful name. Why not "Excellentia" or "Supremia" or "Awesomia" or "Fantasticia" or ...

3. EdR

EdR Second Unit

4. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Hey, I like the name. I'm interested in seeing a photo of the product, though. Sounds pretty sweet! Now it's time for me to take out a loan for $11,000.00.

Yeah...this loan is for...errr...an investment...yeah, that's it! An in...vest...ment. Yup. Mmm-hmmm. [​IMG]

5. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

I very much doubt that any 36" set can match the picture quality of my $6k front projector. [​IMG]

6. Jeremy Tebo

Jeremy Tebo Stunt Coordinator

I'm not sure what I make of the "Qualia" name. Now that I know the meaning (thanks Ed), it sounds a little better. I'd have to go with Jack's "Awesomia" though. Or maybe Spectaculia.

Brian, I think you should go for it. You may need to take a quick trip to Tokyo if you don't want to wait, but I'm sure it would be worth it. [​IMG] The screen shots you could post here would be worth it alone.

I very much doubt that any $6k projector can match the quality of a $11k 36" set. Not to mention their new $20k projector. But I'm sure you $6k projector is super.

7. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

8. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

9. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

10. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

You misquoted me by dropping the smiley, but as a happy owner of a Sony D50Q I side with you anyway [​IMG] Plus, TV doesn't match what's done in theaters to begin with [​IMG]

11. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Sorry Dmitry, smilies don't copy well. [​IMG] And we can't match film at home, but we can at least try to replicate movie theater conditions as closely as possible. [​IMG]

12. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Minus the smell of burned popcorn, chewing gum stuck to the seat, cell phone calls and crying babies — I say it's well worth it!

13. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

One does wonder about that $20,300 projector - might this be the price of the coming SXRD projector?

14. keith jay

keith jay Auditioning

how about peculia or qualudia?

15. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

how about " look at this shiny bauble while we take you for everything your stupid enough to ahve"

or is that to bitter, maybe just crapulence would do?

seriously this really makes me think they are just trying to sell products to people who have too much money.

Its like one article i read about some guy who bought 4000 dollar line filters to make sure the electricity going to his stereo did not suffer if the fridge cut in..... really, come on 500 dollars would ahve had an electrician put in a dedicated line. but it really would not look as cool.